TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 October 2009
I've been looking for a reasonably-sized, non-stick double boiler for quite a time as the non-stick lining of my old one, bought years ago, is wearing out. I make real porridge at least once a week: pin-head oatmeal poured into hot milk, stirred with a spurtle and gently heated in a double boiler for about 15 mins in the evening, salt added and then left overnight to soak and swell off the heat. In the morning it has thickened and just needs to be re-heated in a double-boiler. Take it from me without a non-stick lining a lot of soaking and scrubbing is needed as oatmeal, especially cooked in milk, sticks like anything! This Clearview Porringer is even better than my old one in that the inner pan has a round base which makes it easier to stir the porridge and also to clean as there isn't a right-angle between the base and sides of the inner pan. A fault in some double-boilers is that the gap between the inner and outer pans has too tight a fit and when the water in the outer pan boils it creates a pressure build-up and hot water spurts out carried on steam. This porringer doesn't do this. The build quality is good and nicely heavy. The glass lid also fits into the outer pan which makes it a useful little sauce-pan for use at other times.
I can see that this double boiler will also be excellent for making egg-based custards, keeping delicate sauces warm or melting chocolate.

Update October 2010: The porringer's non-stick surface is still in perfect condition after being used at least once a week and my porridge stirred with a wooden spurtle. It's washed in a dishwasher which has'nt affected the surface. if, like me, you sometimes put too much water in the lower pan you can stop the water bubbling up by putting a cork between the two handles held in place by an elastic band. Too much water is better than too little. I've occasionally left the porringer on too high a flame and the water has boiled dry so I routinely use the cork ensemble to be on the safe side.
I'd advise against using a wooden spurtle that can scratch the surface. A silcon spoon is safer.

Update August 2015: For the last two years I've been making porridge overnight every night of the week so my porringer has been getting heavy use. I sometimes hurry up the re-heating in the morning by putting the inner saucepan directly on the heat and occasionally over-heating the contents and having nearly burnt porridge on the pan which I've had to use a scourer to remove so I've slightly damaged the non-stick lining, but am amazed that this relatively cehap pan has lasted so well despite my bad treatment.
22 Comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2010
I bought this product to replace an exisiting porringer which I could no longer use as a result of getting a new kitchen. The new hob is induction and the old porringer wouldn't work. While I bought it because I wanted a porringer ironically I use it as an ordinary pan having got used to making porridge in the microwave!! When I purchased this product I hadn't really realised that it was in fact a double purpose pan, so this has turned out to be a double bonus. While not using it so much as a porringer I am still pleased with the purchase. I have given it 4 rather than 5 stars because of the lid - the knob is secured to the lid with a screw and having had a bad experience with Meyer pans in this respect i.e the knob drops off because the screw fitting fails Iam concerned the same may happen here.
on 17 March 2017
Really good product, previously have just used a regular saucepan and more often than not ending up burning them badly - Also good for making custard instead of putting ion a glass bowl over a suacpan - Would definitely recommend this kitchen essential.
on 13 December 2010
Excellent product. Could do with a little vent too let the lower steam escape as it tends to spit, but I just stick a narrow spoon down the side and that works I have bought two as it is so good.
on 9 November 2013
These are first rate BUT when put together the fit is not perfect - steam will escape from the lower pan because the top pan droops a little towards the lower pan handle. This is cured by wedging a wine bottle cork between the two handles close to where they join the saucepans. This tip was given by another purchaser whose review is on this page, so after reading that and before buying the bain marie I made sure that I had a proper wine bottle cork available! And I now enjoy delicious pinhead oatmeal porridge - yummy stuff! AND, may I suggest that you make sure you buy the non-stick bain marie! Makes cleaning so much easier.
on 16 January 2015
Bought to melt chocolate for hot chocolate drinks. Works well, melts the chocolate smoothly. I will also use this for porridge and sauce making.
Seems very good quality. The base pan is stainless but the top 'melter' is not stick, so I had to get a silicon whisk so I didn't scratch it! The product is fairly compact, so I have a nice small stainless steel lidded pan (the bottom pan) to add to my collection.
All in all, very pleased with it.
on 7 November 2010
This was just the thing for melting chocolate trying to do it in a couple of saucepans was a disaster, glad I purchased this double boiler
on 18 March 2017
I am impressed by how well packed was the porringer and how quickly it arrived. I am Russian and in Russia we eat many porrigdes made from different cereals. I've bought this porringer to cook a milk millet porrigde, which is good for one's health, but sticks to the pan or burns easily. The Kitchen Craft Porringer was perfect for cooking a milk millet porridge. Everything was so easy and the porridge was perfect, creamy and velvety.
Very happy with the purchase, strongly reccommend the porringer and the seller
on 10 July 2012
This makes great porridge. Add boiling water to oats and salt last thing at night, then get up very early and set it bubbling away for two or three hours. Having had heart-breaking curdling of custard in a normal pan while making vanilla ice-cream I find this a godsend. No more grainy ice-cream after buying this!
I give it 4 stars instead of 5 as the first one I received from Amazon had an air bubble under the non-stick coating so it had to go back.
on 2 January 2011
This product was better than expected due to its non stick qualities, a first rate purchase that deserves Five stars