on 4 April 2005
The second major Kandi release this year - third if you count the single disc sampler - is a sumptuous banquet of deep, dark and dirrty house music. It's a smorgasbord of 3AM disco designed to deliver a smile to you face and a wiggle to your bum!
And, as with practically everything they do, the Hed Kandi team deliver again. There's quite a few tracks on here you'll already know if you're a fan of the scene, like Deep Dish's unparalled 'Flashdance' which smashed through the UK charts earlier this year. Highlights also include 'Buzz Junkie' by Tom Neville, the Laura Brannigan sampling 'Feel It' by Antoine Clamaran, and the latest offering from Tall Paul, 'Get It'. My personal favourite is the deeply strange 'Weird Therapy' with its monotone repeated mantra, 'It doesn't mean that I'm weird, it doesn't mean I need to be in therapy'. If you like the forthcoming single from the Bodyrockers - 'I Like The Way You Move' - you will love this track.
A word also for the sleeve design. Hed Kandi always, but always have the best cover artwork. Everything they do is crammed with such style! Now the prints are available not only on the Hed Kandi calendar (which has pride of place in my DJ box!) but also as prints from the website!
I love the disco-orientated output from Hed Kandi, but the Twisted Disco CDs are generally the best for consistent quality. If the other CDs are for the disco angels amongst you, the Twisted Disco CDs are for those that prefer to dress up as devils, and go around with a dirrty grin and a naughty twinkle in their eye!
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2011
I used to love Twisted Disco, it said what it was on the tin, now it's all hybrids of music, stuff I hate like trance, and it's less and less about house music. I'm not sure why HK think this is any variant of disco, or even electronica - this is purely trance, with vocals just to make this more reachable to the public.

What's even more annoying - is this is mixed, and not very well either, there is no flair, and even though there is a MP3 version on this very site Twisted Disco 2011 this just isn't on, especially if you like DJing yourself. This is a kick in the teeth to people like myself who've followed Kandi since it's start, and love all their old release (when Mark Doyle was there) - it seems they're following the MOS style of releasing, mixing everything, and not being too strict on the genre.

I'm very disappointed, as tracks like Eric Pryd's new release Niton (The Reason) (Original Mix) are brilliant, and even tracks by Deadmau5 & Wolfgang Gartner show potential. I was also glad to hear an instrumental of Swedish House Mafia's Miami 2 Ibiza, but really the rest didn't inspire me, it started to lose momentum, and I got fed up. Everything seems to roll into one - and you don't really enjoy the journey, I guess this can make boring trips on the train more exciting, but really, if you're sitting there listening to this, your mind moves to other things. I doubt many people will find themselves doing much more than exercise in the gym to this really.

CD2 isn't really much better, except for Diplo's work with Tiesto, but again this is trance music, not really my interest area, when I used to listen to this - things like Shiny Disco Balls [Main Mix] by Who Da Funk Feat Jessica Eve was considered this sort of twisted disco house music that Kandi made this for.

Bring back the talent of Mark Doyle, this is just going down the pan quicker than a ruined meal.
1313 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2013
I bought this with the 'auto rip' as a pull, as I love playing it straight after ordering while I'm waiting for it to come! Got only 2 rubbish songs not even on the cd. Called amazon but despite their apologies and attempt to rectify I never got anywhere and remain auto rip-less to this day! Cd ok looooove headkandi and have a massive collection. Other auto rips have been fab .....
on 7 June 2012
...as that's what Hed Kandi have been doing to this series and your wallet since 2010. TD used to have a clear identity with variety, imagination and, by the standards of a commercial label, a degree of edge. For me, it was the stand-out HK compilation. Recently it has degenerated into something lazy, predictable, boring and full of house clichés.

This is my first review on Amazon and I write it in the hope that the Hed Kandi team will take notice and up their game for next year. Maybe then they won't feel compelled to write their own 5 star reviews to disguise a truly weak product.
on 27 October 2007
I purchased this CD with some trepidation as I've slowly watched an amazing brand lose some of its earlier morals of steering away from the charts and showing music fans what can be found out there. Little coincidence I think that things took a bad turn with the departure of a certain key figure from the label.

Twisted is by far my favourite of the collections and I am extremely biased toward them! In this case, sadly, I feel the latest edition was something of a letdown from the second I heard `Party all the time' (my girl wants to). Bearing in mind this was fresh off the charts - then it just continued with several more straight out the production line.

Now don't get me wrong - it is a good CD and you can really hear the fact it has been thoroughly washed in a Hed Kandi Twisted washing machine - that I'm sure would be great to dance and listen to in a Hed Kandi club. There are some stonkin' tunes that really get you going and if this was an off spin in it's own right (from a club night for example) I would be glad to own and recommend it, but it's not. It's Twisted Disco by Hed Kandi and instead of sourcing from the yonder (and there is some amazing stuff comin' out of the American and Canadian scene that is not touching the commercial charts) they are now sat in front of MTV dance chart and putting them through the aforementioned washing machine.

I like it, I really do, but if like me, you were a die-hard fan of what they previously did, then you're gonna' be disappointed. Buy it, you'll like it, I'd give it 4 maybe even 4.5 stars in it's own right - but die hard fans - take out the sleeve and pretend it's not happened! I give it 3 simply for the fact it spells the end for me if it continues like this. Like I said, you can't please everyone!!
on 28 January 2011
No longer dj friendly - I bought this on the highstreet and didn't figure that there were a few too many tracks for this to be unmixed as previous releases have been. Buy the digital version - you get all the tracks in their entirety PLUS the mixes as well.
on 7 June 2012
During the mid-noughties TD was dependably good and saw the popularisation of some pretty good club music - Mylo, Tiga, the Egg etc. We all know what we're talking about.

Recently and perhaps increasingly, especially since MoS stuck their oar in, the series has declined and lost its power. How sad. The collection here consists of repetitive sounds and very tiresome motorcycle builds in each subsequent track. It may as well be a certain horrible commercial London channel on loop. Which costs money.

Do not buy.
on 5 August 2005
I've enjoyed a couple of past compilations from Head Kandi but not this one. Nothing to get excited about here, the majority of songs sound amauteurish and are not either uplifting or challenging. Avoid.
on 4 March 2009
I was really looking forward to this since i heard about it a few weeks ago. The artwork is gorgeous as usual... Its a excellent collection of upfront electro house. The newcomers from Defected and Strictly ATFC - Give Me Luv, Juan Kidd & Lisa Millett are deep and sexy... while the new ATFC remix of Golden Girls - Kinetic is just MIND BLOWING!!! Its the perfect example of what you would find on a HK dancefloor late into the night.
The releases recently have been on top form... they just get tighter and tighter... this one is no exception... much better and more uniform than last years. 10/10

:-)
on 6 April 2006
The return of the Twisted Disco series by the hand of the new label owner MoS, comes with a new refreshing sound this year.
This album submerges you into a brand new vision of the twisted concept, heading it to the electro-house music sound side(something new for kandi's style). Even though past editions' tracks used acid synths putting one foot in this genre, the sound reflected in most of this album's tracks take this concept to a new higher level. Great examples of this compillation's quality are Mylo's "Muscle Car", Tiga's "You gonna want me", Wonderland Avenue's magnificent re-make of Laidback's electro funk "Ride The White Horse", Noir's "All About the House Music" and, my favorite one, "Same Man" by Till West & DJ Delicious, among others. Definitely, an obligatory purchase for a Twisted Disco Lover.