King Of Cards
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 September 2017
This is a great album, enjoyed this from the first listening, and is still a favourite
on 11 January 2018
Great album
on 26 July 2014
Fast postage, great value, will use again
on 14 November 2007
I loved Tom McRae's debut album, absolutely loved it, but his follow-ups were, for me, a mixed batch: "Just Like Blood" was dreary and tuneless, while "All Maps Welcome" had some good moments. I approached this, his fourth, warily, and have been more than pleasantly surprised. McRae seems to have broadened his musical palette considerably, and it does him the world of good. A dash of Springsteen on "Sound of the City", even a glimpse of Peter Gabriel on "Keep Your Picture Clear", and it makes for a fantastic, uplifting listen, an album of heart and soul with a real intelligence behind it. I can't praise this album enough -- it's definitely one of my favourites for the year.
on 20 February 2007
The Tom McRae we knew and loved has evolved. Before we had 'music to slit your wrists to' of the highest quality, now we have songs that retain what we loved about the old stuff but this time will actually be played on the radio.

That Tom writes beautiful, inspired and passionate music goes without question. It was never happy enough to get airtime, though and he ended up with a cult of devotees ensuring sold out concerts all over Europe and to an extent America, his albums never did as well as they deserved to. This time he's written a few happy songs (don't worry there are still a few bleak ones there) and is heading for the Bright Lights with this offering.

I don't own this but sreamed it all several times for his website on Friday and went to see him live yesterday. There's some fantastic stuff on this one.
on 22 May 2007
If anyone's work confirms that suffering is a prerequisite for great art, it's Tom McRae's. 2003's *Just Like Blood* is a work of bleak majesty, genuinely one of the great lost albums of the decade - songs like 'You Only Disappear', 'Walking 2 Hawaii', and 'Human Remains' are pinnacles of the songwriting craft. *King of Cards* is not a bad record, but only once does it scale those heights - the lovely 'Got a Suitcase, Got Regrets'. Too many of the other songs strive to be upbeat but don't have the memorable tunes to carry them, while even the more restrained tracks like 'Deliver Me' just sound like bland filler, without the musical edge to bring the lyrics to life. I'm afraid I'm going back to Bright Eyes' *Cassadaga*.
on 28 June 2007
This is Tom's fourth album and probably the only one that surpasses it is his second, 'Just Like Blood'. The album immediately grabs your attention with the pounding beat of 'Set the Story Straight' and follows this with the the gloriously upbeat 'Bright Lights'. Sometimes listening to a Tom McRae album everything can seem rather samey but this time he seems to have chosen a good variety of tracks to keep you enagaged all the way through. 'Keep Your Picture Clear' has makes excellent use of Tom's voice to create a clam menace in probably the most political song on the album, whilst 'One Mississippi' is in my opinion the stand out track, everything you could want from a Tom McRae track.

This is an album that will win over new people in a way that 'All Maps Welcome' probably cannot. Tom clearly knows how to write a good tune and while his vocals would never win on the X-Factor (as no self respecting singer-songwriter's should), they have a fragile charm that suits perfectly the subjects he writes about. If you only buy one Tom McRae album, buy 'Just Like Blood' but after that, this is definately the one to go for.
on 20 March 2007
like the first two reviewers, I joined the online listening party. The songs really grew on me and all these weeks later I still have the melodies floating about in my head. The one that really got to me was "lord, how long". It sounded like a hymn - the words sounded like a prayer - and the more I listened the more it seemed to be speaking about Iraq/Afghanistan and the endless bloodshed on all sides.

What else can I say - his voice is beautiful, textured, wondrous, the cello is definitely still there, and the man can write songs.
on 12 September 2008
I had none of Tom McRae's other albums but Amazon recommended it to me.

And what an album it is. Stunning, emotional, beautiful. Since writing this review I am gone and bought All Maps Welcome - Another stunning album. Tom McRae is amazing! Cannot understand why some people compare him to Radiohead though! - I see no resemblance whatsoever.

Thoroughly recommended.
on 1 June 2007
I seem to measure my life not in years but Tom McRae albums these days. His previous (third album) All Maps Welcome, was by his high standards not the full Tom so I was hoping that this his fourth collection would proove it was a minor blip.

Having heard these songs after being given the chance to stream them from his website several weeks before release, they have had a chance to grow in me. Some artists songs hooks get in you and even though enjoyable there is a lack of balance and they can almost be too catchy. However I woke up today with the gentle melody in my head of Got a Suitcase, Got Regrets swishing around like waves up an Australian beach.

I have no worries now about Tom being washed out as this is another exceptionally fine album.

I don't think it will be his White Ladder but maybe someday he might well get that even richer seam of commercial form in the studio. I'll be very content though if I reach 'forty' if they are all as good as this.