on 8 February 2011
I bought one of these filters for my new Canon 100-400 zoom lens, to be used in conjunction with a Canon 7D. I was really disappointed with the quality of images I was getting, and it was only when I took the filter off that I found out that it was causing the problem.
Some people suggest a UV filter to protect your lens; well, I suppose it does that ok, but there's no point in protecting it if the image suffers as much as mine did in the process.
So don't bother, is my advice.
1616 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 April 2017
Very good filter.
I must admit that buying a filter is not by any means an easy feat. The range on websites such as Hoya are not by any means easily distinguishable.

Would be nice if manufacturers use a table to identify the key differences between each of the types.

Anyway, back to this Pro-1 Digital UV filter, it's very good.

I read some of the reviewers complaining about smears etc. on the filter. If you handle with care you'd be ok.

To make sure it's cleaned properly I've found its best to use a soft lint-free cleaning cloth. Microfibre cloth MAY be too harsh.

The filter screws onto Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens very easily. Unscrewing it is also very easy. Keep the protective case to hand and always put it in there if the filter were to be removed.

The Hoya 72mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter is very good because it has:

Digital multi-coated filters to greatly reduce the appearance of lens flare and ghosting caused by reflections.

black matte aluminum satin finish almite frame which is designed to reduce reflections.

I quite like the black rimmed glass which is designed to reduce the chance of light reflecting off the edge.

The Ultra thin filter frames help to avoid vignetting (especially for super wide angle lenses - not an image sue with Primes), the thin frame is also designed to hold a lens cap easily.

In summary, the look and feel, the functionality, the ease of use, and the quality of the glass are all good.
on 22 January 2013
On receiving the UV Lens I opened up the sealed box and found there was already a mark on the glass, It wasnt a dirty mark , it looked like there was a fault with the coating, there were small holes in the coating. Like water splash marks but were inside the glass.
I mentioned this to amazon who sent me some labels to which I put the filter back in its box and sent it back.

Was expecting Hoya glass to be alot better than this.

The fault is with HOYA tho and not with Amazon or the seller as they couldnt of known without opening to check I guess.

Props to Amazon for the refund.
55 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 October 2017
I'll be honest: I trust Hoya. They've been around for years and I've never had any problems with their equipment.

This is another example of a nice Hoya product. Simple, metal ring filter, and nice and thin to miminise the risk of vignetting. I keep a filter on the front of all my lenses and when the DSLR fell on concrete some months ago (despite being in a bag - which is another story) the filter took most of the impact, such that it smashed the glass in the filter rather than the glass in the lens. Plus it keeps dust off the optics of the actual lens.

I believe the "Pro-1 Digital" bit is supposed to have additional coatings to minimise reflections. I've never compared it to 'ordinary' Hoya filters so I can't say how much difference it makes. If you're shooting straight into bright light you will inevitably get some flare, but I can't normally tell there's a filter on the front. And at the £10-15 price, you might as well get the Pro-1 anyway!
on 5 March 2018
My previous hoya filter has become a little scratched (and thus served its purpose) so I was excited to get a shiny clean new filter. However it came out of the case a little dusty, when I tried to remove this dust the surface seems a little 'sticky' compared to other filters I've had. Which I believe doesn't help with the dust problem I now have. Tried to clean with a lens wipe, now smeary and can't seem to remove the smears. I don't think the external coating and quality on this is very good compared to previous filters. Considering returning but now not sure what else to get.
on 24 February 2014
Opened the box and screwed this on feeling rather pleased with my new lens. The attachment which was magnetic didn't hold properly and this lens fell onto laminate floor and shattered instantly. This is my first filter so maybe I'm expecting a bit much, but a more durable lens would be nice. I have RayBan sunglasses with glass lenses that have survived many accidental falls.
review image
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 August 2017
The lens I bought to go with my camera would not work with my camera.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 March 2017
In my opinion are useless
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 August 2017
Having bought a new lens I needed a new size UV filter. I have had many filters over the years both cheap and expensive and this was a relatively expensive filter. I have had it on my camera for a short period of time but it has inexplicably shattered. There is no reason for this to happen and I look after my equipment well. Maybe a freak incident and a one off occurrence but it has cost me £30. I wont be buying this particular filter again just in case...
on 15 September 2017
I've always used a UV filter on interchangeable lens cameras and having just gone back to using one after years of using a compact thought I would get a good branded one. It if fine and doesn't seem to effect the quality of pictures at all, as an extra bit of protection from scratches to the lens think it is probably worth it but to be honest think a generic brand would be just as good and probably cheaper.