The Blackening
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 May 2015
"The Blackening" sounds more like the natural successor to "Burn My Eyes" than "The More Things Change" and is like "Burn My Eyes" Part II with all the added benefit of thirteen years of experience as a band. Musically the album has more going on than "Burn My Eyes" as it has more melodic passages and tempo changes which add to the heaviness of the album. Machine Head have written four of the longest songs of their career for this Thrash Metal opus and they are so good that they seem no longer than three minutes in length!! The lead guitar work is amazing in its technique and melodies, Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel are like a modern day Glen Tipton and K.K. Downing trading leads like duellist's trading blows and parries like their very lives depended upon it. Robb's vocals weave in and out of the clean and gruff styles with ease and undeniable presence, sounds like he may have taken a leaf from Burton C. Bell's songbook! The drumming is superb, tight and precise, Dave McClain is nimble and groovy in his flawless drum gymnastics and a true pleasure to listen to. Adam Deuce's bass work is driving and pounding with a funky twang peppering the songs admirably. I can say with hand on heart that this is my favourite Machine Head album to date and what a masterpiece it is!! This album is the culmination of years of blood, sweat and tears and it oozes conviction and power. If you love Thrash Metal that is light years ahead of the pack then you owe it to yourself to buy this album, you really won't regret it at all!!!
on 28 March 2017
After the return to form with "Through The Ashes Of Empires" and the arrival of new guitarist Phil Demmel there was an amount of pressure to bring a new album that at least matched its predecessor to the table. The likes of "Seasons Wither" and "Imperium" from the previous album set the tone for this. Once again longer songs feature from the start taking inspiration from the fatal shooting of Pantera guitarist Dime Bag Darrell. This is a big step up in terms of musicianship and has become one of the most powerful slabs of modern metal around. Lyrically the album is more in a classic metal vein introducing story telling which was previously unheard of for the band. To me, this is the closest Machine Head will ever come to surpassing their debut, "Burn My Eyes".
on 21 July 2012
I bought this second hand, listed as 'Condition: Used - Very Good, Sold by: zoverstocks' and it should have read 'Condition: Immaculate'!!! My only niggle is that the picture displayed on the item description was wrong (an Amazon issue, NOT Zoverstocks!), as the picture on the inlay is the same as the original album, and is in the same black, not the green one pictured, so it's actually THE SAME cover as the normal album! It's only when you open the inlay sleeve up that you notice the extras written on the back. I have since found out that the green one pictured is the cardboard collectors edition, and NOT the 2 disc extended edition, so that was a bit unexpected upon opening, but not the end of the world, as it's the actual album that I bought it for, and in that respect its 10/10 all the way. When I say that they could have listed it as NEW and I wouldn't have given it a second thought upon holding it and inspecting the case and disc, so that should tell you all you need to know!! And of course, it is a joy to listen to, as IT IS Machine Head's defining album after all, and to have the extra disc with all the bonus tracks and vidz is a total bonus, although I've yet to find the bonus 'live' tracks at all (I think it's because it's a DVD and not a 'bonus disc' in the traditional sense, so the live/bonus tracks must only be available on a DVD player, and not a CD player) Again, unexpected, but again, not the end of the world, and considering the insanely cheap price paid for this gem, I have NOTHING to complain about AT ALL!! I just want people to be prepared for things to be different to what they may be anticipating is all :-). 10/10 to Zoverstocks and Amazon, thank you so much for this piece of Metal History :-)
on 6 January 2014
The Blackening is easily one of the best examples of a true 'back to roots' approach after an embarrassing stint with rap-metal. Although 'Through the Ashes of Empires' was a solid detour into familiar metal, this is where front man Robb Flynn decided to truly take Machine Head back to what made Burn My Eyes a trash metal classic and build upon it with epic song structures spelling out themes of anti-war, corporate America and hatred towards those who truly deserve it (Aesthetics of Hate being a very verbal retaliation on an equally verbal attack on legendary guitarist Dimebag Darrel).

At times it feels overly long and bloated in terms of structure but the frantic energy quickly grows on you and it offers a ton of catchy hooks and guitar riffs that demand constant reply. The Blackening, while not one of the greatest heavy metal albums ever made, is certainly a crowning achievement for Machine Head.
on 16 April 2013
I say that as it captures that fire that made Burn my Eyes so good. It doesn't sound like that album, which is good a good thing, as they've not just rehashed old glories. In general it's a ferocious sounding album, but has good melodies interwined too.
What gets me on this album is the guitar team. Robb and Phil are having such a good time that I'm also having a good time listening to it and air guitaring! I can't wait to hear some of it live!
on 13 July 2014
I think its kind of cheating to review this CD as I only bought it because I already had a digital copy and wanted to play it through my CD player.

Still love it though. One of the best Machine Head albums
on 24 August 2013
Simply THE best band on the planet imo , this triple pack is awesome and you will not be dissapointed! The album is a masterpiece and all the live footage, covers and videos just sweeten the deal. Just a note on the band, I am soo greatful that REAL all round quality still exists , the emotion , songwriting and musicianship for me is second to none and only Rush , Pantera , Maiden and Metallica (pre black album) even come close. ALL Machine Head stuff is awesome but this(Blackening)and Burn my eyes are the best two followed closely by Locust .
on 29 October 2014
Some moron gave this 1 star, yes 1 star! Why on earth would you buy this CD unless you are a fan of a metal. This may be one of the finest albums ever made. Please if you are an actual fan of talent by this record, a master class!!!!
on 14 November 2015
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 June 2013
very reasonable price for a really great album. has to be one of Machine Heads best. I really dont know how you could not like this album