on 11 May 2018
I think this is one of my favourite books from Jane Austin. So naturally, I enjoy the entire movie, no, I love the entire movie. They did a wonderful job portraying the emotions and quirks of each character, allowing you to love or hate them as you should. The movie felt quite authentic and was quite romantic ... until you get to the end, then, I just can't. I dislike the end to the point where sometimes when I rewatch it I just turn it off before they get together, and that is just sad. I think the fact that they take a perfectly good ending (from the book) and try so hard to make it modern that it doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the movie. The excessive shakycam and zooms are bad enough, but then at the end, there is the kiss to kill all romance. The fact they kiss in public doesn't bother me as much as the fact that; they lean in for the kiss and then it takes almost 5 minutes for them to actually kiss. It takes your emotions from the realms of "how romantic" to "so cringy" then onto "shoot me now".

So if you love Jane Austin then I would recommend this movie, which as I said is wonderful. Just skip the end, or be aware that you may get a headache from rolling your eyes and banging your head against the wall at the end.
on 2 February 2017
This is one of my favourite Jane Austen adaptations! I always feel the need to read the book at the end of the movie.
It's a modern interpretation of the main story and the theme of the book, which doesn't expect the viewer to know anything about the time period and social norms. It's great for younger viewers or those just discovering Austen.
The acting is fantastic, with so many great characters I wanted to know more about. Anne and her father were my favourites.

Yes, the ending is different from the book, and the running is a bit silly, but no more so than Mr Darcy going for a swim.
on 6 March 2013
Beefs: what possessed the writers to set Anne Elliot racing about the streets of Bath at the end when Jane Austen wrote a perfectly good, more subtly tense ending? Too many G&T's at the end of a long and frustrating meeting with the producers? It just made us hoot with incredulity. We now tend to skip that patch so as not to ruin a very good film. One more point: if we remember rightly, Ms Austen sends Anne and her Captain to sea, like Admiral Croft and his wife, but we didn't wholly object to the return to Kellynch, (bought by the now wealthy Captain), because it serves Anne's horrid father and her even worse sister and cousin right, after their rotten greed and snobbery. Let's hope she doesn't make a granny flat for her Dad.

We would recommend this to anybody except a Jane Austen purist, because Anne and Wentworth are just right, as are her sisters and his fellow-officers. Corin Redgrave is especially repulsive and perfect as Sir WWE but all the characters are well cast and the settings are sometimes beautiful, always intelligently chosen. We think it's the best filmed adaptation of this novel.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 March 2018
I absolutely love this Persuasion version. Love the direct to camera looks from Anne, love Rupert Penry Jones, the soulful, long glances, the tension between the two as they walk that tightrope of not knowing what the other is thinking. Love Adrian Shergold's brilliant direction....but most of all, I love the music, so exquisitely perfect for the tense & poignant atmosphere.
on 8 August 2010
I have both versions of this film and feel that if parts of each were taken then a really good film would be made.
I missed the entanglement of Captain Wentworth and Louisa Musgrove in the Ciarán Hinds version, which I felt was needed, especially if one wasn't familiar with the book, and Ann's understanding that they were to be married wasn't clear enough.

With the Rupert Penry-Jones version I felt the last part was not true enough to the story, ie her chasing him and meeting Harriet Smith in the street was wrong, as was him buying Kellynch Hall. I did feel a lot more emotion with this version and, even though Ann was good in that respect, I also felt that Captain Wentworth showed his feelings more too.
Charles was more believable in the Rupert Penry-Jones version as in the book he is a bit of a tease with his wife but that didn't show up at all in the Ciarán Hinds version.

If the Rupert Penry-Jones version was closer to the storyline then I'd say that would be ideal, although I would change some of the minor characters such as Mary, as I preferred the other version of her character, nor did I like Mr Elliot much either.

In both versions the children were too old so it didn't seem realistic that Charles had asked Ann to marry him after she rejected Captain Wentworth eight and a half years before, and then managed to woo and marry Mary and have two children who seemed to be about 7 years old. It does state in the book that one child was only two years of age when Captain Wentworth had to remove him from around Ann's neck.
Also the Musgroves were a plump couple so that didn't ring true for me, neither did the conversation between Captain Benwick and Ann which should have come much later and with Captain Harville.

I now find myself annoyed when watching the Rupert Penry-Jones version as it is so far from Jane Austin's novel but the saving grace is the delicious Captain Wentworth. It is worth watching just for him even if the storyline and some of the other characters are wrong.
4 people found this helpful
on 16 April 2011
I am a bit of a sucker for period dramas like this, and this one I enjoyed along with the others that went with the season of Austen adaptations. I had also been reading Jane Austen's novels, something I've been meaning to do for years.

I haven't seen any other adaptation of Persuasion but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Walter and and the oldest sister are played with just the right amount of idiocy, as is Mary, the third sister. She was a bit irritating but I went with it anyway. Anne and Frederick are also played well and you can believe their emotions are true. Yes, the ending is a bit modern and in Austen's time that would never have happened but I enjoyed it anyway, it was the first time both of the lovers had really expressed how they felt and I thought it was the right time to do something out of character. My only problem was when I finally finished the book I far preferred the more subtle way Wentworth revelas his feelings by writing the letter when he, Anne and other friends are all in a room together and subtly handing it to her as he leaves, then she leaves with Charles and meets him again outside so she can return the sentiment. It wouldn't have given the flashy ending but I think it would have been a more emotional one.

All in all an enjoyable adaptation for lovers of period drama, and Austen adaptations as the rest is fairly true to the book. Well worth watching.
on 18 February 2018
I love this version. My fav will always be cirian one but for the love of god please sort out the graininess... I must be the unluckiest person with this.. This is my 3rd version of blu ray and 2nd version non blu ray and all are grainy in picture as hell.. So I give it a 3 for story had picture been better I would have given a 5 star
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 15 October 2017
Beautifully crafted dramatisation. There's surprisingly little condensation of the plot but the darker storyline represented by Walter Elliot the younger is handled in a rather throwaway manner ...Still, overall though a joy to watch.
on 18 May 2018
I may be biased towards the 1995 version but I think this is awful. I really like Sally Hawkins but Anne Elliot is far too self pitying and depressed, and what's with all that looking straight in to the camera? That's just bizarre! The woman playing Mary seems to be quite shamelessly trying to copy the voice and mannerisms of Sophie Thompson's portrayal. And I don't think Rupert Penry Jones is very well cast here at all.
on 6 May 2018
Its a good adaptation and although it doesn't adhere strictly to the novel, I still like it enough to recommend.