Format: DVD|Change
Price:£9.05+ £1.26 shipping

on 9 January 2012
I bought this for my mum who is 86 and has alzheimers.
She has often mentioned how much she loved this film when she was younger, so I decided to seek it out as a Xmas gift.
Really pleased to find it, and surprised at the excellent quality.
The film is in english, and it is very easy to remove any foreign subtitles.
Yes, it is old fashioned and rather cheesy, but I am sure it will bring back happy memories to many people.
on 19 January 2010
I spent aaages trying to find this for my Mum-we used to watch it all the time when I was tiny, and I managed to get it for her for Christmas and it didn't fail to disappoint...a massive blub-fest ensued. Definitely one to watch as it has some very poignant and clever ideas.
VINE VOICEon 3 July 2008
I'm prejudiced about this film, because I saw it as a small child, and was absolutely enchanted. From a child's viewpoint, everything looked magical. I especially loved the fairy, Light, and the Land of the Unborn Children. As a grownup, I can appreciate the slightly tacky, not to mention low-budget, nature of the costumes and settings, but I don't care. I still love it!!!

For one thing, the color has been restored beautifully; for another, Shirley Temple's terminal cuteness was finally curbed by a competent director, Walter Lang. Every curl still remains in place, but she puts in a more than creditable performance as the spoiled brat, Mytyl. The little boy playing her brother Tyltyl is also engaging, as are Sibyl Jason, and Juanita Quigley as children in supporting roles. And Gale Sondergaard is brilliant as Tylette the sneaky cat. Her exchanges with the growling dog Tylo are highly amusing.

If children have not become too jaded by their exposure to computers, and can still believe in magic and fairies, they will love this allegorical fable based upon the novel by Maurice Maeterlinck.
on 19 May 2010
This is an excellent full-colour DVD of a very old filmn (1940) and exactly as remembered from childhood. Two children go on adventures to find the bluebird of happiness finding it at last where they least expected.

One of the most moving scenes is when they think of their grandparents who are then seen asleep outside their cottage and who awaken to welcome their grandchidren. When the children leave they sit once again outside their cottage and fall asleep. The message to the viewer is that everytime you think of those loved ones who are dead, they are brought back to life again, if only in memory.

Full value for such a cheap DVD.
on 17 August 2014
First watched this film when my children were small and we all loved it. Now they are grown up and have families of their own, but my younger daughter asked me if I had ever seen a copy for sale. So I purchased this and we all watched it with her children. They enjoyed it, we both had a weep and fun was had by all!
on 8 January 2015
This is surprisingly good. Shirley Temple does not give her usual sugary performance, but plays a rather nasty, petulant little girl who learns valuable life lessons while searching for the bluebird of happiness. It compares favourably with the later version starring Elizabeth Taylor, which was very amateurish.
on 22 October 2014
As lovely as I remembered. Good quality film for an old movie. I was a little worried as it starts in black and white before changing to colour.
Hopefully my grandchildren will watch it with me as there's a moral in the tale.
Glad I purchased it.
on 2 August 2016
I searched everywhere for this film as I watched it when younger and loved the magical feel about it.

Sadly when it arrived it only worked for 20 minutes, seller refunded so back to my hunt for this dvd
on 6 April 2016
A very underrated film indeed! It may not have equalled MGMs ("Wizard") but Metro were unbeatable in late 30s! More `Grimms Fairy Tale` in style-but enthralling! Helen Ericson (Light) John Collins (Tylo) and Gale Sondergaard (Tylette) very good indeed!
on 28 April 2015
Watched this movie as a child....Still enjoy to this day. A Very beautiful emotional movie...a MUST SEE Especially for Shirley Temple(May She Rest In Peace In Heaven ..just like she was in Heaven In this movie) Fans. I Love ALL her movies and this Will Always bring fond memories of watching with my Family as a little girl.