on 23 March 2008
I bought the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable last week to transfer the files & drivers from my old XP to my new Vista. I was quite excited by the prospect of transferring all my files so easily. I was all ready to write a glowing review on Amazon with 5 stars!

As per the instructions provided, I downloaded the driver on my XP and followed the instructions on the screen. So far so easy. I then selected the files and folders to transfer and started the transfer process. After an hour, I realised that it had stopped transferring, as my Vista laptop went to sleep after staying idle. So I disabled the automatic sleep mode on both laptops. I then started the transfer again. Meanwhile, I had a little nap. When I woke up, (after 1 hr), about 25% was complete. I then watched a programme on TV and came back to it after 30 mins.....it still was stuck up in the same place!! I cancelled the process, and after I cancelled it, I got the message that one of the files could not be transferred for some unknown reason. The result? I was back to square one, with nothing transferred (you cannot transfer partially). I now decided to write the review with 4 stars.

I then tried again the next day, this time being careful not to select the folder it was not able to transfer the first time around. Again, I went to sleep. After 2 hours, I realised that it was again stuck at one point for more than an hour. I had to cancel again. I figured out that this time, automatic Java update had started on my Vista via the wireless internet. If any other programme runs on the laptops, it just stops transferring without giving any warning! I then switched off the wireless switch on both the laptops.

I then decided that this was the last time I would try to transfer. If it works, 3 stars, & if it doesn't....1 star. This time the transfer was successful, quite smoothly and relatively fast.

All in all, it has its quirky bits. Make sure that no other programmes run, and no automatic downloads are taking place, the laptops are set not to go into sleep or standby mode after a while, & exclude the problem folders where the transfer process appears stuck......the transfer is fast and easy.
44 Comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2008
Usually I'm a big fan of Belkin products, so I blame Microsoft for the rubbish software (the hardware itself works without a fault). The only reason I moved to a Vista pc was because my XP's disc had been poorly partitioned and I'd completely run out of space on my logical C drive. Imagine my mood when this software insisted on installing to my XP's C drive AND wanted 500MB of spare disc space to install itself, thank you very much..

When I finally got it installed I couldn't work out for love nor money how to "select individual files or directories" - it seemed to want to transfer everything or nothing. Intuitive it is not.

At that point I gave up and bought myself a Lexar 4GB USB flash drive - also on sale via Amazon - very quick, under my control, completely reusable, and worked fine without me losing my temper!
on 7 September 2008
I have Vista Business 64 bit installed on my laptop and it don't work. Their website confirms this. It would have been helpful if Belkin mentioned system requirements before I spent money on this...
on 27 June 2007
Very pleased with this item. No download from internet required and it linked the Vista laptop with XP laptop easily after loading software into the XP laptop. Transfer slow but worth wait, 2000 iTunes songs transferred in about 1.5 hours. Highly recommended, there are few other easy options out there.
on 23 April 2008
I bought this cable to transfer settings from my XP to new Vista machine. The XP had a lot of data on it, multiple accounts and the usual photo's\music etc.
I set the process in motion and after circa 12hrs, it was still sat on transferring the Office2003. I gave up after 3 attempts as it was quicker to reinstall and reconfigure the machine bit by bit.
As for the cable? Well, it did transfer my 14gb photo directory over night, alas, as a consequence I don't know how long this took.
on 23 April 2009
This is a dreadful piece of equipment.

It refuses to connect between XP and Vista, it's certainly not plug and play, and it's certainly not easy.

Check out the amazon.com website for more reviews.

Evidently is does work fine for some people, but clearly there are many of us for whom this product is useless. My advice would therefore be not to purchase it in the likely scenario that it doesn't work for you.
on 29 November 2007
If all you are doing is transferring the kids' homework, then fine. I use my laptop for work. The programme crashed 7 times, each time about 1 hour in, so it's a bit frustrating. Not as much as Belkin's call centre; so far out in the sticks of the Ganges delta that I had to apologise into the sounds on the phone after asking the first operative to repeat himself several times and hang up, to try again, so I could understand 1 word. I mean it, not 1 word was understood. 2nd call to the non-network option told me I needed the network option. 3rd call to the network option said I needed the non-network option. 4th call to the network option couldn't help. WHAT? CAN'T HELP? If you've got a problem, you're on your own - believe me. I'm going to do this with a stack of CDRs. Thanks for nothing, Belkin, you've made a toy, not a tool.
on 15 November 2008
It is extortionate to charge this much for something you will probably only ever use once. Once you've transferred all your huge files you will probably, like me, go out and but a large USB stick for the day-to-day transfers because you will not have the time to wait for it to dawdle your files from one PC to another. Believe me, it is very slooow!
on 31 August 2007
Having read the positive reviews and purchased a Belkin "Cable". I can only agree with S.James. I did get it to work by following enclosed "instructions"
i.e. loading it onto my XP laptop - to transfer files to new Vista desktop - but wound up totally frustrated at speed of transfer. My solution was to use Sandisk 4GB Cruzer drive - great bit of kit !
on 27 July 2007
Having found that my local computer store will not stock this item as they "do not trust it", I was very pleasantly surprised how quickly and efficiently this item worked. It is very flexible so you can transfer all files or (as in my case) only some of the files, which included lots of pictures and music. If computer owners find that this product difficult to use, then they should get professional help and not blame Belkin.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse