Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 25 June 2007
Hi, I pretty much agree with all the other reviews I have seen. THere is very little to fault on this watch. The dial on mine is charcoal rather than blue, which I prefer anyway. Only gripes are that the backlight is soo dim (I bought the watch for sailing) and I put a big scratch across the dial on day 1 - not mineral glass then! Having a super accurate watch that is maintained by solar power are big plusses for me. Love it! Oh - and shop around - I got mine for £40.
on 31 October 2010
I bought this to replace a much-loved Casio databank watch which worked faithfully for over ten years, and which was irretrievably broken when I and my bicycle were involved in an altercation with a car.

After trawling the internet for days researching suitable alternatives I decided to buy the wave-ceptor, because it was inexpensive, would always display the correct time without adjustment as it was radio-controlled, and the battery wouldn't have to be changed as it was solar-powered. The solar-powered aspect was a big inducement, as the only drawback of the databank was the downtime of the watch between battery changes which was roughly every two years or so.

The watch arrived promptly and when I opnened the box the correct time/date was already correctly displayed. The next hour was spent with the manual familiarising myself with the myriad functions and settings. The large watch face is an easily-readable analogue format - which I have always preferred - with white numbers on a black face, and the digital display at the bottom. The analogue time cannot be seen in the dark, but pressing button B on the top right illuminates the digital display for a few seconds, although as previous reviewers have noted, the light is not very bright, but it is sufficient to see the time displayed, which is all you need anyway.

The solar-powered battery aspect does not mean that the battery must be exposed to sunlight to be charged, as explained in the manual it can be charged from any light source, although obviously the battery will charge much quicker if exposed to sunlight. The approximate times of charging for different light sources are indicated in the manual, which is very helpful. The battery can be checked using the C button on the bottom left, and an indicator on the digital display lets you know if the battery needs to be charged for any length of time, although I have had the watch for over a month and the capacity has never displayed anything other than HI. It all depends on how often battery-draining functions are used, especially if the light is used frequently and loads of alarms are set.

The manual advises that the watch be left on a window-sill overnight to receive the radio-controlled signal which is transmitted every hour from 1.00am - 5.00am, however I have never done so and the watch sits beside my bed and quite happily receives the signal without being anywhere near the sill.

The watch is also water resistant and can be worn whilst showering or swimming. One big plus for me is the rubber strap which does not irritate my skin like the metal ones do and is very easy to adjust. Additionally the glass on the face is slightly recessed so that it should not be as susceptible to occasional scratches.

I liked the time automatically changing when British Summer Time ended - the various modes of daylight saving can be toggled on or off as required. I travel to the continent frequently so I am looking forward to my next trip abroad, to see if the time automatically adjusts to European Central Time without me having to change the settings back and forward.

All in all it is another terrific watch from Casio, and I am very happy with my purchase.
on 16 April 2007
After reading some negative reviews on this watch I took the plunge and went and bought one anyway. And I'm glad I did.

The watch is function over beauty - don't expect anything to impress others. It is strong, well made and comfortable. The biggist shock of owning one is the very first time you take it out of the box. It jumps to life and the 3 hands scurry away to find the correct time!

Another advantage is that it is self contained. The solar power and automatic time updates mean that you can just forget about any maintenace. You just put it on and you know that the battery is 100% charged and the time is slit second perfect.

My actual watch face is charcoal coloured, not a blue tint as pictured. And yes, the strap could be a little thicker. I am a skinny chap so it does not effect me.

Love gadgets? then buy one.
on 29 February 2008
Casio seem to have cornered the market in these watches and this is my second one. I don't really feel I could buy any other type of watch now, no matter how much you paid for a watch it is never going to be as accurate as the Casio Wave Ceptor. This particular watch is clear, efficient as ever, the strap is comfortable and has the added bonus of solar power. I just can't fault it.
on 9 April 2007
The watch works as described. It doesn't look as good as it does in the photo, but it's OK. 3 alarms, stopwatch, highly accurate.

The rechargeable battery needs only 5 mins of direct sunlight to gain enough charge to last 5 months, apparently. The battery needs to be changed every 3-4 years, according to the instructions, which may be overly conservative as they also say you should remove the watch from your wrist and place it by a window every night in order for it to receive a time-signal - this isn't the case (at least, not it SE England) ; I just wear the watch all the time and it picks up updates every night without a problem.

The luminous paint on the hands and numbers doesn't glow for long in the dark but there's always the back light, and you don't have to worry about draining the battery!

The watch may be a bit expensive - without the wave ceptor functionality I doubt you'd want to pay more than 16 quid for it.
on 9 May 2007
i,ve got one of these babies in black and if its accurate time you are after well this is the one for you. its got a host of functions stopwatch ,alarms etc but its the timekeeping which does it for me it updates 4 times overnight to ensure maximum accuracy and it is quite amazing the first time it updates to see the hands whirling around of their own also self adjusts for winter and summer time,unfortunately if you pop to the continent you have to manually change the time but after that it works as normal.only minor grip i would have is that the alarms are a wee bit on the quite side but apart from that its well worth the money.
on 28 June 2009
This is the second of these watches I've bought as I wanted a spare. This really is the best watch I've ever owned. Accurate to the second due to the twice daily radio wave updates. Never have to adjust the day/date for odd months or for BST again. Only downside is the the strap fixing is specific to Casio watches so new straps have to be specially bough and fitted by jewellers/watchmakers.
on 18 July 2009
I bought mine about 7 years ago and it is still working with the original battery. Only problem is that last week the strap broke and it has to be sent back by a retailer to Casio to be replaced.

Functions are clear, easy to use and it's great to have a watch that is always accurate to the second and thanks to the solar power has not needed any battery replacement.
on 15 June 2010
For me, this watch is quite the essence of the excellence in a analogic watch, because the reading of the time is absolutely clear and precise, and for mi it has a very beautiful and elegant design and combines the best of the two world: the analigic (for the time) and the digital (for the calendar).
on 8 March 2010
This watch is grey, not blue. I have had a Junghans solar atomic watch for 16 years nd love the idea, no battery to change and always the right time. So much for the mega expensive watches that keep "great" time. What good is a watch if it doesn't display the correct time?

I wanted a cheaper solar atomic watch to work with. This does the job. Not sure why the manual says the battery will need replacing after 5 years. Citizen eco watches say the battery lasts a lifetime and as I said, my Junghans atomic solar has been going faultless for nearly 20 years.

Anyway, it does the job, the backlight is just a waste of energy as it's too dim. When traveling you can change your city and it re-adjusts the time. Instructions are a little fiddly for what it is but with practise you get the hang of it. Certainly rugged and feels like you can drop it and it'll never break. Its looks don't 'wow' you at all but I wasn't looking for that, if I was I'd have been disappointed.

Good watch.