Format: DVD|Change

on 18 June 2009
When this series was first shown in the late 1970's I hadn't realised how close to the facts it was. Now almost thirty years later and seeing it in it's entirety and knowing a lot more of Australian history, I found this four disk set even more enjoyable. All the caricatures portrayed were believable and well casted. Now living in the area where it all happened brings it even closer to life. A must watch series of four disks and a treat to see without missing an episode.
on 22 August 2008
If you ever wanted to watch something that the whole family can enjoy this is it. This saga has got everthing a person would want when watching a movie> I have searched for this since seeing it in South Africa over 15years ago. The quality of the dvd is the best. Well worth a look
on 10 October 2013
I think everyone is aware of how Australia was populated. This story is about people breaking the law for small things, but instead of going to jail are deported to Australia to serve their sentences for a number of years, becoming actual slaves to British residents, some of them landowners or military. The background is clear and well explained. The story flows very nicely and right away you have your likes and dislikes. I really enjoyed it very much. I will let it rest for a month or so and then will watch it again to really understand all the nuances I missed the first time around.
on 31 January 2013
Professional and quick delivery the only minus about this product is there are no subtitles with would have been nice to have for the understanding.
on 4 October 2015
Why this rather poor mark? I have to confess : because of NO SUBTITLES ! The fact which I missed while ordering! All British series purchased thru Amazon wqere subtitled though being in perfect British(Queen)English. Still i liked to have opportunity to "catch" some word or sentences being lost in noises, music etc... Against the wind is one of wonderful series from end of seventies - we had it by beginning of 80es, and my very first Australian experience. So, after the first episodes in Ireland I hoped that our heroines will meet in Australia some better-English-understandable language . In vain : all folks continue to speek very originally i.e. in some mish-mash mixture of Irish and Australian. Therefore, instead of enjoying the topic, landscape, friendship an dlove, I spent time trying very hard to understand it..
However, in my country we say: every school costs. It was my and only my mistake to check the subtitles if any. Next time I will .

, To understand my point of view there are some important facts: I am 66, I am Croatian with no officiall knowledge of English(i.e. I learned it in
school only though by my father forever infested with love for this language).However my vocation made me to have English as from my University days, in scientific literature and contacts. Since retired a year ago , I am reading almost entirely in English - whether American or British. I am
dutifully dependent to National Geographic, , Discovery Ch., Da Vinci Learning etc..
I presume that it is quite difficult to have these old series subtitled now and I understand it. Anyway, this is the first review without best impressions. And Amazon has nothing to do with it, nor Against the Wind.
Sincerely, Gordana
on 14 November 2012
I watched this show on TV as a series back in the 70's when it was made. I've been living in the area this is based in for the past 20+ years. I bought this for my wife, who has been here since 2004, and she found it quite interesting as some of the places she has come to know were mentioned.

It is a great series and well worth watching.
on 14 February 2014
This is one of the most underrated TV series ever so when it was finally released on dvd we straighaway got it. Follow Mary's journey from humble beginnings to freeman in Australia. Excellent acting and music.
on 3 May 2010
As good as I remembered it. Though the production values are showing their age a bit it is still an endeering story of Australias chequered past.
on 16 January 2009
i watched this on tv in australia when it came out. gives a brilliant portrayal of convict/settlers lives in early new south wales. has been slightly edited. but one viewing will show what an actor jon english really is.(he played judas in godspell in aus).give it a watch. thewizardfromaus
on 15 December 2010
I bought this DVD for my mom. She used to watch the series when she was a teenager.. Now I am so glad I purchased it, mom says it is exactly as beautiful as she remembers it.. All in all, a very wise choice and the price is very reasonable.. Loved it!