VINE VOICEon 13 December 2013
Size: 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This review comes courtesy of my husband, who's a runner and athletics coach.

ThermaCare heat wraps provide direct, therapeutic heat to muscle tissue. As with any heat therapy, however, the heat pads should never to be applied to areas of bruising or broken skin.

The main advantage of these heat wraps is that, as they are adhesive, they do not restrict mobility, in that you can apply them and continue to move around or, they claim, even take exercise. Any exercise that works up a sweat will however reduce the effectiveness of the adhesive and the wrap will come off - so don't try using them while out running or doing a gym session.

They provide heat for up to 16 hours. But why do they claim this when they also advise buyers not to use them "for more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period"?

I am also puzzled by the advice on the packet that, "if you are 55 or older, wear ThermaCare over a layer of clothing and do not wear while sleeping". There is no explanation, or obvious reason, for this. As far as not wearing these wraps when sleeping is concerned, this advice should apply to all users. The ThermaCare website provides no further information on this, whilst on another website I found the following explanation - "Your risk of burning increases as you age". That may be true, but why the 55 cut-off? If the product is too hot, remove it, or follow the advice to use it over a layer of clothing - however old you are.

You can of course apply heat treatment to muscular aches and pains in much cheaper ways - a hot water bottle being by far the easiest. You can also get reusable gel packs that can be heated in a microwave or frozen, to provide an ice pack.

In summary, ThermaCare is a useful standby for some muscular pain, but not a "must have" product.
on 4 October 2012
I could not be more impressed with these heat pads! I'm using them to soothe a muscle injury just below the shoulder blade. I find them the perfect size and shape to fit around the shoulder blade, and they really do stay warm for 12 hours (longest I've worn them so far is 10 hours). Also they are so comfortable to wear you can literally put them on under your clothes and go to work or whatever you want to.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 December 2013
Size: 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For a while I've been experiencing pain in my right forearm (subsequently found to be tennis elbow) but before getting a proper strap for support I experimented with using an MP3 player's armband around the area of pain, which was actually of some use. So I then tried using one of these heat wraps, even though it's not designed for the forearm as it only has strong adhesive in about 1.5" long areas at the ends of the wings, and held it in place with the armband and was surprised that the generated heat genuinely lasted for around 12 hours and it gave some extra comfort. The pad seems to start slowly heating up as soon as it's removed from its packaging, however, at best I would only describe the heat as warmth and would say that the cautions stated about it getting too hot as fairly ridiculous; the warmth never gets too warm or uncomfortable, therefore, no need to wear over clothing.

My wife then tried a pad on her back between her shoulders as it had been causing her discomfort for a while but initially she felt the pad wasn't much use; the main problem was that, as she moved, the heated central area of the pad wouldn't stay in contact with the skin long enough to be effective as only the wing-ends are adhesive, however, after we used microporous tape around the edges to hold the pad against the skin she felt it did give comfort and, despite the instructions to the contrary, slept with the pad still in place. When she woke the next morning her back felt better than usual and likewise to me thought the pad never heated up too much.
on 21 March 2012
I suffer from migraines and either because of it, or a cause of it, I therefore suffer neck pain. A lot of tension at the base of my skull to the point that it's incredibly stiff. While this may not cure that, it certainly provides relief.

I was skeptical, having use gel heat/cool packs before or microwaveable wraps. However, other packs usually end up falling off and not staying on my skin. They wrinkle as soon as you place in anywhere moveable - like your neck - and pull at your hair and skin. Thermacare hasn't so far. I'm currently wearing my first one and I put it on approx. 5-6hrs ago. Right now it still feels hot which is impressive because with microwaveable heat packs, they usually cool down fast, or they fall off whenever you change position.
There's just two adhesives on either end of the strip and surprisingly they're holding it in place, without making me feel like I'm about to be waxed as well.

