Customer reviews

Fab
on 25 September 2014
Great story line
on 29 July 2015
Arrived quick, slight jolt during film but not enough to annoy me
on 11 November 2008
I think I have been spoilt. Watching the new BBC version of Tess inspired me to watch this ITV version again and in my opinion, it doesn't come close to matching it!

One thing it it's favour is that I love Oliver Milburn as Angel! He is gorgeous and this is worth watching for him alone. I think the chemistry he and Justine Waddell share is electric. I am not so convinced of Justine as Tess. She lacks the innocence of Tess and I found her acting a bit forced.

The most annoying thing for me though is the commentary all the way through. Talk about ruining the moment! Whoever came up with that idea should have been sacked.

Perhaps I have been too harsh. It is a moving portrayal of the story and I did cry at the end. Maybe had the BBC version not come out I would have loved it more, but this version will always fall short for me.
on 6 May 2017
Love Hardy and this is a masterpiece reflecting all the 'values' of the times it was written in. Hardy had an amazing social conscience.
on 9 May 2017
I have all 3 versions of TESS. I enjoy them all and can remember crying all night reading the Book. I just could not put it down. BUT it is great to watch the movie and mini series versions too.
on 18 August 2007
Sometimes when you watch films based on classic books you are too busy comparing between the book to fully appreciate the film version. Well this scores full marks on both accounts. It both succeeds in creating an accurate version of the book, and works well as a film in its own right. Whether you have read the book or not. Whether you are a fan of period dramas or not. This is a film you should watch.

It is both beautifully acted and is visually impressive. The photography is detailed and intelligent. The acting is top draw, the characters being portrayed with authenticity which easily involves you in the pathos of the story. As is ever with Hardy, you won't be expecting a typical "happy ending", what you will get however is much, much, more. You will get something that is genuine. Something that you truly moves you, gaining an experience that will stay with you for a long time. Trust me, buy it or rent it today.
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2006
I think this adaptation was simply stunning. It remained, as far as I could see, true not only to the spirit of the book but also to the main events described there. In a brief reply to those who may find this depressing, that's Hardy's 'bag' - Plus, I don't think it reflects that Hardy 'hated' Tess. Rather, he told the tale of a young, independent-spirited girl who holds to her set of values despite the people around her. Her parents do love their daughter but are hopelessly naive about what the D'Urberville name might bring, and send Tess off as a young, vulnerable girl; being pushed into the path of Alec D'Urberville, who abuses Tess's naivete, her innocence is stolen and, as is characteristic of the whole story, fated events carry Tess on against her will. When she finds the thing she wants, love and marriage with Angel Claire, fate deals another blow to set her off course. The story is really about the cruelty of fate and the inability of humans to resist its power. But Hardy also considered a loss of religious faith which reflected his own and this is portrayed really well in this film. Other key themes were the effects of the industrial revolution on the countryside culture and life -

this is well depicted in the film.

The acting, beautiful music and good use of lighting / scenery also recommend this film - its so nice to see an adaptation which might inspire you to read the book (probably still the best way to enjoy this tale) than one which puts you off.