Customer reviews

Invasion of the Body Snatchers [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change
Price:£29.99+ Free shipping

on 19 July 2005
Based on a Collier's Magazine serial by Jack Finney, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is an intelligent, superb example of its era and genre, with excellent direction and cast. Director Don Siegel said that this was probably his best film, though he deplored that the film studio (United Artists) made him add a prologue and epilogue, and tell the story with narration as a flashback. Though this format would weaken the chilling effect of the story somewhat, it is nevertheless riveting and quite frightening. When Doctor Miles Bennell returns from a business trip, he finds his small town changed, with people saying that their loved ones are "no longer the same." Miles also finds that his sweetheart of many years ago, Becky Driscoll, has come home after a 5 year absence, and a divorce, and they make a marvelous duo, quoting Shakespeare to each other, and with some dialogue that in the mid 1950s would have been quite racy.
Kevin McCarthy is marvelous as Miles, who runs a race against time and sleep to fight the pod people, and Dana Wynter is beautiful as Becky. There are others in the above average cast that will be familiar to old time TV viewers, like Carolyn Jones (Morticia of "The Adams Family"), Virginia Christine (Mrs. Olsen of the Folger's Coffee commercials), and Richard Deacon (Mel Cooley of "The Dick Van Dyke Show"). Among the credits, the great Carmen Dragon did the soundtrack, Ellsworth Fredericks the cinematography, and Daniel Mainwaring the bright and clever script.
The premise as I see it (and I think every viewer will bring his own interpretation to this film depending on his viewpoint) is still valid, as conformity is still king, and pod people are ever present. The 1978 remake is one of the few that lives up to the original, and is also highly recommended. Total running time is 80 minutes.
on 17 February 2016
Not just the best Sci-Fi movie of the 50’s, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is one of the best Sci-Fi films of all time. Brilliantly directed by Don Siegel (of Dirty Harry fame) it’s really chilling.
This Spanish Blu-ray plays in 16:9 which I believe is the original aspect. It’s in black and white, not the dreadful hand coloured version. The picture quality is excellent and looks as though the movie has been remastered. The default language is Castellano (Spanish), so you need to select Audio in the Main Menu and select Ingles (English), which is easy enough.
on 31 May 2015
I first saw this film at my local cinemas Horror week, so all week i could watch a double bill on any day,wonderfull times.
Owning a multi-region player i decided to go for a blueray region free from Olive Films in the states.
The quality is first class,sound and picture, I could find no faults, maybe the fact that there were no extras, that aside great.
This film along with The Day the Earth Stood Still are my alltime favourite american scifi movies.
on 16 May 2017
Great 1950s classic great bluray copy
on 11 September 2017
THE classic version
on 18 July 2017
Classic 50's sci fi , still packs a punch.
on 7 November 2015
Better than all the updates, much closer to the original story, the only change coming at the end. I always loved the book, and have been a fan of Dana Andrews all my life - and his, I think, don't know if he's still alive. A really good classic film. Never needed updating.
on 21 June 2015
Bought for my hubby it's one of his fav films
on 19 November 2015
Fifties America: big gleaming cars, mannequin-shaped woman with names like Becky Driscoll, mowed lush lawns, forever sunshine, kids called Jimmy with Brylcreemed hair, kitchens the size of English towns, fridges built like Sherman tanks, and everyone knows everyone. Don Siegel’s Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) is a cult sci-fi classic, but potentially a comment on America’s paranoia during this period.

Doctor Bennell (Kevin McCarthy), dishevelled and frantic, arrives at a neighbouring town’s hospital. We fade to a couple of days before, where he, suited and sane, meets two patients adamant that their relations are no longer the same people they were. After investigating the accusations he finds nothing wrong with the patients’ loved ones and instead recommends they should speak to a psychiatrist. But as more cases arise with similar symptoms Doctor Bennell and his sweetheart Becky (Dana Wynter) try to uncover what’s causing this hysteria.

If we wanted to get really smart, that doesn’t happen often for me, we could analyse this film as a cypher for the feeling of small town America. Watching this when first released must have been as frightening to those people as, say, Bryan Bertino's The Strangers (2008) is to us now, where something different comes into your perfect life and ruins it. Fear of outsiders, so prevalent in America back then, might be the approach of potential nuclear war, which was only a couple of years away from its peak in their history. In the film town sirens scream like British air-raid sirens. Even the title ‘Invasion’ would increase anxiety in the audience, comfortable in Cadillacs at drive-in movies on a warm summer’s evening, enjoying hotdogs and chocolate malts.

One pleasure of this film is marvelling at that old world of filmmaking, such as the driving scenes with the background whizzing by at one hundred miles per hour; and travelling along a straight road Doctor Bennell steers like he’s at Silverstone; or the way he recommends a drink for every ailment.

The script is well plotted; exquisite black and white cinematography; great acting, especially from Kevin McCarthy, resembling a young Donald Sutherland, who coincidently starred in Philip Kaufman’s remake: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). A delight to watch.
on 4 March 2013
A landmark in cinema, not just in sci-fi, but in cinema period. This film truly set the bench mark for high tension, suspense, and paranoia which the 1970's remake comes close to, but doesn't quite match. This is the film that introduced the idea of aliens that take over the world via the mind (the idea was first popularized by Robert A. Heinleind in "The Puppet Masters" and later turned in to the book Invasion of the Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney) and has since become a common theme in sci-fi and horror, but anyone who is interested in good films or the roots of sci-fi needs to watch this movie and if you have the time read Heinleind and Finney's novels as well.

I was 10yrs the first time I saw this film. I walked down to Hollywood Video (whom are now bankrupt) which was a few blocks from my house and since I was always attracted to creepy and/or horror movies, I thought this looked very interesting and I rented it. When I got home and watched it I was absolutely amazed at this movie and how terrifying it truly was, as prone to nightmares as I already was, I realize a couple of years back that this movie gave me nightmares for the next 14yrs it affected me that much. I watched it not once, but 10 times over the next week, and soon this movie was tied between The Lion King and itself for my favorite movie of all time.

When I watched the movie as I got older, the feeling of terror, claustrophobia, and paranoia never vanished from this film, it gives that same creepy feeling every time you view it. I am sad to say I can no longer watch it for this very reason, it gives me horrible nightmares, but I enjoy the memory of it and it still remains in the top 5 of what I consider to be the best sci-fi films of all time.

I highly doubt most of you will be as affected by it as I am, but I do hope you all enjoy it.

God Bless ~Amy