on 18 July 2008
Having two pcs using USB Wifi dongles for over a year and having nothing but bother with my wireless network i added another pc using one of these cards.

It was 100% reliable in the new machine so i have now upgraded the other two machines to these aswell. Can't fault it. The connection has never dropped since switching. It never used to last an hour without some sort of hang up or disconnection before.

The unit supplied does not come with the antenna attached directly to the rear of the card as pictured, it comes with a 'remote' antenna on a cable so it can be positioned on the desk or somewhere with better reception than the back of your base unit.

One of the machines is running XP and two of them Ubuntu Linux (one 7.10, one 8.04) and all of them worked out of the box with no need to use the driver CD and no messing about with ndiswrapper on the linux boxes.
on 27 May 2009
For the price this card can't be faulted. Very easy to set-up, allthough I will say initially my router had to be entered every time I booted my system up. Until I realised after a very prompt email reply from Edimax that you had to add the details as a profile which holds the settings nicely now, this wasn't clear in the set-up manual. I get a full 100% signal everytime. I stay in a block of 4 flats and my 3 neighbours who are all older and I know they don't have broadband, yet this card still manages to get a signal (albiet weak ones)for 2 other routers, which I can only assume are in the next block of flats. Don't waste your money on a more expensive model. This is a must buy!!!
on 10 August 2017
Excellent
on 6 October 2008
Tried this in Windows XP, immediate installation and it found a WiFi hotspot from a business at least 600 metres away as well as our own router. Installed it with Fedora Linux with no problems and it should work with any distribution using a reasonably up to date Linux kernel. Performance seems OK and range not an issue in a normal (!) house. What you can't easily do unless your Linux skills are a lot better than mine is install Linux with a basic installation disc and download the rest of the distribution wirelessly, you need a more complete installation set (typically 3 CDs). This is not a problem with the product which gets 5 stars all round, the point is that the Ralink drivers are not on the basic installation discs. As others have mentioned the antenna is not as illustrated, which suits us well.
on 23 October 2009
In XP this thing works fine, although the included software is unnecessary and annoying. The aerial cable is too short in my opinion - barely long enough to enable it to sit on a desk if your desktop is on the floor. In Windows 7, your system will freeze without the latest drivers, which are available from the US Edimax website (not edimax dot com for some reason). Type 'edimax us download' into google to find them.
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2008
I purchased this network card because I required a card to satisfy both of my operating systems. I previously had a Linksys wireless G (wmp54g) pci card installed, and while this worked fine with Vista, it is not compatible with Linux operating systems (at least without allot of hard work).

Many thanks to the previous reviewer for pointing out its compatibility with Ubuntu, and as he says the card does not come as pictured, "it comes with a 'remote' antenna on a cable".

The wireless connection appears to be very good, better than my previous card. It maintains at least 4 or 5 bars in the Vista Network manager. For the price, you cannot go wrong.
on 24 January 2009
Received within a few days of ordering. I'd never braved mucking around with the internals of my PC before, but didn't really want something that plugged into a USB port, so went for it.
I also use WPA security on my WiFi which some other cards etc. don't seem to support.
My PC manual (HP Pavilion) gave good descriptions for fitting a PCI card, and in the end it was dead easy to fit.
I followed the instructions and booted up, ran the install etc. I found it easier to use Windows Zero rather than the RALink config tool. I quickly found & connected to my wireless network - but in the status line I still had a cross next to the Local Area Connection symbol which when hovered on stated that "A Network Cable is unplugged". However I soon found that I could ignore this - I was in fact online - but was just expecting that icon to show I was conected to something.
As I say above you seem to have to decide between the RALink config tool and the "Windows Zero" - I connected OK, but then started the RALink config tool and lost the connection, so imho better to stick to the Windows Zero and not start up the RALink config tool.
All seemed to now be working OK, but I then found that I got an annoying three beeps from Windows XP after I signed in to Windows. I finally worked out that the RALink software had added itself to the Start Up programs - removing this got rid of the three beeps.
On occasion, the PC hasn't managed to connect to Wifi on start-up - I think this may have been when I still had RAlink running in the start-up - but this is quick to resolve - simply disconnect & reconnect to the network and it then works fine.
So in summary, an easy install, quick to connect and works fine with WPA encryption. I'd recommend using Windows config rather than RAlink & remove RAlink from start-up programs.
on 4 November 2008
After changing my ISP I received a new wireless ADSL router (Siemens Gigaset SE587) and then found it necessary to replace an old wireless network card on a very old desktop PC. It was for this reason I was looking for a budget priced PCI WiFi card which supported the newer security levels (WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK) and would also provide a strong and reliable signal strength.

