on 6 June 2015
Now That’s What I Call Music 11 entered musical history in 2011. Popjustice creator Peter Robinson nominated it for The Guardian’s My Favourite Album column. Hipsters and chinstrokers seethed, complained, got angry and bawled into their Slint records. I thought it was a brilliantly brave choice.

Like the last Hits album, Now 11 starts with a 1-2 punch of two chart-toppers. The Pet Shop Boys took Always On My Mind to number on 19 December 1987. A grandiose and epic slice of imperial pop. The video takes the form of an excerpt from It Couldn’t Happen Here. Neil and Chris sit in the front of a taxi; a rather strange passenger gets in – played by Joss Ackland. He stays in the cab for the duration of the song and then alights. The car drives away. He mutters to himself:
“You went away. It should make me feel better. But I don’t know how I’m going to get through”.

Always On Mind was deposed by Heaven Is A Place On Earth. Killer guitar. Former Go-Gos singer Belinda Carlisle was my dream pin-up in 1988. This was her first UK hit and many more memorable 45s would follow. Billy Ocean tore down the walls and motored to #3 with the jovial Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car. There’s a dip in quality with the watery Say It Again from Jermaine Stewart while Eddy Grant’s well-meaning anti-apartheid number Gimme Hope Jo’anna grates more than it thrills. This season’s oldie as brought to you by Levis is from Eddie Cochran – C’mon Everybody – does not outstay its welcome. The sleevenotes proudly state that “it’s the shortest track to ever appear on any Now album”. Morrissey’s first solo single is next – the sublime Suedehead before the live-in-Australia version of Elton John’s Candle In The Wind. During 1988, the Prince and Princess of Wales visited Thailand and also toured Australia for the bicentenary celebrations.

Like the previous volume, the second half of disc 1 [or side 2 of the double LP] comes with a rock flavour. Wet Wet Wet make it three out of three with the silky Angel Eyes while Johnny Hates Jazz turn on the misery with the mournful Turn Back The Clock. T’Pau’s Valentine is equally self-indulgent but also great in a marvellous overwrought way. So sickened now. Billy Idol and Whitesnake reprise their roles from Now 10 with the bleach-rock of Hot In The City and Give Me All Your Love. Late 1987 also saw the arrival of Sinéad O’Connor. Mandinka was her first breakthrough – a spiky tour-de-force – but make sure to check out the debut single Troy. The goths get a tune too; the earthy Tower Of Strength from The Mission.

Disc 2: Pop. I Should Be So Lucky. Exquisite. The third and final number one to appear here. Kylie would not feature again until Step Back In Time [Now 18]. She would go on to to release nine 45s during that period.
Non-album single time: That’s The Way It Is by Mel and Kim. A grower not a shower and an anthem for Dublin ticket touts. And there’s another SAW tune – Bananarama’s slowly rising star I Can’t Help It. A maturity beyond their years and Siobhan’s swansong. In between this joy is Jellybean ably assisted by Elisa Florillo on Who Found Who.

Oh look! here’s Joyce Sims and the confident strut of Come Into My Life. Slick, rhythmic and blue. Follow the money as Dollar give us a competent cover of Erasure’s Oh L’Amour. It’s no Videotheque. Very few foreign language Euro songs hit the mark in the UK and Ireland. Joe Le Taxi was an exception and still stops me in my tracks. The song emphasises the notion that Joe seems is an expert on Paris including knowing the whereabouts of all the little bars, all of the streets, the Seine, and the bridges. Some record for a 14 year old. Then comedy record time: Stutter Rap (No Sleep Til Bedtime) by Morris Minor and The Majors. Splendid Beastie Boys parody. No need for shouting.

