Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 September 2011
This is the second Delain album I've bought. The first was April Rain (and that was great too), but this was released first and is in my opinion one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. It has such varied and interesting tracks that I play it repeatedly and still don't lose interest. I love "See Me in Shadow" particularly for the words as well as the music - how do Dutch bands produce great lyrics in English? I have huge admiration for them.
The only negative for me is that there are two tracks with a "Death Metal" voice - but I can forgive them for that because the rest of the album is so excellent. Great value for money, too!
on 12 June 2016
I only got into Delain recently, and by got into I mean, I bought all of their studio albums. After listening to each album a number of times, I can say that I found that Lucidity is Delain's weakest.

The album is still good, and solid with strong guitars, vocals and orchestral elements. The guest musicians work well on the album with the awesome Marco Hietala delivering his great vocals on several songs, including The Gathering, which is my favourite track on the whole record.

It's just, I never got into musical projects. Avantasia, Ayreon and others just never gripped me because I'm used to the same vocalists being on each track (with the exception guest vocalists) I'm not saying the other lead vocalists (Sharon Den Adel and Liv Kristine) are bad singers, its just the songs where they are the leads (No Compliance and A Day For Ghosts) are the weakest songs on the album, and can throw the album of the rails for me.

Don't let what I'm saying discourage you from buying, or checking this album out because it is certainly is worth a look, just be prepared for the vocalists to switch which may, or may not, affect how you see the album as a whole. Lucidity is a good album listen to, but it won't surpass it's predecessors in my books
on 22 November 2008
I first heard Delain at the Metal Female Voices Fest in 2007 (a plug for MFVF - make time for this event, it happens every October in Wiese, Belgium...) and was blown away by the quality, easily the equal of Within Temptation or Leaves Eyes - all the more surprising for the fact that I'd never heard of them beforehand. An investigation of the 'Lucidity' album reveals the wealth of talent that went into the recording.
Certainly, the name Westerholt must a be a magnet in the European gothic / symphonic / prog metal scene - it almost seems as if the word went out that Martijn Westerholt was putting a project together and people queued up to get involved. Any album that includes Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) AND Liv Kristine (Leaves Eyes) AND Marco Hietala (Nightwish) is a special event. Add in the not-inconsiderable Charlotte Wessels and the seemingly genetically-inherent talents of Martijn Westerholt as the driving force - and it's no surprise that this album isn't cheap to acquire. This is a gem.
Echoing other reviewers, this is an album which I could listen to constantly. Picking standout tracks, 'Sever', 'Frozen' and 'Silhouette of a Dancer' make up a fabulous opening trio, while 'The Gathering' is positively addictive (especially the chorus harmony with Marco Hietala). Curiously, if I had to point out weaker tracks, I'd have to say that 'No Compliance' (with Sharon den Adel on vocals) is a bit insubstantial and is followed immediately by the quietest track 'See Me In Shadow' (including Liv Kristine) which is quite nice but leaves (no pun intended) you waiting for some more oomph from the next track (duly delivered, thankfully). Also, 'Pristine' includes a hefty chunk of 'extreme' vocals, which aren't my cup of tea, but that's a matter of taste and Ms Wessels' contribution is more than enough to rescue the song as a whole.
I've enthused in another review about WT's 'The Silent Force' (probably the greatest album ever produced in any genre, in my humble opinion...) and while 'Lucidity' doesn't quite scale the same peaks of epic magnificence, I still have to say that if you like this genre, then you simply MUST buy this album: you will be glad you did so.
on 15 August 2011
When I was downloading some Within Temptation albums I got that little banner at the bottom of my screen say "people who purchased this album also purchased the following ......." and one of them was Lucidity. I will admit to be sufficiently shallow that I thought "Hmmm not a bad album cover" so I gave them a preview listen and liked what I heard. So I then ventured off to Wiki-land and discovered Delain are another Dutch band and were actually a spin-off from Within Temptation being formed by former keyboard player Martijn Westeholt after he left the band during a spell of ill health.

