on 15 January 2010
I was perusing the tinterweb looking for something a little different for the kids' joint christmas presents and suddenly thought of Peter and the Wolf. As they are 9 and 6 I thought they might like it (esp as the eldest is now learning Clarinet) and I was bang on the money.

They LOVED it.

The listened intently as it played through and showed great emotions from low (poor Duck) to high (the parade). It invoked soome great memories for me and my wife too as it has been, ahem, a while since I listened to it all the way through. It is now a firm favourite in the house.

The extras before and after are great too, the kids especially liked the introdution to the orchestra.

All round this is brilliant and at a great price to boot. If you are looking at it then you will know how good it is, buy it! Now!
on 16 June 2017
good good.
on 6 June 2017
It was as I expected
on 15 November 2016
Brought back lots of childhood memories
on 16 February 2013
My 6 yr old has the book and has been learning about peter and the wolf at school. He was really excited when it arrived and has been listening and talking about it. So I am happy.
on 25 October 2009
Like one of the previous reviewers, I had an LP of Richard baker narrating Peter and the Wolf when I was little. I later replaced it with a tape, that had the Young Persons' Guide on the other side, also narrated by Richard Baker. These are both excellent introductions to classical music, and appeal to children and adults alike.

This tape lasted me into middle-age, by which time it was a firm favourite with my children.

Sadly, all things must pass, and the tape made a not-very-graceful exit from our lives one day. In my search for a replacement, I was delighted to find this CD, that has both of my childhood favourites. I had never heard Possum's Cats before, but bought it anyway.

Peter and the Wolf and the Young Persons' Guide are as good as ever, and still remain firm favourites in our house. Having tried to get through Possum's Cats a few times, I (and the rest of the family) have come to the conclusion that it's really rather dull. That didn't stop me giving this CD five stars, and it's worth every penny for the two main pieces, and being on CD, you can just skip the boring cats ;-)

A great purchase for young and old.
33 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2015
Peter and the Wolf has enjoyed many recordings from many excellent narrators and orchestras. Though I am partial to Hermione Gingold's narration with Bohm and the Vienna Philharmonic, I am partial to this version with Richard Baker as the narrator. It may not be as prominent as Connery, Edna Everage or Sting, but for what it's worth it is an excellent purchase for anyone who wants a recording of this musical tale.

Baker's voice is clear and calming with its crisp and precise British diction. It draws young listeners into the action with no bells or whistles and matches the twists and turns of the story. It bears repeated listening for both children and their listening adults. He is well-partnered by Leppard and the New Philharmonia Orchestra. Though Leppard may be better known as a Baroque interpreter, he directs a sympathetic account of the score. I admit that it would have helped if the Wolf's entrance on the horns would have been more ominous and dangerous, but still Leppard conducts the score well. Baker and Leppard fare equally well in Britten's guide to the orchestra. I know that the original narration may be seen as dry, but Baker is sympathetic in his narration and Leppard spins out Britten's discourse well. In short, Baker makes an excellent narrator for these two guides to the orchestra. They make an excellent pairing and it helps that they were written within the same time frame.

When EMI reissued this coupling in its revamped Classics for Pleasure series in 2007, they added Rawsthorne's Practical Cats suite for narrator and orchestra. Rawsthorne composed musical accompaniments for six of T.S. Eliot's cat poems, which a narrator recites over the music. For many listeners who only know the famous Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, this Rawsthorne piece has a lot going for it and makes a perfect complement to anyone's existing recordings of the musical. It is nostalgic, understated and comparatively less hyperactive than the Lloyd Webber settings of the same poems. It offers a less well-known introduction to music and fills out the disc.

This is an excellent bargain and does what it says on the tin. Baker's rendition of the two guides to the orchestra hold up so well and I hope that young listeners will treasure this disc well into adulthood.
on 26 February 2013
My fault entirely,i bought it by mistake simply wanting a no commentry version of Mr Britten's work.

I find Richard Baker's commentary irritating and obtrusive,although i am a grumpy old man and not an eager 8 year old..
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2015
Fine until you get to TYPGttO at which point there are short (less than a second) silences between each track which completely disrupt the flow of the music. Unlikely just to be my copy so be aware.
on 11 February 2009
Purchased as Christmas pressies but perfect gift for any child as young as you like. The original score copied many times but in my opinion never bettered