York Fitness Soft Strong Handgrips
Style Name: Strong Handgrips|Change

on 1 May 2017
Waited a little while before giving this review as I wanted to see if I had the same issue as previous customers have stated with the squeaking. Sure enough, they started squeaking, but a quick spray with wd-40 cured that, and they have been fine ever since (note that the squeaking in no way interferes with the usage, obviously it's annoying to listen to nonetheless).

Delivery: purchased via Amazon Prime so next day as per usual, no issues there, well packaged as you'd expect (both the item itself and the amazon delivery outer packaging).

I'm a 5' 11" male, with not particularly big hands - as you can see in the 3rd picture, the top of the spring is around 5" from the base of the handle, so hopefully that gives some gauge as to the size of them as I noted some others said the grips were too large and I was also a little concerned about that - luckily I needn't have been in my case.

Very comfy to use and non-intrusive, often use them while reading so you aren't going to break out into a sweat anytime soon with them. As for results... well I've been on an exercise kick anyway, so I'm not sure how much these have helped directly, but I can tell you I've put 1/2" on my painfully thin forearms in about 7 weeks of use (started with 10 'flexes' at a time for each hand, now up to 40 with each hand), using them every other day twice a day. Great for bringing the shopping indoors from the car, not so sure my special alone time has been enhanced though.

Any average-sized man should be fine with the size of these grips, and for what it's worth my girlfriend who is 5' 5" found them too big to use comfortably when I asked her to have a test of them, so maybe a smaller size would be better if you are not so tall, or have smaller hands than the 'average' male :-)

minus half a star for the aggro of me getting a can of wd-40 to spray them with, but can't bring myself to only give it 4 stars, so a 5-star review it is.
review imagereview imagereview image
2 people found this helpful
on 10 February 2018
Just arrived in a box (2 pairs)
Fast delivery in fact arrived a day before date
Looks like the very classic old grips with cheap plastic handles (but they don't appears) covered with nice comfortable sponge style strips (it came in black colour rather than white; which is better for me coz of possible sweat and dirt..)
This is the extra strong , and it feels good . I train usually this muscle but if feel good saying it in action with this..
There is a squeek sound (in just one of the pair), but it is not a problem 4 me and I think the sound is gone after couple of minutes of use . When I go faster the above iron link between the two grips make a ringing sound, which I don't mind too.
I hope it doesn't lose a lot of its strong grip strength over time.
Im looking forward using this almost everywhere when not at gym.
Overall, very good for and I recommend it.
on 5 February 2013
Like the rest of the reviews of this product, I would agree that ideally you need an already strong grip to handle these without giving up. I'm a bassist and already do weights, so my grip has strengthened to a relatively high level anyway. My advice to those who want to strengthen their grip from scratch would be to buy the lower-level ones first, and then move up to this level when comfortable (no shame in it, just sense).

Good product for a great price. Only odd thing about the grips is that they leave a weird and vaguely unpleasant smell on your hands. But then, if you're a really intelligent person - like my fine self - you can use the power of water and soap to wash this away. Genius.

Just don't break the tap off with your insanely-strong hands post-workout. That would be bad. But these are good!
8 people found this helpful
on 14 June 2015
Very pleased with these, very good quality for the low price paid. They are definitely strong as the name suggests; I like to think I have a good grip and arm strength and these are challenging enough to really work my forearms.
Therefore, if you're just starting out, have a low or moderate grip, or generally want something a bit easier, don't go for this strong version.

Whatever you decide, the quality is great, the grips are soft and comfortable and for the price you pay, they're hard to beat.
One person found this helpful
on 9 February 2015
I wouldn't recommend getting the standard strength grips unless you know your grip is of concern or particularly weak, as you can build it up with these if you can get just 1 repetition/squeeze.

The foam covering of the handles has given up the ghost and they make a heck of a squeek when used. I don't want to oil/lubricate anything though as it's all exposed and I don't want to get the oil on anything. They still work though, which is the main thing. The foam grip really could be harder wearing though and it rode up the handle a lot even before it split.

3.5 stars if I could as it still works despite some of its flaws.
on 29 August 2015
The issue with this item is the handle padding. The padding quite severely restricts the range of motion one can use these over since on full compression, the padding gets in the way of the other handle.This means one can only exercise the finger flexors over a narrow range- rather like doing bicep curls to only 90 degrees of the elbows flexion! Besides, is padding really necessary on an item designed for tough people? This design issue is my reason for only 3 stars. There are other, better designed, adjustable tension and similarly cheap grippers available on Amazon.
on 11 May 2011
This is my 3rd york product off amazon and yet again it has a great build quality. There isn't that much to say about this other than its size, I got the extra strong ones, i'm not sure how big the just 'strong' ones are but these are probably just a little too big for my hands. Though I have got fairly small hands for my size and i'm only 5 foot 9". I can still use them though but they are pretty strong. They will still get easier as I build muscle so they will still do their job. The only people I wouldn't recommended this for is people that have really small hands. But overall it's a great product easy to carry around and do while doing other things like watching TV.
on 27 March 2016
These are good hand grips for beginners. Not as strong as I imagined they would be, and the foam handles kind of move around too much, but not bad overall. I would say the force required to close this is around 100lb. If you're able to do a few pullups or hang yourself off a bar with one arm, these won't be very difficult.
on 20 November 2015
Nice handgrips; I've had them for several years now and no issues so far. Keep in mind that there are two models from what I read; hard ones and softer ones.
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 21 April 2013
These are a great set of handgrips to improve the strength of your grip and to develop your forearm muscles (which are difficult to work on in any other way). These handgrips are indeed very strong and do take some getting used to, if you haven't used handgrips before you might find them rather difficult.

They are nicely padded so I found that my hands did not hurt at all afterwards, so if you are looking to improve your grip this is the best way to go.