Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 August 2017
One of my favourite albums.
on 30 May 2007
Having waited so long for a new album I was a bit worried about what it would be like, but I should have known that the Oysters would not bring out anything second rate. Every track on this album is there by its own merit, and some are surely destined to be classics, sung by everyone at gigs. Even if you're not normally into folk, I'd say give this album a try - you'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the musical gems.
on 28 May 2007
I wanted to hear more of this group after having bought the Big Session CD - but I wasn't prepared for the utter enchantment as I listened to it. This is for me one of those serendipitous moments when you stumble across something amazing. The rhythms are infectious and the music irresistible, but the words bowled me over with a direct and immediate impact that you usually only get from poems. There are songs of social and global anxiety and songs of deep and personal emotions but this is not a depressing album - quite the opposite. It's vibrant and alive and utterly enthralling. Don't be put off if you think you won't enjoy 'folk music' - this is something of quite a different order from the stereotypes most people have. My acid test of a new CD is how soon I want to hear it again...having heard it once I just want to play it again straightaway - so excuse me while I dash off and enjoy the magic all over again.
on 22 April 2007
A different proposition to the Oysters a decade ago in many ways, much more reflective,(and acoustic like many of their more recent offerings), but still with the political comment and BIG chorus. There never has been a bad Oysterband album, but this is up there with Holy Bandits and Deserters.

This has never been off my CD player sice I acquired it, and has major highlights such as the opening and finishing track. If you do not have an Oysterband CD get this or the aforementioned. If you do, add this to your collection. And see them live- they will blow you away
on 19 April 2008
Finally got to the Oysterband live here in Canada in April 2008. They played 6 or 7 songs from this album. This CD is the next chapter in a brilliant career. Songwriting on this is incredible. 'Here comes the Flood' sums this album perfectly. Biting lyrics ('my teeth are unamerican' come to mind), sweet melodies, and a mature band that are at the top of their game.
on 25 July 2010
This is the Oysterband's latest greatest album, as good as RISE ABOVE from 2003 (see my review). The band is intact here, with the same line-up as on the albums going all the way back to the early Nineties at least -- John Jones, Chopper, Lee Partis, Alan Prosser and Ian Telfer (Lee has since left the band). The sound is the same folk-rock with Celtic elements that the Oysters have been playing all along, no new marketing angles or slick new production tricks.

The opening track, "Over the Water," is a great feature for John Jones's voice, a beautiful love song. Then comes the power strumming of "Here Comes the Flood," with a litany of outrages, and the chorus "Socialism's orphaned child, unimpressed, unreconciled -- some people think I'm crazy, but I'm not -- here comes the flood." One verse is taken by a Dylanesque harmonica solo, and listener participation is involuntary and exhausting, what with the stomping and bellowing!

"Walking Down the Road With You" is a sinister up-tempo number, and who or what it is that is walking down the road with you is never clear, but full of ominous implications. "Everything Must Go" is one of the Oysters' best songs ever, and a powerful statement of not just recognizing but embracing impermanence and change -- "Everything must go, it's a new day -- everything must go, there's a new way." The other song on this album that is an instant all-time classic is "Just One Life," with the paradoxical yet exhilarating chorus "Just one life, so many doors -- we have nothing, we have it all." These are lyrical and melodic gems, and if I hear Buddha and Marx in them, you might hear other echoes, but they literally inspire!

The Oysterband represents the heart and soul of an alternative vision, a vision of a world of solidarity, peace, justice and ecological sanity. They embody the continuation of such a vision in a community of workers struggling on in the face of a mad and voracious world, hell-bent in every respect. I salute them and thank them for bringing me heart, and literal encouragement at a time when I for one really need it.

The future is not written!
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2010
My wife has been into this band for more years than she cares to remember but I had not really listened to them as much as I possibly should. (To keep the peace). This all changed when we recently saw them live on their Acoustic Tour. This is where we got this album. I can manage without more traditional folk usually but this superb album trancends such artificial and misleading boundaries. It is an instant classic without a weak note anywhere. An album penned by musicians that hits the right feelings everywhere. A joyous or maybe rich celebration musically and a thought provoking sound lyrically. As John Jones himself said that seems to be an Oysterband trademark. Joyful tunes and depressing lyrics was how he put it. Depressing this album certainly is not. Beautifully played, very tightly produced and exceptionally well written it is a remarkable listening experience and one that has converted me totally.
I must say however I still prefer the original Oysterband songs to the more traditional fare.
Well worth the buying and multiple listening. Oysterband have come of age, again perhaps.
on 3 January 2010
This is a brilliant CD from a hardworking band probably the best live act I`ve seen. I sent a copy to some American friends who had never heard of them and they loved it. It`s now their most played cd in their car. If you`ve never listened to Oysterband prepare for a treat.
on 29 November 2009
YES, and full five stars for that masterpiece.
All songs great and so i hope for german concerts in 2010 again.
on 14 May 2014
I bought this for my husband who says it's without doubt his favourite Oysterband album. Every track is a classic. Check out 'Here Comes The Flood', 'Walking Down The road With You' and the hard hitting 'Control'. This is folk music with not only a heart and soul but also a conscience!! You simply have to buy it!