on 1 September 2009
Easy to assemble, no parts missing, up and ready to use within 20 minutes.

For its price this rowing machine compares well to much more expensive machines i have used in fitness centres. A good action and a build quality which gives an impression that this rower will last well.

As others have reported, the computer self-cancels, but a call to customer services had a new updated computer head on its way to me in a couple of days. In the meantime the problem was solved by unattaching the head and lying it alongside, where static charge from the belt did not affect the electronics.

Recommended, so far as I'm concerned. I already feel the benefits from regular all over workouts, without the strain on joints that I find with treadmills or exercise bikes.
on 17 April 2012
I have found rowing to be an excellent way to exercise, but thought that to get a rower that was more than a fragile uncomfortable toy I would have to pay much much more. Spurred on by the reviews I bought this four weeks ago and have been very satisfied. It is smoother and more comfortable than the Concept II's that I have used in gyms for many years. Its quietness is remarkable, and so I have the bonus of being able to do an early morning row without waking the family. The computer info is basic but adequate - duration of exercise session, virtual distance travelled, and pace or power from the last stroke are sufficient for a long term exercise plan, and there is also a guesstimate of calories. For someone training to row, stroke rate would have been helpful, and I do slightly miss the virtual competitor mode from concept II. I use my heart rate monitor to record heart rate.

I can't comment on the endurance of the machine, but it seems sturdy and I am hopeful.
on 3 August 2011
The York R700 was advertised at half price and had good reviews which prompted me to buy it. The rower arrived within 3 days and was simple to assemble.
It is easy to use and has an easy to read display showing distance/time/calories burnt.
The mechanism and runners that hold the seat are free and uncomplicated but noisy. The manual is easy to read and useful.
The only thing that stops me giving it 5 is that I find the seat a bit uncomfortable and have attached extra padding to it.
All in all very good value for money.
on 2 August 2009
I noted the comments in other reviews about the self-tapping screws that don't fit, but what I found is that they ARE the right size!

I'm pretty sure the problem (such as it is) is that some buyers are having trouble because (a) they're using the supplied "screwdriver" and (b) they don't expect properly-fitting self-tapping screws to be a tight fit.

The answer is simply to use a proper screwdriver that fits correctly and a fair bit of oomph.

Speaking as an ex-production engineer, I can't fault this machine for the price paid.
on 10 January 2015
I bought this item as a second Hand machine. I was very disappointed that when it was unpacked and I started to build the thing I found the pulse strap was not in view, also a couple of screws romancing and no instructions. With the help of my friend I took the panel off to inspect the inside and found the pulse strap which had broken off at the handle. Why this was sent out to me in this state left me very disappointed. The first thing I thought about was purchasing a pull strap which cost a pretty penny.
After locating the pulse strap inside the machine I realise that the reason for the thing being inside the machine and where the handlebars attached to the pull strap had come undone and no doubt shop back inside the machine. I re-stitched the end rewound the strap fitted the handlebars replaced the cover and tried it out.

The machine itself is fine but as I was saying I was very disappointed that Amazon would send me a unit that was not fit for purpose. I contacted Amazon who refunded me 10% which in my opinion didn't cover the cost of the effort of returning the machine to a working state.
on 31 July 2009
The York R700 is a good general exercise machine, and on the face of it, it seems well constructed. However I found that during construction bolts were of very poor quality and I replaced several with better quality ones of my own. The foot straps seem to be an afterthought and the foot pads keep peeling off. In fact all stickers and labels were poorly fixed, and most have come off.

In operation, the R700 has proven to be a very good machine though. The digital read-out is clear and easy to use.
on 23 December 2011
I choose the York R700 Platinum Rower after reading the reviews on Amazon.co.uk. The main problem highlighted by other reviewers was a problem with the computer after a short use, and thus, I figured that as these dated from 2009, the problems must have been fixed by now. It was easy to put together the rower, even without instructions. The rowing action is very smooth and so far, having rowed about 100 km over the past month, I have not encountered any problems with the computer. Hope it stays that way. One of the features I appreciate is that by unscrewing one knob, the length is halved when not being used. I have therefore been able to leave it in the living room in front of the TV for the time being, without disturbing the wife too much. Would definitely recommend it.
on 20 May 2009
Good quality product, well packaged for transport and easy to assemble.
I had a small problem with the Computer, but this turned out to be only dirty battery contacts. Otherwise it is a smooth machine in use and the runner slides well.
The base reduces in length with one locking pin and then the whole thing tilts vertical so storage is easy and relatively compact.
on 7 February 2014
I bought this despite some poor comments on the quality in previous reviews. It came well packed in a packaging which stressed it is a heavy product - it even stated which was the heavy end. It was very easy to bolt together and get the computer working (batteries supplied), but I did require a screwdriver rather than the tool supplied (an alum key with a Philips head on one end). The machine is really sturdy - I agree with another reviewer who said that it compares well with the much more expensive Concept 2 rowing machine that I've used in gyms. The straps all seem robust. Great price!
on 7 February 2009
I have now used this rowing machine for a couple of month's, and I still feel that it is well worth the money. The quality of the build was found to be of a high standard with very good workout programs for the majority of people.

York R700 Platinum Rower

This is the perfect answer for exercising at home as it folds up. Although the machine cannot be compared to a gym machine, but a far superior machine to many other products on the market.

This is also ideal for people over 6 feet and heavier build, as it is a very strong machine.