Customer reviews

on 30 May 2017
Precision, engineered, excellent quality. Highly sensitive, but once practiced, it is an impressive aid. I utilise SketchUp in my production of 3D animations for fine art modules at Uni. I tried modeling without it recently - so much slower. Even though I'm pretty much skint most of the time. I'm pleased with this purchase.
on 13 July 2017
Fantastic tool to have when using Autocad and Inventor. Makes using the software so much easier ..... Great purchase must have for anyone working in these packages
on 21 September 2014

I purchased this Space Navigator 3D mouse to see how it would help with my work in the Solidworks CAD program.
Overall I am very pleased with it.

The 3D mouse does nothing more in the cad program that the normal mouse will do, but it does it all a lot easier and faster,
and it is possible to use both mice together.

Each of the two programmable buttons can be set up to perform any one of many chosen tasks within the cad program, which is quite useful.

After a few hours practice it becomes natural to use, just like the normal mouse did.
I would not want to be without it now.

It was in Google Earth that I found the 3D mouse to be the most fun.

Once the mouse is configured correctly it allows you to zoom in and out of valleys,
smoothly fly around in several directions and rotate, all at the same time,
circle mountains, just as if you were piloting a UFO spaceship on a visit to Earth.
Certainly cannot do any of this with a normal mouse.

The programmable buttons on the side work in Google Earth also.
I have set the left button to rotate the view to north when looking down at an angle,
and the right button to looking straight down, and at the same time resetting the north view back to north.

There are a whole list of button action possibilities to choose from, unfortunately there are only two buttons.
The next version of this 3D mouse really needs to have six buttons, that would be really useful.

The Navigator has six super-bright blue LED lamps inside, which can eventually become distracting,
it is not possible to dim the lights down, but fortunately they can be turned off as the default setting in the mouse control panel.

The mouse is quite heavy, the soft rubber coated knobbly is set into a solid block of shiny magnetic stainless steel.

Initially this mass is sufficient to prevent the mouse from sliding along the desk when moving sideways, forwards - backwards,
but when dust on the desk top eventually collects under the soft rubber ring on the base, the mouse begins to slide on the desk until a quick clean.

It is also possible to lift the mouse up off the desk, another 0.5 Kg mass in the base would be useful.

I consider the mouse to be worth the cost, for the CAD work, but a bit of an expensive toy just for Google Earth !
I think that the mouse can also be used in some first-person shooter games, I expect that game developers will start writing drivers for these mice soon.

on 11 April 2017
To anyone using 3D CAD software such as SolidWorks then you really could do with investing in this product. It doesn't replace the mouse, it compliments it. Your left hand can now zoom in and rotate the products on screen, whilst you use the mouse for all other commands.

The Space Navigator is astonishingly well built and is very heavy so won't move readily on the desk. It's silky smooth in operation once you have sussed out your hand eye coordination. Installation in my case was very easy, just download and install the latest drivers and off you go. If I can do it then I'm pretty sure you can.

Seriously this is a very nice bit of kit. Highly recommended to anyone using 3D CAD software.
on 31 May 2014
It was recommended by a friend as a useful aid to SketchUp. ...Maybe eventually, if I ‘stick with it’, but for now it’s an impediment - and a solution to a problem I didn’t have! After 90 mins ‘persevering’ I felt distinctly ill with motion sickness. For me, the problem is isolating the movement I want, e.g. to pan left / right and not also roll, or zoom in / out without also pitching up / down.
Tried it on Google Earth a couple of days later, it seemed better for this application ...but after a couple of hours - felt ill for the rest of the day !!! This may be ‘aversion therapy’ because I haven’t felt inclined to use it since...
My friend assures me it will come naturally with practice, but my advice would be to take frequent breaks!
on 8 July 2017
I bought my SpaceNavigator in January 2007, after more than ten years of being carried about by a contractor from office to office (not sitting on one desk), usually thrown into the bottom of my laptop bag (without a protective case), it is still working as well as on day one. It was an excellent buy.
on 16 January 2012
I was actually given this free when on some autodesk training, never felt the need to use one, but as I had it free I thought I'd give it a whirl. Now 4 years down the line I cant use my 3d program without it! so easy to fly around and zoom in and out, speeds up my work rate considerably. I thought it had broken after 4 years, which is why I came to look to buy a new one right away! However I plugged it into a different machine and downloaded the new drivers and it still works perfectly! I don't use the default settings for navigation, for some reason I prefer to use my own, and now I'm used to that I cant change.

You'll wonder what you did without it after a few weeks use.
on 11 January 2011
I bought this largely for smoothly navigating in 3D environments whilst shooting video sequences. It is fantastic, within a few minutes I was able to move my 'camera' position smoothly through 3D environments in virtual worlds like Second Life and OpenSim in ways that just aren't possible using the keyboard, or in fact any other input device I've tried. Love it.
on 25 June 2017
I don't know what the words to evaluate the product, everything is so perfect.Just worth every penny,buy it! They worked and are beautiful!!! My daughter will love it! Very nicely packaged.Bought a lot of things are very satisfied.Very good seller! outstanding product that is easy to use Very pretty effect. Works great, just have to trust it Product looks great and works!!
on 1 November 2011
I love the idea and the quality of the item but have not spent enough time with it to be able to control it properly. This may be something as simple as being right handed and having the Space Navigator worked by my left hand.

It's not a replacement for a mouse, it just controls the view, and there are two buttons on it (with 3D modelling programs these are set to zoom extents and a little pop up menu, but both are also assignable to other commands, either preset or you can create your own). You cannot select items with it, just change the view.

It connects to your computer via a cable, it would be better if it was wireless.

Whether it will be any use for you will depend on how you work. If like me you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts rather than clicking on toolbar icons, you'll constantly be moving your hand back and forth and losing any productivity gains. If you normally just click away with your mouse, your other hand will be free for navigation and it will probably work quite well for you.

If your 3D software already has good view adjustment tools that you can work quickly, you probably don't need it, except maybe for quickly setting up views for things like animations, though you do have to invest the time in teaching your hand how much to move and in what direction.

The other thing is that it behaves differently in different bits of software. This is how it's supposed to be, and you can of course modify the behaviour to be the same, and it creates separate profiles for each program, which sounds like a good idea, but when you find a way you like it working, you don't seem to just be able to copy those setting over to be used for everything, which would be good.

Definitely download the beta drivers for this, much better than the released driver.

There are some 3D programs that it doesn't work with (eg BricsCAD, which needs better 3D navigation), so check it works with your intended software.

In terms of the feel / feedback you get from the item, you might find that the notebook version suits you getter - it has a much lighter touch.

Overall, I'm glad I bought it but don't use it much. If you do buy one, bank on spending quite a while training your hand to use it. No instant productivity gains here.