This album was cheap to download and I don't regret a single penny I spent on it. Singer Charlotte Wessels has a great voice and I am finding that I listen to Delain as much as I do Within Temptation. Their follow up album April Rain is even better and all I can say is that if Amazon occasionally throws up a few recommendations at the bottom of your screen, give them a listen cos you may just be surprised at what you find. If you are into the whole Paramore, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil genre of rock then you will love Delain and I recommend you to give them a listen. Again I have only given this 4 stars because of my own limited threshold for being able to listen to female rock vocalists .... but it is good, very good.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 May 2016
The debut album from Delain and what a cracker it is. With similar sounds to Within Temptation and Nightwish means that if you like those guys you should like Delain. In fact the album is a bit of a collaboration, with appearances from Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) and Marco Hietala (Nightwish) among others. The chemistry certainly seems to work with great writing from Martijn Westerholt (formerly of Within Temptation) and vocals from Charlotte Wessels you can't really go wrong. If you are a fan of symphonic metal then this is a must listen. A great album that gets regular replays from me.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2008
This is a stunning CD which any fan of Within Temptation should buy. I actually think it's as good as if not better than WT. Well worth the price Amazon is currently charging due it being difficult to get hold of any other way.

Delain is a 'project' band masterminded by Martijn Westerholt (yes, brother of Robert) which has a few core members and many guest artists such as Sharon Den Adel (WT), Marco Hietala (Nightwish) and Liv Kristine (Leave's Eyes). If you've ever wanted to know what a duet between Sharon and Marco would sound like, here it is on the track 'No Compliance'. Most of the songs are done in a slight goth-rock style much in the same vein as WT with maybe a bit more melody and energy on some of the tracks.

Also the main vocalist Charlotte Wessels sounds great and is quite beautiful which is a plus, although I wouldn't put her in the top league. I'm glad I bought this, I've hardly listened to anything else since I got it.
11 Comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 July 2017
I've just re-discovered this after not having played it for a few years and wow, I'd forgotten how amazing this album is. Unfortunately, in my opinion, Delain have never quite managed to capture the magic of this album although their new music is great. This album is special, with guest appearances by Liv Kristine and the fabulous Marco Hietala, it captures symphonic metal in a beautifully fresh way. I've just ordered the remastered version and can't wait to play it again. Stand out tracks are Shattered, The Gathering, Silhouette of a Dancer, Frozen, A Day for Ghosts and Sleepwalkers Dream. They don't make em like this any more.
on 20 January 2016
Firstly delain are a great band but compared to all the other albums lucidity comes up a bit short there are some great tracks on there that have become live classics like the gathering but as a studio album not as good as April rain or the excellent we are the others also I don't know why with the excellent Charlotte on vocals they feel the need to spoil a few tracks by adding growlie vocals
on 7 May 2007
i discoverd this album by accident and it hasn't left my cd player since i got it.If you are a fan of Within Temptation as I am, then i think you will love it.It is very smilar in style to W.T. and even features Sharon on a couple of tracks.I won't go into details about the history of the band and who's in it etc,all you need to know is that this a superb debut album and i can't recommend it highly enough.
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 October 2011
It's female-fronted metal, so it's heavy, sometimes bombastic, but for such a relative unknown band the quality was a pleasant surprise. The band were not really settled at the time of recording, so there are numerous guest appearances (including den Adel from Within Temptation and Hietala from Nightwish) to add a bit of variety.
But the main star is definitely singer Charlotte Wessels who really shines here. She has a warm, easy voice, delicate at times, but elsewhere with a lot of power. I would even say that the grunts and growls from the male vocalists are superfluous with such a great singer in the band ('Pristine', e.g. could have been a really good song if it hadn't been for the ugly grunting parts).
'Frozen' with its catchy chorus and fantastic mix of guitars and vocals is arguably the highlight of the album. 'See Me In Shadow' with its subtle opening is strong as well. 'Silhouette Of A Dancer' has a fine mix of male and female vocals. The bombastic aspect is served by mock choirs on 'Sever' and 'Daylight Lucidity'.
Overall a very entertaining album which helped me through many a long drive. Strongly recommended for fans of early Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation or Nightwish.