Customer reviews

Balance Of Power
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 July 2017
I first got to know of Jeff Lynne when he was a Wilbury and he'd more or less forgotten about ELO in favour of his new best friends. As a safe bet I bought ELO's "best of" to see how I liked it, and I did! Since then I've loosely been an ELO fan. When he appeared at the Radio 2 Hyde Park concert a few years ago my interest in ELO was rekindled. This album is very typical of his work, he does the vocals and most of the instruments himself, and I like every track on Balance of Power. I think my favourite ELO work is Time. If you haven't heard either of these albums I recommend them both, you won't be disappointed.
on 22 April 2017
Not regarded as one of their best, It for me is probably one of the best underrated albums which the eighties produced.
on 29 November 2017
Not my favourite ELO album but has a very Travelling Wilburys era feel about it, including a guest vocal by Roy O.
on 7 November 2017
bought for another person
on 8 June 2007
The sound quality of this remaster is far superior to the original CD which I bought in 1986. So much so that the songs actually 'work' better and the album has an flow and continuity that I didn't notice before.

People always complain when an album gets too 'synthy' - yet even the so called rock albums these days are Pro Tooled up to the eyeballs. This is a very slick pop album by Jeff Lynne. Why should that be a bad thing?
on 8 June 2015
ELO have become my 3rd favourite,after the beatles and the beach boys
on 5 February 2007
Lots of people trashed this album when it first hit the shelves, but I enjoyed it immensely. I think it was a reflection of Jeff's personal thoughts at the time, and the lyrics are quite deep, especially "Getting to the Point". Calling America, and So Serious do sound rather euro-poppy

but if you are a true or even new ELO fan, the album tries to fit in with the 'sound' at the time. I do agree the album cover is rather dull, but beings this was the last official ELO album to be released, by the original guys, give it a listen with headphones on in a dark room. You maybe be pleasantly surprised ??
on 29 July 2017
I like this album a lot. In my opinion, it's generally underrated
on 10 March 2007
I have already penned a review of this ELO album under its original cd release so as regards the musical merits my opinion is unchanged. Having decided to purchase this expanded edition as the bonus bits looked tempting I thought it useful to comment on the reissue contents.

Firstly the notes are informative and there are lots of pictures of single releases from the album but as with all the ELO reissues, no lyrics.

The bonus tracks are quite appealing at first sight. At last the b-sides 'Caught in a trap' and 'Desitination unknown' make an appearance and fine tracks they are too. However, 'A matter of fact' the b-side of 'So Serious' is missing as is the 'ELO Megamix' which backed the 12" release of the excellent 'Getting to the point' single. Why ? Who decides when these things are prepared "OK folks, we are not going to include hese tracks". Are they being saved for a future release perhaps ? If so, that's a shame as with just over 56 minutes running time they could easily have been accommodated. The rest of the tracks are 'Opening/Heaven only knows(alternative version)'. A nice way of intro-ing to the albums first track, I am surprised this didn't make it to the album in the first place. Then comes an unreleased track 'In for the kill' but hey wait a minute, this is in actual fact 'Caught in a trap' with different words. Ha, shame on the record company for not making that clear ! Finally we get 'Secret lives' and 'Sorrow about to fall' in slightly different mixes which are neither better nor worse than the originals.

All in all a tad disappointing and not in the same league as some of the other ELO reissues.
on 10 April 2014
Surprisingly underrated, possibly due to Jeff Lynne's and the record label's flagging enthusiasm , this album stands up well now with strong tracks like Getting to the Point, Calling America Heaven Only Knows and the lovely ballad Without Someone . It was an exceptionally short album but this reissue significantly lengthens it which leaves you wondering why the three "new" tracks added weren't there in the first place as they are in no way fillers. An unexpected delight that plays well as an in-car driving music album.