VINE VOICEon 31 August 2007
The compact camera that my wife and I previously owned was lost or stolen after we had had it for less than 6 months. It was quite expensive and it took fine photos and we were naturally upset by its loss. Anyway, not wanting to risk losing such an expensive one again we replaced it a short while ago with the much less expensive Sony Cyber-shot W35. We were delighted to find that despite its very good price it is at least as good as the one we lost, and in some respects is better. So paying twice as much for a camera doesn't necessarily guarantee any noticeable improvement in quality of photos or ease of use !!

I would heartily recommend the Cyber-shot W35 to anyone looking for a quality camera which is straightforward to use. Of course there are lots of fancy options on it (most of which we have never used) for taking photos under varying types of conditions - we just use "auto" for almost all shots, or the video option for taking shorts video clips, complete with sound. It has already allowed us to add some beautiful family shots and clips to our collection.

The camera also has, which our previous one did not, a real-zoom viewfinder. This is much more traditional and comfortable to use than the LCD zoom. (There is, of course, a full LCD screen as well, including LCD zoom).

It is very light to carry; you would barely notice it in your pocket or hooked to your belt or bag. The battery is rechargeable (MUCH BETTER than replacement batteries) and has excellent capacity. It's a lovely, simple-to-use camera and we highly recommend it.
on 1 April 2007
I got this camera for Christmas and am extremely impressed with it, good quality pictures, compact and easy to sit in your handbag and extremely easy to use. Has a variety of different usages ... night vision, low light, beach etc etc. If you're looking for a well priced easy to use camera you can't do much better!
on 27 May 2007
I got this camera about 3 weeks ago and I'm very impressed with it. I didn't want a camera that was all singing and dancing! I just wanted one that was small, so I could take it on nights out and that was easy to use. This camera is both of those things. Very easy to use, just get it out of the box and start taking pictures!! And I've taken it on several nights out now and it has served me very well!!! So if you're looking for the same things that I was, I would definitely recommend this camera.
on 23 July 2007
Extremely good shots in difficult conditions in low light (on moving footplate of 50 - 60 mph steam locomotive) yet pocket sized, attractive looks and robust. Carl Zeiss lens is a big plus - worthwhile getting external memory card (good value again from Amazon) No longer using my more expensive Canon camera.
on 22 October 2007
This is a great pocket camera for the price - very fast start-up, excellent picture quality, really easy and intuitive to use.
However - it has been designed by technicians who clearly don't have everyday use in mind - for example.......

1. Does not come with a case - how much would a thin piece of vinyl cost?
2. You must use the Sony battery pack - and these retail for around £25
3. The battery pack has to be charged with the mains charger - it does not charge when connected through the USB port - so if you are out and about taking pictures and your battery runs flat, you cannot just drop in some AA's - you'll need to buy and charge and have with you a spare battery pack
4. You must use a Sony memory stick to extend the memory - these are more expensive than the freely available SD cards
5. When you transfer your pictures to the computer with the supplied USB cable - you cannot delete them from the camera via the computer - the internal camera memory is read-only and cannot be changed - so you have to unplug the camera and manually delete each picture on the camera or format the memory.

Like I said, a great camera, but built by technicians!
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2007
£100 for a 7 Megapixel SONY digital camera. Quick overview comes with a Carl Zeiss lens (meant to be one of the best around). Upto 7MP photos can be taken (only really useful for printing big pictures and zooming in I guess)
Resolution settings can be changed as to save memory if required. External memory cards are cheap to buy for this camera. Another positive which I like about this camera is the rechargeable battery, which is a lot better than the cameras I have had with AA batteries, which dont seem to last half as long I found. So you get a lot of pictures on full charge with this battery. Camera can be quite basic (point and shoot) or quite advanced (i.e. changing ISO settings). Works very good at point and shoot but the options are there for the advanced users or more experimental users. Recommended for £100 easily!!
on 17 June 2007
for the price i don't believe that you can get a camera as good as this one.

fantastic little camera, if a little heavy. camera itself feels quite robust and the lcd screen is large and has a fairly good resolution.
on 25 September 2007
I just bought this camera in Lanzorette 2 weeks ago and used it extensively on my holidays and what a cracker. Images were crystal clear when I downloaded them on my return and it was simplicity itself to use while on holiday. Great features wrapped up in a tidy package and at a great price (90-00) cheaper than Dublin including Memory Card and Case have me very pleased with my purchase. If you want a compact camera with all the features that you can think of, you will not be dissapointed the the W-35.
on 20 January 2008
I have been using a Canon Ixus for the last three years and have failed to be convinced by digital photography.

This Sony, at 40% of what I paid for the Canon, is leagues ahead. It is quick, easy to use and has a reasonably large LCD screen. Picture quality and colour balance is excellent. I recommend it.
on 9 August 2007
I recently purchased this camera for my girlfriend's birthday.
Received and used it and was very happy with the features and quality of the photos it took.
The auto mode was a little disappointing, as soon as it was darker became either over bright with the flash or not at all and unable to see anything in dusk light.
The battery life was good taken over 250 shots off the first charge.

But then on the second day it failed to load. "Could not access"
you could still access the photos but the lenses wouldn't load.

Replaced the camera in days and carried on with the replacement for 2 months at which point the Exact same fault happened again. It was working in the night, left it in a case on the table until the morning and turned on and same problem.

I am personally now choosing another model, as I am not risking an 3rd fault. it could have been a dodgy batch as the second camera was dispatched so promptly