Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Wincing The Night Away
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 January 2013
I bought this album after reading some good reviews and after a few listens I only liked a couple of songs. But after a couple more listens the rest really began to shine through. I love the unusual lyrics which I am forever trying to work out and the songs are so melodic I find myself singing and dancing to them without even noticing. My favourites are Sleeping Lessons, Phantom Limb,Turn On Me and Spilt Needles.
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2006
2007 is only a week away, but does anybody have any idea about what's in store for all of us? The Shins could give us a better idea. "Wincing The Night Away" comes out in 2007, but most people have heard the leaked version of the album, but I've been lucky to hear it in all of it's stereo delight, and my oh my, it's impressive.

Lyrically, it's a pleasure from start to finish, with "Sleeping Lessons" murmuring the genius words, " Eviscerate your fragile frame/ And spill it out in the ragged floor" to the closer "A Comet Appears" joying the listener with the wonderful words, "And still to come/ The worst part and you know it/There is a numbness/In your heart and it's growing". The Shins weren't a part of my musical life one little bit last year and this year, but things are going to change in 2007, if you haven't heard their two earlier records, "Wincing The Night Away" encourages you to do so. It opens doors to more records as well as more genres. This album sounds like a work of The Beatles sometimes, and sometimes it sounds like an album produced by Timbaland, but everything in this record works. Originality is at its best in these 12 tracks, The Shins know they're being different, and they know they're doing it so, so well.

"Phantom Limb"'s basic chords gradually impress more and more after each play and you'll be humming to the outro in no time. For all it's worth, "Wincing The Night Away" could go down as one of the best records of 2007, and it's only just less than 12 months away until everybody chooses their records of the year.

"Sea Legs" mixes R&B drum beats with almost Asian vocals to produce a heart throbbing 5 minute stunner, almost the highlight of the album. Lyrics are once again a high point, "'Cause when the dead moon/Rises again/We've no time to start a protocol/To have us in."

But the song that sums this dream holiday, this beautiful human being, this incredible record, is "Australia". The second track on the album is the most feel good song of the generation, there are squelches of delight, the pre-chorus of all pre-chorus', it's like a perfect dream that doesn't make sense, but makes you smile while sleeping, glorious.

"Wincing The Night Away" is a record that will hopefully sum up everybody's year, it's the happiest, most zany, most delightful thing I've heard in years and it's dare I say it, one of the albums of 2007.
on 26 June 2013
The CD arrived and it looks as good as new, with even the bumper sticker still fresh inside. Haven't played it yet but I know the album from my Spotify collection. For some reason a few tracks stopped being accessible (even on Premium), so I decided to buy the physical album. Sometimes you just have to touch the band....
on 29 December 2006
If there is any justice, this album should go down in history as one of the ebst albums ever made. Its brilliantly constructed, every track has somehting special and worth remembering within it and it is just simpy the bands best work to date. Before eharing this I listerned to Chutes too narrow, to death. I love that CD, its so great, but Wincing is better. Its got an underater feel and the tracks all sound like they were recorded in a huge sub atlantic tank. There are alot more computer gentic sounds in this album than prvious music by the shins, but its very apporpriate.

Compared to the last two albums this one feels like a comprimise of the two, you can here themes from the privious albums popping up, nly together they are better. Great Bass lines, Drum work and the lyrics are the best they've done.

There are no words to discribe how I feel about this music!
on 8 September 2007
This CD sat by my player unlistened for 2 months before I heard a track from it on 6 Music and decided to give it a whirl. What a find! 11 tracks in all, the juice is pretty much contained in the first 7 though. This is collection of (at least 7) well crafted, thought provoking guitar ditties. Track 7, Turn on me, has affected me like no other song since the Killers' "All these Things". It is quite simply an inspiring song about a break up. "Affections fade away, adults start to play the most ridiculous, repulsive games..." The lyrics are sometimes hard to hear but further investigation reveals a tightly woven labyrinth of emotional dilemmas and throw away pithy comments. This is a great album, the songs are enjoyable, sun-kissed ballads I would say. Not one for those like it hard and fast but a memorable stroll around relationships and the human condition.
on 3 December 2007
I thought their last album 'chutes' was great but this was a step in a more dance / beats direction. I had already read a couple of very good reviews before unleashing this in my stereo. I have to say it's completely brilliant. Every song on this album has an instant likeability to it. The singers voice and words are so spot on you cant help but lavish in the beauty and effervescence of the songs. Stick this on after you've had a bad day at the office and you'll soon be back in the zone. Standout tracks: australia, red rabbits
on 7 February 2008
clealry one of the highlights of 2007 this band go from strength to strength. beautiful sing along indie pop with standout tracks Phantom Limb and Sealegs approaching perfection.
on 29 January 2007
After the quirky jangly pop of their debut "Oh, Inverted World" and the stripped back acoustic joy of 2003's "Chutes Too Narrow" The Shins have created what can only be described as pure musical heaven.

Moving their sound on, "Whincing The Night Away" is the bands most experimental album yet. Hip Hop beats, touches of psychadelia and synths accompany 11 wonderful tunes but still remain the Beach Boy esque harmonies, killer melodies and James Mercer's beautifully surreal lyrics.

Opening track "Sleeping Lessons" wafts in on a wave of delicate keyboards and hushed vocals before exploding half way through into a crescendo of guitars. The albums first single "Phantom Limb" shimmers along with skyscraping emotion and those great summery harmonies. Other stand outs are the strange "Sealegs" with its Beta Band esque hip hop beat and the gorgeous acoustic ballad "Red Rabbit"

At the end of this year this album will undoubtably be in every Best of 2007 poll around. Its an album of unmatched craft and beauty and deserves all the praise it gets.
on 18 March 2007
I didn't get into the shins really until last year, when, as most of their new fans were told, i expected them to "change my life."

Guess what.

They did.

This album is frankly incredible. Like the first 2 albums, it took me a listen or two to truly appreciate it's greatness but there is no doubting the amazing achievment that James mercer and co have come up with on this new album.

The lyrics firstly, are very complex and metaphoric, which, as I have found, means that you can make your own meanings. It feels as if the songs are written for you and you only and they are sung with such a passion and in such a unique voice that each and every listen makes it more special.

No, there isn;t another new slang here but they sure all hell come close with songs like Australia, Sleeping lessons and Black wave.

There are songs here as well, such as 'a comet appears' which my have you in tears if you take thier lyircs to heart.

A monumental achievement that should be in everyones record collection.
on 26 April 2013
i had never listened to the shins until i saw them on TV on from the basement - they are now my favourite band, excellent songs, give them try