After reading the unanimous 5 star reviews for this product I considered the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card a safe bet!

MY FINDINGS
-------------
The card only comes with the remote antenna. Its not a problem, just a point of clarification (see my customer image for details).

Before installing the card I downloaded the latest Windows XP device driver from the Edimax website (I would always recommend downloading driver and/or firmware when available as standard practice).

After installing the card I used the Edimax Configuration Tool which was extremely easy to use. However, the following day after switching the PC back on the network card wouldn't connect to the network without me first re-selecting the network and entering the security details. After testing this several times I realised the settings weren't being saved after each reboot (OS Windows XP Professional).

I logged a support call via the Edimax website (Saturday evening).

I then decided configure the network card in the same way I have configured all my other network cards on other computers using the standard Microsoft Zero Configuration Tool (Windows XP/Vista). On this occasion the network security details were saved.

The Edimax Configuration Tool is still useful for identifying other networks in the area and confirming the channels they are using. As a result of this information I experimented with several recommended standard wireless channels on the network and improved the signal strength from 75% to 99% (at both strengths the card consistently performed at a connection speed of 54Mbps).

I received a technical response via email from Edimax on the morning of the next business day (Monday). The solution was different from mine so I followed it up with a telephone call and promptly spoke to same support person who had responded via email. She was both helpful and friendly. However, I stuck with my original solution as it was working.

I have been using the card for 10 days and it has performed both reliably and to a high standard.

Originally, I was going to break with ranks and award the Edimax WiFi card with a respectable 4 star rating due to the software configuration issue. However, the prompt, helpful and friendly response has compensated for this initial shortfall.

UPDATED INFORMATION
-------------------
Since writing my original review I have found a new lease of life for both my old desktop computer (from 2001) and the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card.

I have installed the Linux operating system, Ubuntu (which is free). The problem with the various forms of Linux (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE etc) is finding the necessary devices drivers. This good news is that Ubuntu recognised the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card straight away!

I have also used the card on both a Windows Vista and Windows 7 computer.
review image
on 4 March 2009
This would have got 5 stars had it not been for two niggles. First is the picture shows the card with an attached antenna. This is not what it comes with. Instead, a small cable (about 1.5 metres in length)screws into the card and on the other end is a rubberised, round based aerial. This has the advantage of being able to place it where best signal maybe, but as I will state later this is not really needed and just causes clutter to find a place to put.

Second niggle is sometimes upon starting the computer the software will connect, and then disconnect from my router. This is put right by scanning again, and putting in the routers wireless security password. It does not happen always, but just a pain that once saved it should never need to be put in again.

Now the good parts. First off it is cheap, but well built. Easy to fit, CD Software was easy to install and the most amazing part is this: My previous adaptor was a USB dongle. This would get around 80% strength in my front room which is next to the router, but down to 30% should I use it downstairs. This adaptor gets 100% signal strength be it downstairs or closer to the router. Indeed, so powerful its aerial is, that out of the 32 houses in my street it picks up 21 wireless signals and the lowest being 18% strength.

So, if you live in a house that has dead spots normally this is a great buy for stable signal strength and high speed.
on 5 April 2009
Hi, I received this item with the packaging intact and the wireless LAN card in good working order. Setup was quick and after installation it detected my wireless network easily. However even though it said it had OK/Good signal strength it would see the wireless network but has trouble connecting to it. Sometimes it would work fine and other times it required a reboot.
I am trying to connect to a wireless router about 25 meters away through internal walls, which I beleive is beyond the capabilities of this device when you want a reliable 99/100% of the time connection.
I have since installed the card on my parents PC; which is approx 10 meters from the wireless router and it works like a dream 100% of the time. For £13 it's a very good buy, but don't expect the range to go for miles. I'm still happy with my purchase as it work well at my parents house and that's why I have given it 4 stars.
David, AMD Athlon Dual 2.6Ghz 3Gb RAM Geforce8600GT Windows Vista Home Premium