Customer reviews

L.A. Woman [Expanded] [40th Anniversary Mixes]
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 May 2017
No need to say that every new sound that relate to this iconic album even if its of closing door during recordings will be great for The Doors fans and for any other Rock n' Roll lovers .
Anyway to be serious ...in this case we have a fantastic work done in order to give us the listeners great material and unreleased staff .
Its great option to hear Morrison and other band members improvised and chatting during sessions .
most recommended in my opinion
on 22 March 2017
Jim with his best pub singer drawl. It's The Doors. What's not to like?
on 8 May 2017
brilliant CD by the doors all tracks are excellent. do yourself a favor and get this. you'll be glad you did.
on 22 May 2017
One of my favourite albums. Pleasantly surprised to find it on
Amazon.
on 26 July 2017
Absolutely wonderful cd. Riders on the Storm is such an evocative piece. A must for every record collection
on 26 July 2013
I love The Doors and have all the LPs on vinyl and doubled up also on CD as well as other bits and bobs from the band. I bought this to add to my growing collection. This product would have been a 5* boxset if the box it's self wasn't made from very, very thin floppy easily damageable cardboard (another similar 7" set I have is a Oasis collection which has a much thicker box making it easy to store without the worry of damage). It's very flimsy and I can see it getting ripped or tattered very quickly. The records themselves are well produced in nice replica sleeves but for the money and the fact it's supposed to be a collectors piece you expect some better packaging to keep it in good condition. I'm not someone who buys to admire the product with no intention of opening or playing the contents and do play my records a lot but I still like to keep them in very good condition. The 7" records have no 45 rpm spindle adapter so make sure you have one at hand (again, could have stuck one in the box) my solution will probably be leaving the box on top of a record shelf so nothing can lean on it or remove the records and store with the rest of my loose singles.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 August 2017
Groovy was the first word that came into my head as I heard the first track begin as my stylus tickled the 180g vinyl. First impressions, however, were one of relief as I received my first LP from Amazon. The order asked me for an extra box of packaging for free. I thought this would be the usual square box thing but as you can see from my photos it seems to be made for LPs. The relief was enhanced when I saw the LP has the rounded corners I’d seen in hmv. Doubly enhanced by the record not being Mono. And topped again by the 180g vinyl sticker. All info. not clear on order page.

The WASP track is playing as I write. Instruments distinct and the bass sharp and forward. The compact disc version on Weird Scenes from the Goldmine left a little flat in comparison. Drums especially pronounced. And I had that compact disc transferred to a portable hard drive as a WAV file; beautiful music. The LP version for a HiFi treat. Four tracks from that double CD on this single LP. Real treat.

Hmv may have usurped Amazon with their Premium blu ray set but Big A strike back with the £21 price of this LP, £30 hmv and elsewhere. This LP is also another reason why they became 'albums' since the design of transparent Band photo, white embossed DOORS atop and fold-over yellow LP page make it something more to own than a record sleeve. A cultural artifact. God, Riders of the Storm playing as the tingles ride my arms. Sounded better in digital form, that storm effect with rock music more detailed via compact disc. What a final track from the man whose voice and poetry guided a generation away from the mess.

I wish LPs were cheaper to buy. 15 to 16 quid seems to be the average price. I know the 180g vinyl is a lot heavier than my record buying days 1978-1982 but between 7 and 8 pounds would have me looking harder and longer. The sound reproduction leaves CDs far, far behind when coming through standing speakers; I can actually see the speaker cones pulsating in and out with an LP but barely vibrating with the same music on CD. Ease of use, of course, is another tale.

I'll let L.A. Woman have the last word. The track itself is a rock'n'roll gem perhaps the volume is a little lower on the LP compared to the compact disc version, I know my knobs and buttons were set higher but only for this track. There are no fillers on this ten track LP. 'Been Down So Long' stood out for me first play. I think 'Love Her Madly' is the most modern track/hit single. All songs by The Doors. Amazon are censoring this review by refusing to stamp it Verified Purchase. This is Bad Boy music. Deadly.
review image review image review image review image
on 3 May 2017
Present for my husband. Arrived well in good time. We're both fans of The Doors so it's not surprising that we are very pleased with this product!

Certainly a departure from what direction the Doors had gone in before. Listening to it, even though it's undoubtedly a superb album, I do get a slight tinge of sadness at knowing this was Jim's final album before his death at the age of 27. Whether Jim would have continued in this direction, backtracked, thrown in the towel altogether or started something completely different will never be known now.

I recommend this album to any fan of the Doors or indeed anyone who appreciates blues music. Be prepared to feel quite sad for a talented poet/musician taken from us far too young, though.
on 5 July 2015
The obvious classic Doors album to pick is their debut because it contains such classic songs such as Break on Through to the other side,Light my Fire and the epic track The End.But this album which turned out to be their swansong following the death of Jim Morrison in 1971 is equally as good if not better.The title track alone is one of their finest songs and one of their sleaziest but we also get the bouncy Love her Madly and the classic closing track Riders on the Storm with its eerie funeral like keyboards courtesy of Ray Manzarek.A fitting epitaph to one of Americas greatest bands.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2008
The Doors' last album before Jim Morrison's death stands apart from their earlier releases. Grittier and bluesier, it isn't representative of what made them successful, but has its own aura. The cover shot shows a grizzlier, chunkier Morrison, no longer the budding sex god, and his vocal delivery is that of a more mature hell raiser. Two additional musicians on rhythm and bass guitars are also featured, so that Ray Manzarek's keyboards, though still prominent, are less dominant. The result is that the band sounds less different from other bands than before, but they also sound more fluid.

Blues forms the main thread to the album. There are three straight examples of the form, but there are, as usual, surprises. 'L'America' is the most uncomfortable listening and reveals that Morrison still possessed plenty of menace. 'Love Her Madly' is deliciously light and melodic, Manzarek's piano skipping along, as is 'Hyacinth House'. 'Changeling' provides an earthy opening, while the title track fairly bombs along, allowing each member to stretch out. This is one of the album's trump cards, but two more are left until the end. 'Texas Radio and The Big Beat' sees Morrison on mischievous form and it does indeed feature a big beat. The crowning achievement is of course 'Riders On The Storm,' a soundtrack for psychopaths everywhere, full of beautiful sounds and dark dramas. Possibly not to every fan's liking, 'LA Woman' is nevertheless a superb performance.