Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 24 September 2017
This is a work of total brilliance. I watched it first on tv and I knew at the time I would want to watch again and again. Scharma has ecome a total hero of mine. He is unashamedly and openly subjective and brings a massively creative and thoughtful analysis. Most of all, he is a rivetting and compelling storyteller. I couldn't possibly describe all that there is here, but I do urge you to see for yourself. One overwhelming theme runs throughout. Appropriately this can be loosely summed up as "What does it mean to be British?".Scharma's answer to this appears to be a loosely defined and slightly nebulous concept of freedom. The whole project for me is justified by the brilliant final episode in which he draws an improbable parallel between Churchill and Orwell, the interesting and provoking conclusion that, for all their differences, if the final conclusion of history is patriotism they would both be content. British freedom the gift to the world. Well, maybe or maybe not, but it remains one of the most beautiful and moving pieces of tv I have ever seen. One final thought, I'd love to see a similar piece on the 2 Blairs, Eric & Tony!
on 22 July 2017
An excellent example of how truly good the BBC can be when it wants to be, Absorbing, engagingly told and really informative. Schama picks and chooses his details to sketch the 'spirit' of each historical period and brings the characters to life as a storyteller while educating us as a historian.
on 14 February 2014
Before watching this, I had never been to the British Museum. Now, every time I visit London, I find myself drawn to this history, and I want to rewatch this series again and again. So much history in this country, both horrific and beatiful. Nevertheless, fascinating beyond measure. You could spend a lifetime delving into some of these stories. If you are a tourist and visiting England... these kinds of documentaries are well worth the effort of watching. History really makes the world richer.
on 21 August 2017
Just as I remember it, excellent
on 12 May 2017
Class
on 16 April 2017
Very good
on 13 January 2013
Simon Schama. A History of Britain. The Complete BBC Series (DVD)

So well done, a marvellous presentation. I recommend it for Schools so the the children will be captivated by their history. I had this on Tapes and am now delighted to have it all on DVDs.