Customer reviews

on 26 June 2007
This is a 2EP/mini-album/2 Mini-CD set... featuring 12 wonderful songs from this Australian brother and sister.

Their unconventional upbringing, family life and attitudes have obviously made marks on the music they play, but it is none the worse for that.

"Private Lawns" uses lyrics from the musical Calamity Jane to great effect, and yes it deserves to be the sound of the summer... but something far more banal will probably overshadow it.

I can't speak highly enough of this, and the live show is quiet and nothing flashy, but the effect of the joy that is evident on the stage is to raise the music from wonderful to a genuinely sublime experience.

They are in the UK for about 3 months. I urge you to go and see them while you can.
on 16 July 2007
I am slightly confused by the ratings given by other reviewers who seem to have really enjoyed these two EPs (now released as a combined package), unfortunately their scores suggest otherwise?!
I have grown to love these songs. The arangements are understated, 'stripped down,' simple, but nevertheless quite beautiful. The vocal harmonies are unique and lovely - one moment delicate and provocative - 'Mango Tree' the next full emotion and angst - 'What you wanted'. I saw them live in Manchester July 07 and was delighted that their performance more than matched this recording. A mix of these songs, new compositions and a great cover made for a really engaging evening. Julia has a great stage prescence- 'sidereus-a-um!!'
on 27 July 2016
I love this brother and sister duo.
This album was recommended to me by a friend some years ago and was the first album that I heard and bought by Angus and Julia Stone.
Private Lawns just blew me away on first listen with Julia Stone's little girl voice reminding me a bit of Melanie although Julia is a bit more melodic in my opinion. The rest of this double ep grew on me over the next few days.
I wanted more so I then bought 'A Book Like This' and the opening track 'The Beast' did it again for me. I had to try hard not to over play it :-)
Now I have a pretty decent hi-fi system, in fact I have two pretty decent hi-fi systems, Naim amplification, Stealth amplification, Naim CDS, Linn LP12, Linn Isobariks and Neat Acoustic speakers plus a shed load of Mana supports, you know, that sort of thing ;-)
These albums sound great in the car, but play them on a decent system and they come alive. Three dimensional stuff with the duo standing there in the room.
I've listened to their music at a whisper level and it's intimate and gets into your soul. Play them loud and you just don't want the music to end.
I've since bought all of their albums as well as their solo outings. Angus' Broken Brights' has become an all time favourite, 'The wolf and the butler' and 'Monsters' are my stand out tracks and would be one of my desert island discs.
I bought their album titled 'Angus and Julia Stone' and shorty after that they released a deluxe edition with three extra tracks. Don't you hate it when record companies do that!
I bought the deluxe edition as well, because I just had to have those extra tracks and I'm glad I did. My friend was also pleased as I gave him the other version :-)
on 19 December 2007
I heard a snippet of Private lawns on the radio one evening, loved it and spent a few weeks trying to find out just who these two were. Finally recieved the 2EP/mini album today and have listened to it twice right through - very unusual for me. Grabbed me as soon as I heard it, can't put my finger on why. It's refreshingly simple and not overproduced/ Love it.
on 16 July 2007
I too cannot understand the rather conflicting reviews here. The text is full of praise but the stars don't match!!!

However, my five stars are deliberate as I saw these delightful two at Latitude and I was mesmerised from start to finish. The songs are simple yet compelling; the stage presence as magnetic as ever I've seen.

"Can I marry your sister?" one of the crowd shouted to Angus. "Me too." shouted another and then another. Julia had a glow and lightness about her that justified the crowds instant longing. And not forgetting that haunting voice...
on 13 August 2007
Saw Angus and Julia Stone at Latitude. We were sitting outside the Uncut stage and were drawn in by the music as the stage had emptied out. We were stunned by how beautiful the songs and the performance was.
on 16 July 2007
I heard this duo for the first time last night at Latitude festival and was knocked out. Both have beautiful voices and can play too (guitars, gob iron and even trumpet). The songs have a spooky, sweet feel. File next to Be Good Tanyas and Jolie Holland. Sensational, in an understated way.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2007
This is a lovely, semi-acoustic shuffle of a record, but with unease-making undertones: a sort of sunny Sunday morning, get over hangover, feed cat and make coffee sort of an affair, but with a nagging undertow that, behind all that, something's wrong. Someone's clearly buying it given its Amazon chart rating, and 'Private Lawns' may end up as the unlikeliest hit single of the summer. There's a weird intelligence at work here...