on 10 March 2016
This is the first time I have seen this film, and I have always be a fan of donald pleasence, most know him as the man trying to get rid of the killer in the Halloween movie,s and lot,s more horror kind of movie,s, but he was a great actor in his younger day,s, I have seen him in lots of other old movie,s, even a long side the late great jaws star Robert Shaw in the caretaker, and that way very good, if you have not seen this movie then like me you have missed out on this great film, till now the DVD is a must, god rest his soul.
on 20 August 2015
The late, great Donald Pleasance is superb in this depiction of the Crippen story, playing the lead role with understated brilliance. I tend to agree with the theory that IF Crippen killed his wife it probably was by accidentally overdosing her with the drug he was using to try to keep her 'knocked out' at night in order to escape her amorous overtures, pretty much as presented in the film. If this case had come to court today, I doubt whether Crippen would have been found guilty, so perhaps the film is in fact a testament to perhaps one of the biggest miscarriages of justice of the 20th century.
on 13 April 2018
Arrived on time and plays fine. Good old murder story.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 March 2015
I really enjoyed this film. I didn't know much at all about Crippen but I do now. In fact I felt quite sorry for him. I now plan to read the book.
on 20 February 2013
The film narrates the story of Crippen well, and has a nice period feel to it, but I felt that the story unfolded a little too slowly. Had the script been edited down by twenty minutes or so, it would have been more compelling.
on 27 February 2013
I do not know how closely this story follows the facts of this case. I suspect rather closely. The film is gripping from the get go. Pleasence delivers his expected craftsman like performance. The wife is played in such a way as to engender no sympathy for the victim. If I had to criticise the film in any way it would be to say that the pace is maybe a tad slow. However, the slowness does add to the tension so maybe I do need to qualify that negative.
on 10 April 2016
Good film.
on 7 February 2017
Excellent DVD of this classic story
on 8 March 2016
What a dark bastard, Great film.
on 4 December 2012
I spent a chilling night watching this DVD on my own
It left me feeling quite cut up and feeling very drained.