on 4 April 2016
As others have said, buy a size larger. My regular shoe size (9) was too small with these shoes. Based on trying a size 9 in a shop and it being too small (and a 10 not being in stock), and based on reviews on Amazon saying to buy a size larger, I did, and the size 10 fits me perfectly.
I also had to use some carpet tape to stick the foam insole in place as they kept slipping towards the front of the shoe whilst I was being worn. (this is the foam insole that forms the part of the shoe where your foot sits, they are part of the shoe design).
I do find my feet get fairly sweaty inside these if I wear them indoors for long periods.
They are extremely comfortable, but I have found that the fabric can rub the top of my big toe if I have the laces tied up too tight - it pulls in the fabric at the toe end of the shoe too much.
The outer soles swing between having loads of grip, and none at all. They seem to lose grip almost completely on surfaces that are wet and/or have a damp layer of organic material on them. Not all wet/damp surfaces prove slippery in these shoes though, so it's easy to be taken by surprise. I've very nearly slipped over several times whilst wearing these outdoors.
on 4 September 2016
Very comfortable, inner soles move around a bit, but not a big issue.

Update
I've had this pair now exactly one year and they are amazing! In my initial review I mentioned that the inner soles were moving around, but replaced them with different hiking shoe inner soles, so no problem. I do that often with other shoes so in my eyes not an issue. Been wearing them on all my travels and have been wearing this particular pair more often than all my other shoes combined. Vibram soles give excellent grip and synthetic build prevents feet from getting hot and sweaty. Been travelling around Russia and Eastern Siberia during winter and all you have to do is wear a good pair of winter socks and worked fine in the snow. They also joined me on my Great Wall of China trip and was perfect. Gravel, boulders, paving, carpet, handles all the terrain I use it on, wet or dry.
review imagereview image
on 29 May 2017
These are my third pair so that should indicate something!
I made the last pair last nearly 7 years and by the end they were still serviceable but looking a bit sorry for themselves and had developed a apologetic squeak of protest.
Like other reviewers I found that I need a slightly larger size than my normal 8 but rather take jump to the next full fitting went for the half size and this has proved ok.
They are not waterproof and I have found the fabric does wear across the top at the toe/ foot bends but although unsightly this doesn't detract from the performance.
The new pair have molded to my feet after about three brief sessions and a good walk and I'd be happy to recommend them to anyone.
on 2 July 2017
I've been a die-hard wearer of the Merrell Intercept for a good few years now, had numerous pairs (different colours) and can honestly say I've never worn a more comfortable, hard wearing shoe straight out of the box, I was on the verge of purchasing yet another pair until I spotted the Chameleon Wrap on offer here (under £40), at that price along side the rugged look of the shoe tempted me to try a new style of Merrell, and on arrival I was not disappointed, a great looking well built shoe without a doubt, and straight out of the box and on your feet felt like an old worn in pair of ya favourite footwear, comfort from the off must be a speciality of Merrell, like the Intercept, the Chameleon Wrap feel great, after a full day out and about across various terrain, I could not rate these any higher, a great shoe to see you through all kinds of ups and downs, only thing I would highly recommend if you have never wore Merrell branded footwear before is to choose a half size bigger than your normal size, where I'm a UK 9, in a Merrell I would always go a UK 9.5 for that perfect fit.
review image
on 24 November 2017
Following reviews I ordered a size and a half up from usual. This is quite comfortable but spacious enough for thick socks or thick insoles which is ideal, I've put some thick sheepskin insoles in, my feet love me right now! This is very rare. I had a pair of these before, best walking shoes I ever had for touch cobbles and urban walking on hard pavements dog walking. That pair I wore solid for 2 or 3 years and the only reason I had to chuck them was the inner heel lining wore right through so I'm going to reinforce with a suede heel grip this time round I think. Other than that they hardly even showed any signs of wear to uppers or soles. Really sturdy shoes with brilliant arch support and well padded for comfort. I'd like these in boot form if they made them as I have a weak ankle from a severe sprain years ago that still bothers me, but they do fit nicely round the ankle. I also have a wide foot and a high instep which makes shoe shopping really tiresome, but the fit on these is great, flexible, hugely adjustable and great traction. Love it. Thank you!
on 8 June 2017
These are brilliant hiking shoes. I'd never owned Merrell shoes before so I wanted to see what the hype was about. They are very comfortable and provide you with excellent foot support and protection whenever they touch the ground. When you put them on your feet, you can immediately see it's a very finely crafted and designed shoe.

They also look great and, at this price point, I don't think there are better sports/hiking shoes. I've owned far worse shoes of this type for just about the same price. Like most people, I bought the shoes one size above my usual number and they fit perfectly. Definitely recommended.
on 21 January 2018
Well shaped, very comfortable. Rubber outsole and dark green nylon shell are durable.

BUT:
1. 2D Insole is not anti-odor, foam collapse after a couple of months.
2. The grey mesh in the upper can't hold any scratches, broke after a few rubs.
3. Inner layer underneath grey meshes is as weak as paper.

Built for comfort, but well below average life expectancy, bad value for money.

Merrell's website says to contact seller for warranty claim, and the seller Millets Sport did not respond to my enquiry. Terrible services.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 December 2017
I had a pair of these before, which lasted for a long time despite almost daily use. When they finally needed replacing, I bought a pair of Merrell Moab's & once they also wore out, tried another Merrell model. While these both performed well, neither were a durable & long-lasting as the Chameleon, so I eventually bought a second pair.

Compared with the other Merrell's, the Chameleon's soles are noticeably thicker & more solid. They are solidly constructed, with fewer areas for the different sections or seams to separate. While I found all three of the Merrell shoes to be hard-wearing, these are superior to the the others. However, they are as a result much chunkier than the others, so may not suit everyones' needs.

As well as being solid, they are also very comfortable. Personally, I would like for them to come in a brown colour but I value utility over looks, so it doesn't bother me very much.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 January 2018
Bit of a strange one this, comfortable, but the tongue is held in place by a wide cloth elastic band that is secured near the sole of the shoe, so there’s a elastic band wrapping around your foot in the middle, meaning your foot is lightly squeezed when wearing the shoe. You may like this, however I found it tiresome and restrictive after about 10 minutes and I had the urge to take hem off. Give it a proper test if you buy these, and of course all merrells are 1/2 size too small so buy a slightly bigger pair
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 May 2016
Great shoes at a good price. You get what you pay for and these are quality. Regarding sizes-I was confused by the different suggestions regarding Merril shoes, and the need to go up a size, so here's mine! Though I am normally a 9, I have narrow feet so I went for a 9.5 and that worked. I think if you have wide feet a 10 might be better. Hope that helps!