on 10 December 2007
The original film adaptation of Kenneth Grahame's classic 'The Wind in the Willows', made by Cosgrove Hall productions for television was a pure delight, and is highly regarded as one of the most faithful, successful and enjoyable ever attempted.
The ensuing five series went on to prolong and expand that wonderful universe. There is no much else that I can say regarding this first series, except to point out that further chapters and characters of the original novel that were left out in the 1983 film were featured here. Indeed, some of the aforementioned chapters from the book were adapted into episodes, such as 'The Further Adventures of Toad', 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' or 'Wayfarers All', and characters such as Otter and his son Portly appeared for the first time. Another element worthy of notice is that the tone of several episodes in this series is darker than in the other series, as there are many characters in distress, like Billy the field mouse in 'The Great Steamer', or Otter and Portly in 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn', or even Badger almost losing his home in 'Buried Treasure', and the utter sadness of Ratty in 'Wayfarers All'. The other series tend to be more cheerful and revolve around the antics of the funny and outrageous Toad of Toad Hall.
These DVDs are not to be missed owing to the extraordinary quality of this Cosgrove Hall produced series, and I do hope the remaining series get to be released soon.
11 Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 June 2007
If, like me, you remember the original airing of this show on children's television, then (like me) you are possibly in the position of wanting to share the wonderful stories of Toad, Ratty, Mole & Badger with your own children. The animation is superb, with incredible attention to details relevant to the Edwardian life and countryside. The episodes are all very well written and the characters are voiced by some of our best-loved actors. I am so pleased that the copyright owners have finally decided to release this series on DVD. In the midst of today's violent or highly sarcastic animated character this DVD set stands out as charming, heart-warming and enduring.
on 21 November 2009
I love this animated series and highly recommend it. It's best viewed with a comforting hot drink and a plate of hot buttered crumpets on a frosty winter evening. I have enjoyed each of the short tales, which are mainly based on chapters from the original book, again and again, they really are a treat.
on 14 August 2014
Classic Children's Television. Have purchase a few Wind in the Willows DVD, as I loved watching them as a Child in the 80's. Just as Fantastic as when I use to watch them.

I watch these DVD's now whenever I like and Just wished I lived there. They are lovely.

If your a Child of the 80's and remember this Classic Series add this to your DVD Collection.
on 24 January 2013
I thought that as i enjoyed the book when I was at school in the 40's, I would introduce my Grand children to it, they gave it the thumbs up. So I rate it highly. a good story is a good story at anytime.
on 27 April 2013
Bought this DVD as I have introduced my young grandsons to Wind in the Willows. They really love it and the story comes to life. It is hard to believe that the film was made so long ago (1980s).
on 18 June 2016
GREAT FILM REMINDS ME OF MY CHILD HOOD,JIMMY SAVILLE CLIFF RICHARD ROLF HARRIS,MEMORIES THEY ARE ALL COMING BACK..AGHHH MOMMY...
on 30 April 2013
this was a good dvd to watch its nice for young children my granson hasnt seen it yet he is a bit to young for it
on 5 November 2014