on 21 November 2010
Not a lot you can say about it as it just works! I plugged it in, it worked, the network is a ton faster than when i had it on a 10/100MB hub. The lights at the front are useful, ie they are off if no device is connected, orange for ports operating at 100MB (because the device on the other end of the cable is only 100MB capable) and green for full gigabit connections..Greate value for money, think i paid about £17.00
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2013
I bought this to replace a 10/100 Netgear switch I use by my TV as I gradually upgrade my home network to wired Gigabit.

Delivery was swift as usual and the item was well packaged. The switch itself is very simple, just plug and play, although this of course means you actually only have 4 ports free to connect equipment to once you have added a connection to your router, but that is fine for my needs.

Unlike the Netgear it replaces the TP-Link switch can be wall mounted which is very handy and helps me keep things behind the TV nice and tidy. As the TP-Link is pretty "cheap and cheerful" it doesn't feel as solid as the Netgear but putting it on a wall keeps it pretty safe from being bashed around. If you have any concerns then consider the more robust metal version.

Overall you really can't go wrong at this price, it's simple and does the job effectively. Recommended.

Update: 11/05/2015

The switch is still going strong and I have amended the review to reflect the comment below on plugging into any port which I wasn't aware of at the time. After about 12 months of use I unplugged the switch briefly while I changed some things around and the plastic top pin on the plug snapped off and is now wedged into the plug socket it was in.

Not a major concern, it is the bottom two pins on the plug that have metal contacts and I have plugged it back in and it works fine, but it does show that it is made to a price point (or I am just clumsy!), I guess.
review image review image
44 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2010
Plugged it in, connected the Ethernet cables, turned it on, it worked. Haven't thought about it since. Exactly how technology should be.
on 5 October 2011
I have been very impressed with this unit - compact and unobtrusive it has handled my setup at home with no problems

Bedroom 2: ADSL Modem Router (100MB) -> TP Link Powerline Adapter (200MB) ->
Living Room: TP Link Powerline Adapter (200MB) -> this Switch (1000MB) -> Xbox360, Internet-enabled LCD TV, iMac

What I am most impressed with is that even though my current setup is not all gigabit I have already got a small but definitely noticeable uptick in browsing speed on my iMac (nothing else at all has changed in my setup including browser version (Chrome v14) - I supposed I would see that with any gigabit switch but at this price it's great value.

Also, one final point, the documentation states its lower power green credentials - this switch powers off the ports when not in use and adjusts the power used depending on the length of Ethernet cable in use with each port
77 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2010
I was sufficiently impressed with the ease of setup of this switch that I bought a second one. It is completely plug and play as it auto-configures any of the ports to act as the uplink port. Each port has an LED that glows green if a gigabit device is plugged in, or orange if not. This indicated that the motherboard of one of my PCs was not the version with a gigabit ethernet port despite the fact that the startup splash screen described it as a gigabit motherboard. That was fixed by adding the TP-Link Gigabit card TP-Link 32-bit Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card (TG-3269) Realtek RTL8169SC.

With two of these switches I now have two PCs, upstairs and downstairs, connected to a network media hard drive and copying files at a much higher speed. I cannot comment on the reliability and performance of this switch compared with other makes, but the price from Amazon is unbeatable.
on 6 November 2013
5 port ethernet desktop switch - works well so far. I have my TV, DVD player and Humax PVR's internet ethernet leads connected to this switch (acting as a hub). There is another ethernet lead connected to the internet router. In use so far I have not had any problems connected any device to the internet so the switch must be automatically granting internet access as requried to each device.
on 22 December 2011
This switch works very well, requires no setting up, and at its price is good value. I did have one problem though, which is probably related to the fact that it has a plastic case, not metal. I placed the switch on top of a blu-ray player which itself sat on top of a hefty Audio Visual Receiver. Network connections through the switch were disrupted by interference from one or both of these devices. When I moved the switch six inches or so away, everything worked fine.
on 31 December 2012
When I first set this up I was dissapointed with the results. I checked the adapter setting at my desktop and the file server and I noticed they were still set to 100Mbps. I was connected to the server with a comtrend powerline adapter. I pulled out the powerline adaptors and connected to the server via the switch with new Cat6 ethernet cables. The adaptors immediately set themselves to 1Gbps.

Data transmission speeds-

Wireless 802.11g - old wireless card in my desktop - 0.75 MBytes per second - paint dries faster.
Wireless 802.11n - wife's netbook - 1.5 MBytes per second - very slow.
Comtrend 200mbps adaptors - 5 to 6.5 MBytes per second - bit faster.
Cat6 Cable connections between desktop, server and switch - 120 MBytes per second - blindingly fast.

If you want faster downloads this switch wont help very much unless you have fibre-optic to the modem.
If you want faster files transfers within your local network expect a gigantic improvement!
on 31 August 2015
Bought March 2013,
been on permanently (albeit through two power cuts!)
- Working fine, no problems, very reliable.
The adaptor plugs into the uk mains socket. The n/w cables plug in the back and the green lights are at the front.
Simple, reliable, very cheap, does the job.
FWIW I use it mainly to connect NAS drives and stream to a Hi-Fi streamer/pre-amp. My Sky router is also plugged in and all devices are automatically seen on my home n/w.
on 22 October 2014
Works like a charm - never had any problems with them (I have 2). I use one upstairs wired to one downstairs to get the best speed around the house. WDTV and Wireless router plugs into two of the ports downstairs. They run at a max of 100Mbps. Wireless between downstairs and up tends to drop out on big downloads hence I use cable. WD Book live drives are on the 1gb segment near my 1Gb desktop. I have no hesitation to recommend these - they are so cheap too.