So thankful I've finally found something that works!
on 10 July 2016
These are the best product on the market. They are sufficiently large to cover the neck and a bit of shoulder. They stay hot for at least 16 hours, as they claim, and are quite often still warm after 12 hours.
They have adhesive which sticks to your skin but nothing worse than pulling off a plaster when you are done. Perhaps not so great for the elderly though.
They are more expensive that other products on the market but the best I have tried (by a mile). Many other heat patches you can't even attach directly to the skin and they end up flapping around miles from where the contact is needed. So I recommend these.
Size: 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These wraps are a good size, covering lower back area or a shoulder well. I find that the heat works well to ease aching muscles and I have no problems when I apply the wraps directly to my skin. The negative for me is that these wraps don't stick all the way around - not sure why - which causes them to bag out and lose contact with the skin. I found myself holding them in place - not ideal.
on 16 May 2016
I love these as they provide gentle heat for the aches and pains in the shoulders - suffering from a chronic muscle condition I find these relax the muscles and ease the tension over the course of the day. 2 sticky pads one either side, normally stick well to the skin and last the day. but make sure you have them in place allowing you to move freely otherwise they will pull and come off, so shrug your shoulders slightly to stick them on
VINE VOICEon 10 January 2014
Size: 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I've been suffering from tense and painful shoulder muscles for over 20 years, and having a desk job doesn't help either. What a pleasant surprise then to find these ThermaCare heat wraps being offered in a Vine newsletter.

There are three wraps in each box, with detailed instructions both on the reverse and on the outer cover of each wrap itself. The application is very easy, if a little fiddly at first, as the wraps are fairly large (approx. 29 cm long and 9.5 cm wide when fully unfolded), but they can be repositioned a couple of times without the self-adhesive losing any of its stickiness. The wraps do need to be fairly taut against the skin for the heat to have any effect, so a bit of repositioning may be required, especially in the neck/shoulder area. You should feel a slight warming a few seconds after the wrap is in position, and it can remain in place for up to 12 hours at a time. As the pain is usually worse in the evenings, I applied the wraps in the early evening (approx 7 pm) and left them on overnight. Waking up in the morning with all the stiffness and discomfort gone is bliss, and I've already used up all three supplied wraps and ordered two more boxes; at £4 a box, they're probably cheaper than buying them on the high street. The only puzzle to me is why it says (in highlights) on the box and the wrap cover that it provides up to 16 hours of pain relief when the instructions clearly advise you not wear them for more then 12 hours in 24 hours, but I guess I can live with that.

Despite this treatment method providing drug-free pain relief, it still comes with plenty of cautionary advice (taken from the wrap cover): do not use with medicated ointments or topical gels, or with pain rubs and/or other ointments, or other forms of heat; do not use on unhealthy, broken or damaged skin or on areas of the body where you can't feel heat; don't use on areas of bruising or swelling that have occurred in the last 48 hours; don't use on people who are unable to follow all the usage instructions or remove the wrap, including children, infants and some elderly; if cell contents leak and/or wrap is damaged and torn; be careful when applying to the wrist - do not overlap the heat cells; consult a healthcare professional if you have diabetes, poor circulation, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis or are pregnant; check skin frequently during use in case of burns or blisters; remove immediately in case of irritation or a burn; if the product feels too hot, stop use or wear over a layer of clothing, do not apply more pressure; stop use and consult a doctor if you experience any discomfort, burning, swelling, rash or other skin changes that persist where the wrap is worn or if after 7 days your pain gets worse or remains unchanged; if the iron in the cells is ingested or comes into contact with your skin and eyes, remove wrap, rinse affected area with water and seek professional assistance immediately; keep out of the reach of children and pets; never heat in a microwave or attempt to reheat, as wrap could catch fire; if you are 55 or older your risk of burning increases, so wear wraps over a layer of clothing or cloth and do not wear them while sleeping; remove product before undergoing any MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) procedures to avoid increased risk of burns; and finally, do not wear for more than 12 hours in a 24-hour period.

To those with a known plaster allergy: the adhesive used in the heat wraps is similar to Mepore dressings or Mefix tape used in doctor surgeries and hospitals and as such is hypoallergenic, but if you have a history of skin sensitivity or allergic reaction to these types of materials, I would play safe and not buy this product.
on 15 August 2015
I am never without these as they are a life saver for days when I get lower back pain. I know these are meant for the shoulders but they work very well for my back. Without these, I wouldn't have been able to make it to work due to the severity of the pain in my back. I could always call in and say I can't come in but I don't like to let my colleagues down, so these really have been a lifesaver.
They remain heated for approx 8 - 9 hours on me.

Thank you !
on 28 February 2011
I have tried others. This is a far superior product in every way to others on the market. Don't waste money on lookalikes.