Customer reviews

Double Trouble
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 May 2011
Well it looks like I bought my vinyl copy in Germany judging by the catalogue numbers. As ar as I recall I bought this on the basis of "Restless"

Ok it's not an essemtial must have but as my vinyl copy now jumps in the middle of "Life goes on ", why when I probably haven't played it in 20 years, I have just now ordered this. For just over a fiver you can't go wrong it would of cost me 69p to download restless anyway. Not sure about "Hadely bop bop though.
on 28 January 2017
Have this on vinyl, and love it.
on 6 June 2015
I bought this to replace my LP version The sound is better and You get some nice bonuses
on 27 April 2010
I bought this to take me back to my misspent youth of headbanging at the school disco. It's worked a treat!
on 21 September 2014
Excellent value.
on 4 May 2014
Still have this Double Album on Vinyl from 1st release. Just purchased CD for Car, A bit too much Treble but second Live CD absolutely Brilliant.
on 1 January 2012
Yes I'm old enough to remember the original release of this double album and I saw the band on the tour also.
Whenever I listen to this CD it reminds me of the very first time I heard Gillan on The Friday Rock Show and what a great songwriter he is, from a full-on rock blowout to a sweat blues melody all on one disc.
All I can say is this is the CD you should listen to if you want to get a feel of how good this band were in the studio and how they transferred that ability and energy onto the stage.
6 people found this helpful
on 31 August 2011
hi just like to say when i first heard this in 1981 it was a christmas present from my brother. the funny thing was with this as well my mam and dad bought the same album for my brother not knowing he was getting the same album. we both liked the albums very much as well as the live material. great band pity they did,nt last longer with this line up would have liked to have seen them.anyway glad it,s been released on cd with the extra live performances with bernie torme.liked also janick jers on the studio stuff as well who i,ve seen with iron maiden many thanks for remastering this cd with extras also trying to find these performances on dvd many thanks again.
4 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 7 April 2007
Continued from Future Shock

A mere six months elapsed before the arrival of "Double Trouble" with new guitarist Janick Gers in tow. And it shows. A double album with one studio and one live LP, I found the live album almost unlistenable then, and time has not improved it. Considering how good they could be live, it was a major disappointment and time has not improved it any. The studio side, in contrast, has aged better than I would have thought. Sure, Gillan is back to screaming again and there is too much filler - no-one needs to hear 'Hadely Bop Bop', then or now, but get past the histrionic screeching of Janick Gers guitar and there are some decent tunes; 'Sunbeam' and 'Nightmare', in particular, really stand out. The bonuses are inessential here, although at least it means I need never try to play my flexidisc of 'Spanish Guitar' ever again, with the rest being live B-sides for 'Nightmare' and 'Restless'; namely 'Bite The Bullet' and 'On The Rocks', with the rest coming from the free seven inch that came with the 'Trouble' single.

As reissue packages, these are well done, although there is absolutely nothing new or unreleased on offer for the serious collector. But it will save me digging through the crates of vinyl, something that makes life a whole lot easier, and with brief notes from Ian Gillan with each one alongside the lyrics and plentiful photos, Edsel have done a bang up job.
13 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 23 January 2012
Now, I will admit I have a slight soft spot for Gillan, as they were the first "proper" band I went to see live at the tender age of 13. This was to be their last tour, promoting the "Magic" album with Janick Gers on guitar, and they were (I seem to remember) very good.

I found some of their earlier stuff a little difficult to get into, but this album, Double Trouble was a regular on my record player. The studio side has some great tracks on it, including "Born to kill", which is an absolute epic! Now, you have to appreciate that Gillan were NOT your run of the mill metal band, and as such, you will always get a certain amount of "experimentation". With such a talented keyboard player and song writer in Colin Towns, there are some "different" (?!) moments, which will not appeal to everyone. There are some heavy songs, some more "poppy" songs, and of course, the singles "Nightmare" and "Restless", which are great.

The live side is also pretty good. Quite a lot is from their Reading Festival appearances, and I think captures them pretty well - if my memory serves me correctly!! Faves include "No Easy Way" and "If you believe me", which has some stunning bluesy guitar work on it.

The extras on this re-issued version are for the most part largely forgettable but, I always liked "On the rocks" anyway, so it is worth it for that alone as far as I am concerned.

A good memory of a pretty good band, so if you like Gillan anyway, this is worth shelling out a few quid on.
3 people found this helpful