on 24 September 2011
A must for winter camping. When it gets to real brass monkey weather, the gas stoves begin failing unless you've pre-warmed the gas cylinder. Hexamine stoves taint the flavour, paraffin stoves are the best of course, but a bit of a faff. If you are only going away for the weekend a couple of times a year, then the Trangia may be all you need.
Yes, they are slow, but you're not in a hurry are you?. They work in very low temperatures that defeat some of the gas stoves. For the cost of 1 medium gas cylinder, you can buy enough fuel for a year + you aren't tossing away the expensive container.
They're silent. This has to be appreciated in the middle of nowhere on a crisp morning or your last brew of the night.
Fuel is easily available and cheap.
So why not kick back, wait 6 minutes instead of 3 for your brew and enjoy the silence.

No in tent cooking!, not even in the porch unless you have something twixt stove and groundsheet. Yes, in tent cooking can be dangerous at the best of times. These things get hot all over, and a melted groundsheet or spilled fuel is not funny in a tent. Unlike their larger brethren, these are a little unstable. Controlling the flame for simmering or slow frying is a bit of an art and make sure you have enough fuel before you start as you cannot re-fuel the stove until it has fully cooled. Don't store fuel in it while travelling as they do leak a little and the meths makes your clothes smell funny. Not as bad as paraffin though.

For a day stove, for a spot of hiking and a brew/pot noodle, they can't be beat. For winter camping, they are damn good. Packs up very small too. For boil time comparisons, Gelert gas screw-on 3:00 mins. Optimus Primus 96 3:30 + a minute to start it. Trangia, 6:00 minutes + a minute to start it. Those times are very much rounded out.

For windier outdoors brew ups, you really do need a windshield of some sorts. The Trangia won't blow out, but the flame velocity is very low on these stoves and the heat gets blown away from your pot without some shielding. Roof flashing makes an excellent screen, as do those foil serving trays, suitably cut up.
on 19 April 2008
I used this for the first time in high winds on the top of Higger Tor in the peak district in April 2008. Within minutes I had hot water for a drink despite the weather. Just as good as its bigger brothers,this is perfect for using as an emergency stove or for those day hiking, fishing or hunting trips. The whole thing packs into the bowl.You can carry enough fuel in the burner for one use - eg on a days walking. The only drawback is that the lid/ frying pan can come off if you dont pack it in your bag right as there's no securing strap (Hence 4 stars).
If you want a compact stove and don't want to go to the expense of a Jetboil the mini trangia is for you. Its roughly the same size as a pair of British Army mess tins, but a damn sight easier to light than a hexamine stove.
on 9 October 2013
The Mini-Trangia is awesome, cute and hot! I was looking for a cookset for quite a while and as many of my friends praised the Trangia brand I thought I'd give it a go. My brother bought me this Trangia cookset 2 years ago now and it has followed me in many crazy adventures, wild camping, festivals, road trips... and never let me down. I love it and recommend! The Mini-Trangia serves its purpose well, it's light, and small and handy and almost flawless! Yeah, you should keep in mind this is a MINI cookset so don't expect you'll be cooking for your family and pals with this. There is just enough space in that pot for your own noodles or the little frying pan can fit an egg. I use it mostly to boil water; you can easily make coffee for 2 or 3 but it might take 2 turns to fill a thermos, however I never needed that much. Mini-Trangia in my heart :D
on 7 November 2015
Fantastic minimal cooking set. I like the lightweight pot-stand, and the fact that the frypan/lid does click in the main pot making a solid box that is convenient to carry.
The frypan is great for cooking eggs (during my cycling trips I always pass in front of farms that would sell fresh eggs) and other stuff, the non-stick coating means that very little water and time is needed for cleaning. That is convenient when resources and time are limited.
There is a thick plastic protector in the frypan, which helps to prevent scratching the non-stick coating. For the main pot, just keep a kitchen cloth inside to prevent rattling&scratches, unless there's someone so wise to travel without a kitchen cloth?

