Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 9 November 2007
Frank Turner is brilliant, and his album is thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyable. If you read his Myspace page, it explains that after Million Dead, he decided to look at the other end of his musical influences - folk and country - and to try to show people that it's possible to be a singer-songwriter without sounding like James Blunt. I must say he does it with great success.

Sleep Is For The Week is an album about being a man in his 20s, trying to make a living as a musician in London, written with a real sense of poetry and a good deal of wit. And whilst Turner's voice doesn't have any extraordinary qualities - by that I mean it doesn't necessarily have any instantly recognisable qualities - his range is very impressive (as I discovered when I tried to sing one or two of the songs), and his lilting melodies are infectious.

The highlights for me are the opening and closing tracks. The Real Damage is an ode to partying in London - the classic instance of emerging from a house and searching for bus stops or landmarks - and bounces along with a twist at the end. The Ballad of Me and My Friends is an apparently live recording about the problems and benefits of the London music scene. And both have more than their fair share of feeling and of wit.

Turner is an observational lyricist, and one who sings with such heartfelt sincerity that it'll send shivers down your spine. The album, with only a couple of instances involving anything like a full band, leaves his songs exposed. They in turn, seem to expose a lot of Turner's inner thoughts. Those things together make for a remarkable album, and one I can't recommend highly enough.
on 20 January 2007
If like me you bought the previous EP 'campfire punkrock' because 'that bloke from Million Dead has made a folk album', you will expect 'sleep is for the week' to be brilliant. You wont be disappointed. I have been listening to this album non stop. The lyrics are intelligent and relevant, and I find Frank Turner's voice moving. I was sorry that Million Dead are no more, but albums like this one go a long way towards making up for it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 August 2015
Frank Turner has admitted that his debut solo album is practically a snapshot of a year in his own life, and as 'Sleep Is For The Week' tells the story of a young man in his mid twenties, who is trying to make a living as a musician in London, this was always fairly obvious.

Although this isn't my favourite solo album of Frank's, it's a fairly solid debut which becomes quickly infectious. It has a very raw sound, those trademark well-written songs that are soring with honesty and emotion, and are always sung with the utmost sincerity. You can tell that Frank has clearly lived these words, detailing the ups and downs of life, and things that most of us can also relate to. Wisdom has clearly been gained from his bad experiences though, and because of this, often the lyrics are witty and amusing. My favourites are the excellent, candid breakup song 'Worst Things Happen At Sea', the charming 'Back in the Day', and the opening track 'The Real Damage', about the aftermath of a night drinking with his friends, which really hit home to me.

If 'Sleep Is For The Week' had been the first Frank Turner CD that I had bought, it would have encouraged me to seek out the others, and I think it will have the same impact on other people. This is a very personal, straight-from-the-heart album, and a strong sign that a new star had arrived in 2007, I believe that Frank Turner has the ability to become huge, and he truly deserves to. He has worked so hard to get where he is today, and has talent in abundance. Buy 'Sleep Is For The Week', it's contemporary folk-rock music at it's most addictive.
on 28 January 2007
There is a chord struck by albums that just about does it for you. Totally. Utterly. Holding you to a post and without mercy kicks you in the shins... Or the heart.. Or some other unmentionable part of the body. This album does it.. gently... just about.

For me the above describes 'Six' by (that often forgotten band of genius) Mansun, or 'urban hymns' by The Verve or even that first coldplay album that they seems to me that they are attempting to forget; and along with them, goes (in no order of hierarchy) this album in a more raw and generally different way.

From beginning to end, it will make you think, of yourself, who you are, how you act and where you have been to an extent that I have never known. Musically it is the beginnings to something great, hopefully (touch wood) a legend in the making.

Ok, Ok! I haven't spoken much about the actual songs etc. So I will. They are about sex, love, life and YOU! ...or is that youth(lost, gained, held?) ? Enough? Na. Just buy it why don't you?
on 31 August 2007
It's difficult to tell whether Frank Turner's switch from the hardcore of his previous band Million Dead to his new folk style is a fleeting change of direction or one he's going to stick with, but on the evidence of this, his debut solo album, I'd suggest it's the latter. Most of Sleep Is For The Week's best moments come from the introspection of songs like "A Decent Cup Of Tea" or the brilliant break up song "Worst Things Happen At Sea". Much has been made of Turner's political songwriting, and Once We Were anarchists deals with political apathy brilliantly, but it's the moments when Turner reveals more about himself like on the brilliant "Father's Day" that he really shows his strengths as a songwriter. There are a few tracks that don't quite hit the mark, but as a debut, it's promising stuff.
on 18 April 2007
I should preface this by saying that I've never heard anything by Million Dead and was completely unaware of Frank Turner until I heard the Campfire Punk Rock EP. As a fan of folk, punk, folk-punk and anything in between, I had pretty high hopes for this record, especially as I was impressed by the "London city-boy folk" of the EP. In comparison, this record is a little disappointing. Only "Father's Day" really stands out as an all-round well-crafted song and there's little by way of socio-political commentary like "Thatcher F**ked the Kids" on here. My other problem with Mr Turner is that the life experiences, captured in his songs, aren't necessarily the most interesting or engaging. There's a song about waking up after a drunk night out and catching the bus home, a song about fancying a girl who sees him as a harmless confidant and several songs about how tough it is when he "accidentally" keeps sleeping with lots of women. I suppose it works as a glimpse into the diary of a middle class white suburbanite musician, but (sorry Frank) they're not necessarily the most interesting people!

On the plus side, there are some nice up tempo numbers on here and, personally, I find the couple of songs about growing up a young punk more engaging than the "woe is me" love ballads. I should also point out that I'm being quite harsh on this record, but I am glad I bought it and it is better and more "human" than a huge amount of other songwritery stuff out there at the moment. Frank Turner comes across as a generally likeable and thoughtful songwriter but I think the material could do with tightening up a little bit.
on 9 May 2007
I must confess,I had never heard of him until,for lack of entertaniment one Saturday night,went along to a local venue to watch him perform.After that I bought this record and was incredibly impressed by the mans talent.The lyrics came be a bit tame and predictable in places but overall,I found it a great listen. you must listen to the incredibly angry record FATHERS DAY. wont say anything about it but suffice to say, he wasnt too keen on his dads attitude with his wife
on 19 May 2010
love frank turner!!!
i bought all of his albums at once after listening to his music for quite a while. i wasnt let down by any of them, but love, ire and song was my fave and i wasnt so keen on this one. feel guilty saying anything nasty about his music tho, cos he's such a good songwriter. definately worth the buy.
on 21 March 2014
I'm unsure as to whether the three albums that I ordered were dispatched on the same day like I had been told but they all arrived on three separate days in around the space of one or two week. This was no real issue, I had just envisioned them arriving together. The packaging for my three CDs was just a standard package with bubble wrap inside instead of the other packages designed especially for CDs, though no damage seemed to be done to the CDs. One of the CDs had a small rip in the side, but as I had bought it second hand and the CD itself was intact I had no concerns with this. Overall a good buy and I would recommend it.
on 6 March 2013
This is full of good songs, some semi political and some humorous, some very serious. A good range. If your interested in him, look into Billy Bragg also.