Apparently if I gave this product five stars it would mean "I Love It" as opposed to just liking it. But it struck me before I started writing, that if my life ever became so mundane as to "love" ANY kitchen implement, I should probably seek counselling!

That said, it does not detract from the fact that this wee beastie is definitely worth having. I'm sure that just like me, a lot of people out there have kitchen cupboards positively stacked with various gadgets and gizmos that promised at one stage or another, to make your time in the kitchen somehow more enjoyable or easier. Maybe even promised to make you eat healtheir?

But that's where this stainless steel gizmo comes into its own. It seems quite short sighted for it to be marketed specifically as a "Potato Chipper". Yes I do use it for making great and reasonably healthy chips in my Actifry. But then it's also great for making uniform sized (and thus equally cooked) carrot batons to boil or steam, chopping onions, or at the other end of a meal, for use on any number of fresh fruits such as apples, pears, mango and even pineapple. It really does make food preparation quick and easy.

It's also surprisingly well made and very sturdy to use. Initially I was amazed how much downward pressure you can apply, which means one push down and a whole spud is chipped. Granted it won't take really big spuds, but then why would anyone buy baking potatoes to make chips with? I did read one review that said, as with similar products, it didn't cut right through potatoes and that the reviewer had to pull the potatoes through manually to pull the raw chips out. However through trial and error (and a bit of close scrutiny), it DOESN'T tell you in the instructions that one side of the chipping blade (you get two, one for standard chips and one for thinner American type "fries") is quite a bit sharper than the other. So in effect, if you put the blade in back to front, which you can easily do until you get used to it, it's like using a blunt knife. So you end up trying to force the potato through with brute strength alone rather than with the assistance of the sharp side of the blade(s).

So yes, I would definitely recommend this item, and not just for chips. All I would say, is just spend a few minutes when you unpack it, to make sure you're putting the sharp side of the blade(s) towards the potato. It's one of those exceedingly rare kitchen gadgets that HASN'T made it's way to the back of the kitchen cupboard, and what's more, it seems very unlikely that it will ever do so. Ahh bliss!
on 25 March 2017
This arrived promptly and packaged well. Easy to assemble and wash. This is a very good device for chipping potatoes, little effort required.
After a few weeks one of the blades within the grid broke and i emailed customer service and explained the problem, i received a replacement grid by return post. Their customer service is outstanding and their products are good, I will be doing business with them again. Thank you.
on 12 August 2016
What's the point of making a potato chipper when it's not strong enough to chip a potato? Both blades broke in a rather dangerous fashion after just 2/3 uses. I am stunned that some people have left good reviews, maybe they're chipping potatoes that have been boiled? This is a flimsy product that is not strong enough to cope with multiple uses. AVOID
on 14 November 2016
Perfect for the chip lovers out there. Unnecessary but satis-fryingly good to use. Sucks it’s self to the worktop good and feels stable when using it. Two sizes of chips but limited on how big the potato is pre cut. Recommend you buy this cutter if you enjoy uniform chips and fries.Master Class Stainless Steel Potato Chipper, 26 x 12 cm (10" x 4.5")
on 7 March 2012
I used this machine often and found two problems with it. The first was that the plastic push plate would not push the potato all the way through the cutter plate and the potato would get stuck. What you have to do is push the previous potato through with another.Of course the final potato is then stuck.
Second problem was one of the blades on the cutter plates became bent, came loose and fell out. At this point the machine could not be used. I received a replacement blade and the exact same thing happened. The machine has a 10 year warranty and customer service from masterclass was excellent. However supply of spare parts was hit and miss and when I requested my third cutter blade I was told it could not be supplied for several months.
11 Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2012
This is a very sturdy product which is easy to clean. However, I would have preferred it to come with a bigger cutter for really nice chunky chips. This has two sized chip cutters but both too small. I think the actifry cooks a lot better with chunkier chips. Also, when cutting the chips, it doesn't always push them all the way through and you have to mess about trying to pull the remaining bit of potato through!
It's ashame as this really had the potential for five stars from me...
on 18 May 2017
Very pleased with product and service.
on 22 January 2013
Lubricate the cutting grid beforehand each time.

I have just taken delivery of one of these chipmakers from Amazon and frankly I was a bit dubious beforehand having read all the reviews that said a strong arm was needed. I happen to have very strong arm but I was worried that the device might not take this kind of treatment continuously so I immediately decided to test out my new purchase on a large `rooster' breed of potato.

It went ok initially although it stopped firmly halfway through the first fairly large size spud (max dimensions of potato that will fit the machine naturally was used without cutting ends off or anything else like that to help) and required a second application of my strong arm to complete it. I was satisfied enough at this point to say `good purchase' but then I got a brainwave.

I coated the cutting blades of the dicing grid with cooking oil(used a pastry brush to paint it on) and tried another large spud of maximum size again. This time it went through the same grid much, (very much) easier and made fine chips.

I recommend this experience to other users and perhaps you would come back with the feedback of your experiments. Try coating the grid each time beforehand with the same oil that you cook with. Eureka ?

I only tried one very large potato but that was enough to impress me.

I look forward to hearing from you all out there after you have tried this.

Austin
on 16 February 2017
Brilliant, so easy to cut potatoes into chips I should have bought one earlier.
on 24 May 2017
Broke within a day, utterly useless, made of poor quality!