Our Earthly Pleasures
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 September 2007
Buying an album on the strength of having liked just one single from it (Books From Boxes) is always a risk. It doesn't always pay off, but Our Earthly Pleasures is even better and more consistent than the quality of that single suggested. Having not heard the band's first album, I came to this one with no preconceptions or prejudices about what I was going to hear. The first two tracks, Girls Who Play Guitars and Our Velocity are full-on pop-rock, entertaining and energetic. They are followed by Books From Boxes, which is a gem of a track - but in many ways it is what happens from here on that makes this such a great album. Each successive track has either a great melodic hook, fantastic rhythmic interplay between the instruments or genuinely affecting lyrics, and often all three in combination. Standout tracks are hard to identify as the standard is so high, but By The Monument and Parisian Skies are good places to start. Overall, though, this is one of those rare records that you can just put on and play all the way through without a single duff track, where nothing outstays its welcome and you are left wanting more. Its also great to hear intelligent lyrics sung with honesty and directness in the singer's native Geordie accent - no pretending to have come from California here. I could recommend this album to just about anyone.
14 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 29 April 2017
Superb album from a criminally under rated band, not one track that needs skipping and the singles from this album are the strrongest of their career
on 2 December 2015
I really think this album is a work of genius both lyrically and musically. I recently went to their 10 years anniversary gig and it was amazing - which prompted me to go and buy this again as I'd lost my previous copy.
on 13 August 2009
I saw Maximo Park on the TV coverage of the Glastonbury Festival and thought they were brilliant. In my opinion 'Our Velocity' is their best song, which is why I opted to buy this album. Unfortunately, 'Our Velocity' and 'Girls Who Play Guitar' are the only decent songs on here and I am underwhelmed by the rest of the album. An album for devoted fans only, I think.
on 27 April 2017
bought as a replacement for my damaged one.
on 29 February 2016
good album, not quite as good as 'a certain trigger'.
on 22 November 2016
Ok
on 13 March 2015
This was bought to give as a gift. It arrived on time the recipient was happy and so am I.
on 3 December 2016