Customer reviews

Lord of the Ages
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 March 2017
Really pleased to find this on CD as my tape was wrecked. It certainly is different to most modern music and evokes memories of happier and more carefree times, at least to me. Cross between folk music and rock in part but very relaxing. Favorite track has to be the 9 minute long 'Lord of the Ages' which in my opinion is pure magic.
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2009
"The world would never change, you said -- but that was yesterday" go the lyrics in somg # 7. Well, the world has indeed changed, but thank goodness we can still buy the Magna Carta albums. These guys are just wonderful.

The long title track is simply superb: fantastic lyrics, amazing harmonies. Their style is accoustic, folksy, a bit different. Easy on the ear with lovely melodies and interesting lyrics. The band went through many changes in their line-up (check out Wikipedia for Magna Carta Music) but the one for this album is particularly effective. Hugely popular in the Netherlands, where I grew up and where I've seen them perform live a couple of times.
on 24 July 2010
I had this album on vinyl all those decades ago, enjoyed it, put it back amongst the racks of dusting lp sleeves and forgot about it. Fast forward to the CD age and I purchased Tomorrow never comes (an anthology of Magna Carta 1969 -2006). Inside the booklet on the first page there is a comment from Rick wakeman . "Lord of the Ages, arguably one of the greatest albums of its kind ever made". Memories came flooding back and I immediately sent for it to recall just how and why the wizard of the keys made that remark. This band turned folk music inside out with this production and brought about an album the likes of which had never been heard before.Listen to 'Wish it Was' a song about love and peace where children lie safe in bed and hate dies of starvation, fantastic lyrics. 'Father John' an epic piece about a man of the cloth believing a dream of love but no one cares or listens anymore. A masterpiece of Folk / Prog with thought provoking and highly inventive melodies, woven with intricate sweet music throughout. This is a very beautiful album bound with musical craftmanship, an artist could paint it. Roger Dean did!!
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 February 2014
What an album, cover by Roger Dean, the title track 'The Lord of the Ages', the very place where prof rock met science fantasy. I was amazed that this groups back catalogue was still available and that they were touring up until 2013. There is some excellent stuff available on their website, truly an iconic band from the sixties and seventies.
on 13 June 2015
First heard this in 1974 and thought what a load of pretentious hippy rubbish but the more I heard it the more I grew to like it and just had to get a copy. Magna Carta weren't that well know then , and are less so now though they did have a couple of commercial single hits, but I introduced my student mates to this album and they all took to it. Some even went on to buy other albums by the group but this was the one album we all appreciated.
I still like it just as much now, but just occasionally, for all I like it I can't help but think. even though it's the best track and why we bought it, the tittle track is a bit pretentious.
on 15 March 2014
Forgotten just how good this is, and how well crafted it is. I have this on vinyl and the re-mastered copy has lost nothing of the original.
on 1 February 2016
Arrived within time given. I bought the original vinyl many years ago, and had to update to a CD recently. Brilliant album.
on 28 February 2015
This is a nice album, but not quite up to the standards of the incomparable "Seasons" in my view. But you can tell they're from the same pen and guitar!!
on 21 October 2011
I love lord of the ages by Magna Carta. I like this cd very much, the additional plus for me is the art work on the cover by Roger Dean. I like the way Magna Carta have put this album together, very interesting listening and good lyrics.
on 21 April 2012
Lord of the Ages by Magna Carta was recorded ahead of its time. The music and lyrics are fabulous. I have the original vinyl and have always wanted the cd. You will never hear anything like this today.