Customer reviews

Some Loud Thunder
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 February 2013
Loved the bands first album, great from start to finish.

Then came this. I was very excited when I opened the package, quickly put it in my CD player and was distraught to find a shoddily produced album with little to marvel at. Satan said dance apart, there is nothing to catch the ear apart from guitars way to high in the distortion range and mix.

Every now and again, I revisit the album in the hope that I will get it with time. This really hasn't happened. So annoying following on from one of my fave albums of 2006, to my worst purchase of 2007.
on 1 February 2007
At first this album really unsettled me. Dave Friedmann (producer Flaming Lips) has taken this wonderful carefree band, who's first album seemed to roll from tracks 1 to 12 with this wry smile on its face and given it a very odd new twist. To be frank, the first half of the album sounds like an old unmastered copy of a 60's beat pop genre album you might pick up. In fact, (especially on headphones) you might think there is something wrong with your speakers. Tiltle track, Some Loud Thunder's drum beat sounds not quite distorted, but definitely peaking very high. And then throughout some of the album there are those tin whistle jangly guitars, church reverberated tambourines and long attempted harmonies by Alex Ounsworth that mildly resemble early Beach Boys-esque material we have all heard before.

But then i heard Satan Said Dance. And the album turned into a totally different animal. With its jive disco kick and snare beat, its guitars both rolling around your head and then buzzing and clipping around like bees, to the elephant like trumpet and jazz piano moaning at the beginning, i was boldly reminded of who i was listening to. Goodbye To The Mother And The Cover's beautiful guitars are doused by Ounsworth's longing for something gone, before ending with an explosion of backround drumrolling, marshmellow synth and a dozen Alex Ounsworth's willing the loss to return. Arm and Hammer unleashes unpredictably with its crunching guitars like a T.Rex anthem. Buts its Yankee Go Home that Ounsworth has really shown that he can write songs. In many ways its a brave endeavour and as uneasy as it seems, he is backed up with a confident band on top form. The stand-out on Some Loud Thunder for me though is Underwater (You and Me). This is the song the likes of The Polyphonic Spree could never make. It's beautiful, uplifting and enchanting. Ounsworth soars "Hanging up there in the sky as though a ballon, anchored by an astronaut's patriot tune", accompanied by a smiling bassline and chirpy guitars. Yet because of Ounsworth drawn out vocals it never sounds cheesy.

I am not sure of Dave Friedmann's involvement in this record. On the first half of the album it seems the band are a little anxious with this new direction. To be honest i would never like to see Clap Your Hands in the same catergory as The Flaming Lips. In some ways i think they are far superior. They really seemed to pick it up on the second half though. Five Easy Pieces, the closing track brings us back to the beginning but with a different outlook. It seems more confident and peaceful.

If you like CYHSY, buy this album. But don't expect it to best the first. Expect it to be different. I have had the album only a week and given it 3 stars. Which is pretty good. At the moment I'm Clap Your Hands Say Maybe.....and lets just hope in the future we see more of the band than their producers.
on 18 January 2007
I know it may take few listens to warm to this album but it really is worth it. Amazing production by Dave Fridmann and some truly great songs have made this album my favourite of 2007 so far. You won't regret the purchase.
on 11 March 2016
Excellent
on 16 December 2016
All Ok. Item in perfect condition.
on 22 March 2009
I missed out on their debut (Yep, I must have been on Mars), but from all accounts it was a bit of a starry affair, pomp and circumstance (or should that circus, as in media..?). So, along comes the follow up, and having heard one pretty good track on an Uncut freebie (Underwater) I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended).
I won't mince words here. it is drivel, pointless and punchless..apart from the aforesaid Underwater, which does turn out to be a really good indie song, a really good indie tune, a really good indie performance/production.
I spent a few years reviewing alt rock/indie/Americana etc. and never put a bad word in print about any of it, always concentrating on featuring positive stuff in my fanzine, She Took His Breath Away. The only reason I have bothered to write this is that because of Underwater (and maybe Five Easy Pieces, the last two tracks on the album), it is obvious that they could go places. If they just get out their old route map again, ditch the 'glories' of Sat Nav and pretend it was some bunch of clones that made this schlock, we could see such a renaissance of their music. (oh, yeah, Five Easy Pieces makes it double worthwhile to not give up on them). What a shame it wasn't a glorious 2 track single!
on 28 February 2016
on 12 July 2007
I can not warm to this album. I want to, I'm playing it over and over, giving it a break for a couple of days and trying again but no luck. Ok, I thought, try them live. I went to their concert on Tuesday in Düsseldorf. No better, I'm afraid - I left after half an hour. The only track that caused an eyebrow raise, I pleasant grin and a tapping foot was 'Satan Said Dance'. The rest was just noise that eventually drove me out.