Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 6 October 2008
I saw the whole short season of ITV Austen adaptations from which the three featured here were chosen and the main mystery to me is why it was that by far the the best of them - 'Persuasion', with Rupert Penry Jones and the excellent Sally Hawkins - was not included in this set.

This 'Mansfield Park' is especially poor, partly because Billie Piper - (a decent actress when in the right role, to be sure) is miscast. Even her looks, with her trademark bleached blonde hair and black eyebrows, are just wrong for a lead Austen part.

For Mansfield Park, look for the greatly superior version starring Frances O' Connor as Fanny Price.
11 Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2010
I have to say I am a glutton for punishment,when it comes to ITV adaptations on Bluray.So far Persuasion by ITV on Bluray is bluntly a DVD quality transfer,Wuthering Heights is not much better.But lets talk about this Jane Austen Collection,NorthHanger Abbey is not High Definition,more like the dvd version which I already own.Mansfield Park is virtually the same.But to my suprise Emma is around 80% High Definition which begs the question where is the quality control for these products as it is quite deceiving to put out products in 1080p which are clearly not HD.My advice is dont waste your money and hope they bring out a worthy product worth buying.I hope this helps.
on 1 August 2009
Of the three DVD's I enjoyed Emma which I didn't think I would because it took me ages to get through the book as the main character really annoyed me, I also really enjoyed Northanger Abbey they were both fairly true to the books BUT, Mansfield Park , which is one of my favorite books, was terrible, the story line, the acting everything, I was very disappointed to be honest. So my advise to Jane Austin fans is don't buy the pack of three, buy them individually and don't get Mansfield Park...
on 10 March 2008
Well, I think I was a Jane Austen fan before. But to my shame I had read Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey only once and Emma only twice, so was not hugely familiar with any of these. Having watched them on TV, re-read the books and now re-watching on DVD, I think these are a great way of getting into some of her less well-known works.

Yes, they suffer a little from the 'Andrew Davis' effect of sexing up the original books that can be a little distracting. But overall they are a faithful enough reflection of the originals, well acted and good value in a boxed set like this - particularly as many of you will already have the BBC Pride & Prejudice and Ang Lee film of Sense & Sensibility (it is more in the school of these than the Gwyneth Paltrow film of Emma or the recent Keira Knightley Pride & Prejudice). It's just a shame they couldn't squeeze Persuasion into the same boxed set - if they could this would have got the full five stars. As it is, it'll get four stars and a recommendation for anyone who is an Austen fan already or who has enjoyed either Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility and is looking to broaden their range.
on 1 November 2007
As the reviewer before me stated, if this is indeed the caliber of programming that comes out of ITV, then no, it does not rival BBC...HOWEVER, I was actually relatively entertained by these programs (as well as the Persuasion movie that was part of this season that isn't included here). They weren't quite true to the novels, but overall, they were each worth watching all the way through. Perhaps it is because I'm a fan of cheesy romance films, but I give it 3 stars for being alright in my eyes.
on 3 October 2014
I love these 3 films, I have now watched at least 2 of them twice! Just fantastic, I would recommend them to any fan of Jane Austen's books, particularly Northanger Abbey, it is different to her "usual" style....in a sense. (I don't want to give anything away)

Great fast delivery, great price, great packaging, item in perfect condition upon arrival.
on 16 March 2016
Norhtanger Abbey is well made and well acted great adaptation. Emma I am not convinced Kate Becinsale was the right person to play Emma but the story is well done and the rest of the cast fit well, so another good adaptation. Oh dear Mansfield Park, Billy Piper is really not the best choice does not suit the shy and subservient Fanny at all, you hardly see Mariah,and the orther Bertrum family really, almost no mention of Portsmouth or Fanny's return 'home'. If they had more time allotted for the story rather than slashing it to bits to squeeze the story in to a short space of time might have been worth it, but the worst adaptation I have seen by far. So will only be watching the other two I am afraid.
on 29 March 2009
Both Northanger Abbey and Emma are adapted by Andrew Davies and both are very good. They're both well performed and retain the spirit of the novel. Mansfield Park is disapointing.
on 1 March 2014
Watched the first two of the set and must really admit to being so disappointed with these. Two stars for the stories, classic literature and I'm not really one for romances, but these stories really do hang well together. Problem is twofold, one - the adaptations seem to leave the resolution for the last minute, minute and a half so it feel rather rushed. Second - the acting is pathetically wooden. All lines seem to be recited rather than acted, and recited in a bored fashion too for a lot of the actors. I wouldn't recommend these as they are all rather poor in my eyes.
on 14 May 2009
I bought this as I had seen both Emma and Mansfield Park on TV. I enjoyed watching them both again and was interested in Northanger Abbey. I personally found Northanger Abbey a bit of a let down compared to the others, but would recommend this set to any Jane Austen fan.