Mind you, the main pot is small, holds 500ml of water at the most safe point, 550ml if you dare, 600ml if you're heating soup or other food that does not boil. This is enough for the solo user, if you're cooking for two get the 0.9lt pot for the Trangia27, and this Mini-Trangia kit will neatly fit inside :-)
Also, the real weight of the mini-Trangia is a good 40gr more than stated. Yet, by using an alluminium burner (sorry Trangia for the brass one) you can have a complete kitchen with less than 350gr.

See the picture:
Mini Trangia 0.6lt pot, inside are the mini Trangia pot holder, an Alluminium DIY burner with cap, a kitchen towel, a small gas lighter, 1/4 of kitchen sponge, a plastic spork, a small wooden spatula, 1mt of kitchen alluminium foil; in the Mini Trangia frypan there is a 13cm tall pot windscreen made from alluminium baking tray. Not pictured the Mini Trangia pot stand.
Field tested, works brilliant with no fuss.
review image
on 28 September 2011
Very good sturdy little set. Simple to use though if you want idiots guide instructions (considering you're using flamible liquids)they are a bit short. Delivered 3 days after ordering or there abouts.
on 8 May 2010
All you'd expect from a Trangia. Small and light enough for solo cycle touring/hiking, even with a bottle of meths. So simple and clean to use. Withstands the strongest of winds, and surprisingly stable. Great little bit of kit at a fantastic price.
on 11 July 2011
The trangia is of the same great quality as all others from the range - much better than that of any cheaper alternatives. Saying that, the handle / tongs are not as good as I would have expected from my knowledge of those from the larger trangia sets, although I put this down to the size, as they have to fit into a smaller space. This definitely is a one-person sized trangia as it is smaller than I thought when it arrived. This was fine for me, as I am traveling with just one other person, and the trangia burner and stand accommodated other, much larger pots and pans. The set also comes with a little, guide of how long each filling of fuel burns for, and how quickly water will boil, which was very useful. Furthermore, the fuels for this product can be purchased very cheaply and locally. Overall a five star product.
on 20 June 2016
This is an excellent stove which I must have used at least 30 times since purchase.

I'm not sold on the redesigned cap which apparently offers a 'simmer' function. It doesn't work very well and once hot makes it difficult to use to snuff out the flame. Instead, I use an aluminium wind guard wrapped around the stove to lift it off the flame. It works well but I'd suggest you take precautions as a wind guard is not designed for this purpose and I'd not like to think of someone scolding themselves through my ill-considered advice.

I have two types of fuel which I use. Methylated spirit (which I water-down a little) for food cooking and Coleman's stove fuel for a large flame that boils water in a fraction of the time.

Prior to packing up, drop a little cooking oil inside of the cap to keep the rubber seal in tip-top condition and to allow for easy opening.

Incidentally, the 'pan' lost its anodised coating within two uses (methylated spirt). I only use this pan for boiling water to wash with rather than consume as I fear heavy metal contamination but perhaps I'm being overly cautious.
on 15 May 2014
First off, I was torn between this and the simpler 'trangia triangle'. What tipped it was that the triangle is £18, and this is £21.. for £3 you get a much better base for the burner, a 0.8ltr pot, pot handle and a non-stick frying pan oh and the burner its self.

This thing is tiny, it fits comfortably in one hand and weighs nothing. I thoroughly recommend a windshield, make sure it's not too tall (as this isn't exactly a huge stove) the vango orange shield works well.

My only gripe is that in the 27 (which I also use frequently) I can store quite a bit inside it, such as fuel, matches and a multi disk. Don't expect to manage much more than matches with this one. The burner needs to sit in a groove in the middle of the pan to pack away, so you only have the room around the burner-stand to play with, which isn't much

Totally replaced my other stoves as my 'one man backpacking' stove. Brilliant.
on 17 December 2014
Believe this or not but i have cooked sausages with fried onions, boiled potatoes and gravy using this little stove. And once again for the non believers i have a you tube video of it cooking the the said above somewhere. Yes i like this bit of kit. And you can even simmer on it. I still have mine.