on 16 May 2009
I recently purchased the Delta 40, partly on the basis of the generally positive reviews and partly because I wanted to avoid cordless telephone answering machines. It may be that I received a one off ' rogue' machine, but the quality of the incoming messages was very variable and sometimes so poor that I had to listen several times to get the message. Also when setting up the speaking clock sounds as if she is saying 'em' rather than 'pm'. Initially I thought it was a distortion of 'am' and I rang the manufacturers, who conceded it wasn't clear. The plus side was that I had to ring the manufacturers twice and on each occasion they were very helpful. I ended up returning the product and even though it was out of the 30day limit, there was no quibble and Amazon returns system was very easy.
on 11 January 2008
A great buy!

We wanted an answering machine that would enable us to record and change greetings easily, as necessary. The Delta 40 allows you to record (and easily switch between) two personalised messages, as well as its pre-recorded greetings.

It's very easy to use. If you wish, you can ask callers to leave a message in one of four mailboxes (they simply press the appropriate number key). Mailboxes have an LED to show when there are messages.

It looks good too!
on 10 November 2009
This answering machine as I mention in the title is reasonable. Its very easy to use and has good functionality such as the mailbox feature and being able to store two different messages. As far as I can tell, you can't turn the speaker off unless someone is in the process of leaving a message, in which case pressing the - volume button does let you mute it for that incoming message.

Like other reviewers have mentioned, the recording quality isn't great so be prepared to listen to a message a couple of times.

The machine suffices for use in the home. Ultimately not a bad product, but I'd see what else is available for a similar price.
on 4 October 2010
I bought this rather than pay every month to my phone supplier for 1571/voicemail & across 1 year this machine would pay for itself as a business answerphone.

I got my husband to set it up because I don't have the patience but I could have done it easily - he did it in 3 minutes. Setting the message, listening to it, the audibility, size etc is all excellent - and we don't even need the two voicemail boxes function. There is simply nothing to fault with it.

I would absolutely recommend it and the Amazon price was by far the best online at the time.
on 7 September 2009
Looks great, great feature list, but messages left on it are barely decipherable and it sounds very poor quality when it responds to calls: not great if you are trying to give a professional impression to the world!
Wish we'd never got rid of the excellent sound quality old fashioned tape playing/recording answer machine that we had: at least you could hear back the phone numbers that people left on the answer machine with that one - which is not always the case with this one. If you like form over function then go for it; if you want quality forget it.
on 24 June 2010
Like several others, I bought a Delta 40 on the basis of several good reviews. I now regret that decision. Yes, there are some unusual features including it being battery free. Unfortunately, during a power cut it will lose some of its settings. Messages are stored through short power cuts, but I don't know what happens in a more serious situation.

The quality of message playback is poor, some messges being inaudible. A BT Response 75 is MUCH better in this respect.

It doesn't seem to be fully compatible with a fax/telephone machine. Using it with a G3 machine works ok if incoming faxes are from another G3. Unfortunately, Super G3 faxes do not get through to a receiving G3 machine - the answerphone intercepts instead. Again, a BT Response 75 works perfectly with a G3 fax, irrespective of what type of machine transmits to it.

Don't bother emailing for technical support, you will not get a reply! I tried twice.

A poor purchase that doesn't solve my problems and a manufacturer that doesn't seem commited to customer service. I will either buy another BT Response 75 or put up with the Delta 40 until my fax needs replacing in the next year or so, when I shall look for a machine with telephone and inbuilt answerphone. There is at least one on the market.
on 10 September 2009
Pleased with this replacement for an old cassette machine. Easy set up, useful options easily accessed; messages clear to hear and remain available to recheck until cancelled. Only niggle is the brightness of the central red display - no standby mode. Sold by the maker - sent promptly and efficiently. A simple, stand-alone answering machine.
on 9 October 2008
This is a neat little machine and great value.
My only negative warning is that even with volume turned fully down to minimum you still hear messages being left. I'm thinking of installing a switch - bang goes any warranty!
on 16 August 2013
I read the reviews for this and was uncertain whether to buy it or not. It's a fab little answerphone and fits what we need perfectly! My original review...... less than three years later and it no longer works so now looking for a new answer machine. If you want something that lasts I'd go for another machine!
on 26 July 2009
Bought this to provide a land line answering capability when I replaced my old phone system with a dual Skype-land line setup. Plugged straight into the phone socket on the wall with no phone attached - seems to work just fine. Easy to set up, it records messages and plays 'em back. My requirements are unsophisticated so I don't use facilities like the multiple mailboxes, but good to know it's there. Nice design too.