I didn’t buy the CD version of Now 11 until early May 1988. Between the release date [21 March] and then, I made do with a vinyl copy from our school’s music library. Nobody missed it. So I gorged myself on house all through Easter. Side 4: The pinnacle of Now. The house side.
It starts with a bomb. An incendiary studio production from Tim Simenon. Samples include Afrika Bambaataa, James Brown, dialogue from Car 54, Where Are You?, EPMD, Hashim, Kurtis Blow, the theme from Dragnet, Prince and Public Enemy. Say Kids, What Time Is It? and Beats and Pieces were two early Coldcut 12's that I enjoyed; Doctorin’ The House stayed true to its title – a buoyant beat-filled tune sung by Yazz and The Plastic Population. Ones to watch.

House Arrest is brought to you by Krush. Super. Bug on out. Play on headphones; then on a ghettoblaster. A party starter. Looking for that perfect beat? Try Jack ‘N’ Chill. The Jack That House Built and its shadowy dancers video. A superb slice of out-of-your-nut acid. The fourth successive tune with the word “house” in the title is Rok Da House from the Beatmasters and featuring Cookie Crew. That’s hip house with some deadly piano. A pair of leftfield choices to end but both keep the vibe alive. Two Men [from Fine Young Cannibals] A Drum Machine And A Trumpet make for a wicked combination. And we end with Climie Fisher and Rise To The Occasion. It’s not the regular 7' though – we get the hip hop mix with loads of funky bits. A perfect sign-off.
“Your whole world is tumbling down, can’t get your feet on solid ground”.

And the music plays forever.
on 25 June 2014
Brought back some good memories...as music should. This album was played at our school disco, great!

I really enjoyed the old acid house tracks on CD2.

Sound quality is clear however it is a bit bright and lacks bass. Well it was made in 1988 and this is I guess another cheaply made compilation album.
on 12 August 2011

A1 Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
A2 Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth
A3 Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car
A4 Jermaine Stewart - Say It Again
A5 Eddy Grant - Gimme Hope Jo'Anna
A6 Eddie Cochran - C'Mon Everybody
A7 Morrissey - Suedehead
A8 Elton John - Candle In The Wind (Live)
B1 Wet Wet Wet - Angel Eyes (Home And Away)
B2 Johnny Hates Jazz - Turn Back The Clock
C4 Jellybean - Who Found Who
C5 Bananarama - I Can't Help It
C6 Dollar - O L'Amour
C7 Vanessa Paradis - Joe Le Taxi
C8 Morris Minor And The Majors - Stutter Rap (No Sleep Til Bedtime)
D1 Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis
D2 Coldcut - Doctorin' The House
D3 Krush - House Arrest
D4 Jack 'N' Chill - The Jack That House Built
D5 Beatmasters, The - Rok Da House
D6 2 Men A Drum Machine And A Trumpet - Tired Of Getting Pushed Around
D7 Climie Fisher - Rise To The Occasion (Hip Hop Mix)
on 24 December 2014
Loved this CD. I bought it years after its release in order to fill gaps in my Now collection. Really glad I bought it as it has many great tracks which brought back good memories. I bought the CD second-hand and its condition was described as used - very good. I found the CD to be exactly as described by the seller. The CD was rather pricy at getting in for £20 what with postage and packaging, but I guess that is the penalty collectors must endure for not buying the Now CDs as and when they are released. I was glad I bought the CD though and would recommend it to others.
on 24 October 2013
Fabulous CD, I have this on vinyl, though don't have anything to play it on at the moment, so great to hear these tracks again. Been on constant play by both me and my partner since it arrived, the fact that it was in the original fat box that the Now CD's were produced in was a bonus. Favourite tracks would probably be the early house records that fill side 4 of the vinyl, but no bad tracks across the album, although Morris Minor & the Majors will probably be continuously skipped soon ! Having collected all the Now series since the early days I now have only a few of the early ones left to get, this rates far better than the current albums
on 18 March 2018
Very good
on 27 April 2017
I love the NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! range, please, I would like more, UK versions
on 1 October 2017
good condition.
on 3 January 2017
The CD is from the late 1980's but was in excellent condition. It was an ideal present.
on 9 July 2017