Customer reviews

on 21 October 2016
I like walking and climbing, and I work up a bit of a sweat doing so. This did not do my previous, leather-strapped watch any good, and the whole strap fell apart (curiously around the time the battery died). I needed a new watch, quickly. The nylon strap of this time watch appealed, and the muted colour scheme looks smart. It doesn't even look that cheap really.

There are a few things to be aware of though. The nylon strap is initially VERY sharp on the edges, and was uncomfortable to wear for about a week (it smoothed out after that). The ticking is really quite loud! I can't leave this watch on my bedside table at night. The light on the watch isn't correctly aligned with the watch face, and a small sliver at the bottom of the face is unlit. Not a deal breaker, but that does make it look cheap when lit.

The watch seems solid, and has dealt well with rocks and rain so far!
on 2 August 2013
I love watches. I have far too many, but I don't have enough. I'm sure you know what I mean ;)

This watch is absolutely amazing value for money, especially when it dips to £15.10 or thereabouts.

The Indiglo feature is far more efficient than having a light that lights up the face partially. With this watch, you'll be able to read the dial clearly regardless of the conditions. Speaking of which, being water resistant to 50m is far more than the majority of us need. It'll certainly be fine if you forget to take it off in the shower, or if your 'mates' decide to throw you in the pool.

I've owned 3 of these watches now (first one was stolen from my locker, and the second got lost during a drunken hike) and the most recent one is 4 months old, and the only time I've had to change the time is with seasonal changes. I don't bother with the date and would consider this watch perfect if it omitted it. Having said that, I've grown to ignore it, and with differing month lengths, leap years etc, I know it'll match up again within 24 years or so.

The strap could be a bit bigger as I need it on the last hole, as I'm a bit bigger than the average bear. However, it looks as though making another or even replacing the strap would be easy enough.

In a nutshell, this watch keeps good time, is tough, water resistant, and lights up when needed. Just what I want when I'm not 'forced' to put on a suit ;)
VINE VOICEon 17 January 2014
I like a functional watch and being in my 40's with aging eye sight I need something I can see without my glasses!!

This is a mans watch and I am a small framed lady but the watch is comfortable to wear. On its tightest setting it is still loose on my wrist but I don't mind this as I prefer that.

The numbers are flourescent in the dark which is quite useful and the watch has a loud tick by modern standards but I like that, it reminds me of being a child again with my trusty childrens timex.

This has a light facility but I find the button is a bit hard to press and use.

Great watch for the price and I will buy again (if necessary).
on 9 July 2014
Bought this on Amazon to replace the identical item (bought from Argos) which I'd mislaid. I have a good watch, an Omega but I needed a cheap, lightweight watch for working around the farm, something I could afford to write off if it got damaged. Must have had the first Timex Expedition for four years, it took a hammering, never ran out of battery and kept perfect time and, as I said, I only replaced it with the same thing because I lost it.
I like the plain, uncluttered design of this; some cheap watches are over-designed to say the least. The fabric strap is leather lined and comfortable, the face is clear and easy to read and pressing the winder lights the dial so that you can see it in the dark. All in all, a good buy for under thirty quid.
on 22 March 2014
I have had one of these on my wrist for over twenty years. They usually last three or four years and then I buy a new one,.mainly because its got tatty rather than Its failed me. The fabric strap Is pretty hard wearing but I spend a lot of time working with my hands in sea water which tends to wreck most things! I have bought both my teenage grandsons Expedition watches and they have worn them for a couple of years and are still going strong. The best thing is the night light but i also love the simple clear dial that is still obvious despite my ageing eyes! I did buy one a couple of years ago that the winder fell out and had my money refunded but my old one kept on going so I stuck with it until it became so tatty I decided I had to buy another!A real design Classic amazing value!
on 6 December 2015
Well the dial isn't black as its described it's more of a sage green , which is ok , the strap is quite thin and short , for anyone with a thick wrist this may be a problem , and the buckle is flimsy so it's difficult to fit , but otherwise it's a neat little army type watch , and it's cheap , it's about twice this price in trendy clothing shops
on 16 August 2013
Didn't notice in the item description that the case is made of plastic - my fault. If I'd realised I wouldn't have bought this item. It seems okay but has a definite '£6.99 from the local fleamarket' look and feel to it.
Also the strap is only just big enough; I'm a bit larger than average (6' 4") and am using the one from last hole on the strap - if you have large wrists it may not be big enough.
Other reviewers have said that the tick is rather loud and they are right. It's not excessive, but if I left it on the bedside cabinet I suspect it would keep me awake at night!
Okay for a cheap work watch which is what I'm going to use it for.
on 2 October 2009
I have now had this watch for about 6 months, and in that period have not had to correct the time once, and it is still within a few seconds of the BBC Radio beeps.

It has been into swimming pools and rivers without any apparent problems.

The plastic case make it lightweight. The fabric strap doesn't look or feel likely to tear or snap (the downfall of my previous watches!).

The watch does not track months, so the date dial has to be adjusted at the relevant days of the year.

The only mildly annoying feature of this watch is the surprisingly loud tick - it won't distract you while there is background noise, but at night you may find yourself keeping it in a draw or on the other side of the room...or possibly a different room altogether.
on 6 July 2015
DISAPPOINTED. I do not like this watch at all. Here's why:

1. As so many others have said, it is simply too loud. Sitting on a coach on the motorway the other day, I could hear it ticking away. In front of
the TV too, I can still hear it. So it usually ends up in a trouser pocket. I should have paid more attention to other reviewers.
2. The face cover isn't glass, it's plastic, and in a certain light it is very noticeable - it looks cheap. This is also the reason why you can hear the
ticking so much: the entire watch is plastic.
3. The strap doesn't look good at all. It has a rather stupid, plastic connection with the watch itself, and spoils the overall look.

Unfortunately, I kept it too long and can't return it; now it sits in a drawer so I don't have to listen to the incessant ticking.
on 25 July 2013
Brilliant watch for price, easy to read glows in dark when required, comfortably well made strap. One previous review said loud ticking kept him awake , I found I have to hold it close to my ear to hear ticking.