VINE VOICEon 13 November 2007
Are You Afraid Of The Dark, was a children's horror/sci-fi series in the nineties. The stories were often based on urban legends, mythology, or short stores. The program evolved around a group of children who have formed a secret society and who gather around a camp fire late at night telling ghost stories. Are You Afraid Of The Dark was never gory or actually that frightening, but what it lacked there it made up with good story telling, good acting, and enjoyable plot twists, and to tell you the truth when I watched it as a child, the opening credits would be enough to scare me. Almost all the episodes in the series (which titles all start with 'The Tale Of...') were pretty good, and a joy to rewatch. There are a few lemons and a few episodes that I didn't enjoy but I guess that is to be expected. But my fravioute episodes would have to be "The Tale Of Laughing In The Dark," "The Tale Of The Pinball Wizard," and "The Tale Of Locker 22." I would have liked to seen some special features included, perhaps interviews, some deleted scenes never before broadcast or even something simple as there are none at all. But you do get a massive running time of 780 minutes (26 episodes) spread over the four discs which is more than enough to keep you entertained. Which for now at least is more than enough.

"I declare this meeting of the Midnight Society closed."
on 15 November 2009
My boyfriend bought me this last Christmas because I used to be crazy over it when it was on TV, and he got so tired of me banging on about how great it was he bought it for me to watch again!
It gets better with age, I promise. It's mature, funny, charming, sometimes scary (is that sad?!) and always leaves you feeling all nostalgic!
I love how it always starts with the kids sat around the Camp-Fire telling it as a scary story, then the episode really kicks in, you have to have this!
on 19 August 2011
Are You Afraid Of The Dark? was a Canadian TV horror show for kids that ran from 1991-96, it was about a group of early teens called "the midnight society" that would meet in the woods at midnight once a week and tell horror stories whilst sat around a fire. I was eight when the show first aired and thirteen when it ended, so I was probably part of the show's target audience when it first aired.

Series 1 & 2 is the first 26 episodes that were made, and although the majority of episodes are really good, there were a few stinkers. Almost all shows tend to have ups and downs in the early stages, and this show was no different. When they got it right, they produced some outstanding episodes that despite being a show aimed at kids, got them a pretty big adult following due to the excellent stories and great writing. Not very scary as to be expected in a children's show, but some episodes are pretty creepy and others actually almost brought a tear to the eye with sad endings.

The opening and closing scenes tended to be quite funny, and after time you almost felt part of the group sat around the fire with them. The members of the group all had their own distinct personalities and their stories reflected it, Gary for example would normally tell stories about magic. There were two recurring characters that would show up in different stories every once in a while, the owner of the Magic Mansion called Sardo (accent on the do), and the sinister and mysterious Dr. Vink (with a va-va-va). I was actually surprised how much I still enjoyed this show as a 26-year-old man, which is testament to how good a show this was, especially compared to the tripe aimed at the lowest common denominator that kids are given now.

The fact that series 1 & 2 are available together at such a low price is brilliant, as the show seems to be very hard to find in America with people spending up to $300 for individual series. I would have given it five stars but there were a couple of poor episodes where as series 3 & 4 was much more consistent without quite reaching the same heights, also no effort seems to have gone into giving us extras. It would have been nice to have a documentary with the members of the midnight society as adults, or some commentaries on the stand out episodes.

Are You Afraid Of The Dark? still holds up very well today, great for children and adults. Despite buying it mostly for nostalgic reasons, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the show. You can't go wrong at £8-12 for two series worth, and well worth getting just to show kids that once upon a time children's TV was actually good. Hopefully series 5 will get released, as it seems a shame to release four series and not the fifth and last of the original show. The show did run for another two series between 1999-2000, with a different cast. It never reached anywhere near the quality of 1-5, but did star a young Elisha Cuthbert as a midnight society member.
on 17 August 2016
Great Product & Great 2 Seasons. Can't Wait to Purchase Seasons 3 &4! Fun Nostalgic trip & Fun to have with my Goosebummps Collection. Wish they would release seasons 5, 6 & 7....little disappointed by that. BY THE WAY: For those who are curious the boxset is more or less the same as the Goosebumps collection one except there are only 4 discs in total covering the two seasons.

One Query: Finished the first disc and realised the opening creepy music was absent throughout that disc? Does it begin to add the music in future episodes or is it gone from the whole boxset as it would be disappointing?

I guess I shall soon find out but if I could get an answer now it would be helpful
on 8 January 2015
I bought this as I loved the show as a kid but I was a bit worried that it might not hold the same appeal now that I'm older. Upon first putting it on, I must admit, some of the acting was shockingly bad, but after an episode or two it became part of the appeal and charm of the show.
I haven't watched them all yet, but the stories are a bit hit and miss. The majority have been good so far though. I would say this is would be a good buy if you watched the show growing up and want a blast from the past! The theme music still creeps me out!
on 23 January 2010
I remember this from the CITV broadcast Are You Afraid of the Dark? is about a group of 6 kids who meet in woods and tell spooky tales.

The show isn't very scary but each tale is dramatised and some of the stories are very strange and sometimes funny it great show for a rainy day there is 10 hours of show on the four discs.

Seasons i & 2 each season has 13 stories all well acted and well told I have not finished watching the first 13 yet but am sure to get the last two seasons.

If you remember this great show it time to own the seasons on DVD so you don't have to rely on TV to re-run the series and it great entertainment for kids.
on 20 May 2014
Packaging was good ,as too the delivery.
If you have read or Sean and know of the famous five, this DVD is a tea age version, but with several ghostly stories, .
I was very surprised how much I and my family thoroughly enjoyed it
on 7 August 2008
"The tale of the dream machine" In that episode the audio is out of sync, other than that this is a great series to own.
on 3 March 2012
Watched this as a child so when I found it on here I was majorly excited !! Got here really quickly so watched it straight away !! Just as I remember it but a lot less scary haha :) but still soooo good !!! :)
Would reccommend :) !!!
on 14 February 2016
Came today earlier then expected :) used to watch as a kid so got it for my daughter's birthday as she's around same age I was when I started watching it and she's into 'scary' stuff.. Very good buy and I'm very excited to watch these