on 13 May 2017
Terrible! Do not buy. Looks fine but locks do not work. Followed instructions as best i could but no luck in setting code. Then went through the 1000 possible combinations twice to try and open it to get out the files i'd put in. No good, none worked- big time waster. Had to break in with a screwdriver. 45 quid down the drain and a morning of utter frustration.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 September 2015
I bought one of these ages ago and didn't get around to moving into it for a year. When I did, I set the combination code but due to a fault in the mechanism, something went wrong and I couldn't unlock it on my very first usage. I had to break in with a screwdriver which damaged the locks as you might expect. As the window to return the item had closed, I was on my own. Faulty item. No recourse. Gutting.

Although the wooden box is reasonably robust the quality of the item isn't all that great, and the locks are rubbish. I'm pretty sure one or maybe both of my locks were faulty. They just felt 'floppy'. Usually with these sorts of locks you get a positive click as you rotate the dials. I didn't get that.

Very disappointing indeed. A lot of reviews praise these boxes for their quality and robust nature. I can't agree with either if those things. I also got into mine with a screwdriver in about 20 seconds so not massively secure.
on 25 January 2016
Item had been described spot on by the seller,so I'm happy with the case. It's light but sturdy, combination locks are easy to set, but don't expect a bomb proof case at this price ! A security item for valuables this is not ( anybody would do the latches in under a minute with a half decent knife) but a case to sit in the office and keep things a little more private or to travel with not very important files it is totally adequate for my needs, hence 5 stars.
on 16 June 2016
I bought the foolscap rather than a4 version, and the case, not the Jaeger chest.
Feels solid, looks good. It your a hoarder, get the chest version. This will be fine for me to keep important documents in. If you keep everything, it's going to get full quite fast though
on 5 February 2017
Very happy with these cases, just what I was looking for. I had previously ordered a cheaper version with a key that was pitifully inadequate. These fit into my desk, I don't need to worry about losing the key and they hold enough files for my home use. Very pleased. Although they are on the pricey side, you do get what you pay for and I am very satisfied with the product.
on 28 August 2013
I purchased this box for my elderly father. He wanted a lockable documents box and I thought, that having a combination lock, he would have no trouble with misplacing keys. The box certainly looks the part and is quite robust, but unfortunately the combination locks are not of the greatest quality and both failed within a day or so of each other after only one week of use.
I have since returned the box for a refund and have resorted to the more common key lock box for approximately half the price.
Full credit to Amazon for a first-class returns procedure - excellent. Shame about the box.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 October 2014
This box works well and is a good size. I use it for things I don't want my kids to access - medicines, contraceptions, small birthday presents, and it is good for this. I don't think it would beat burglars though, and could be easily carried away anyhow.

One problem is that you get one chance to set the code so you have to get the code right first time.
on 9 April 2018
Used for storing and filing music. I have two of them and they do what I want them to do. Strong metal strips and good locks.
on 21 June 2016
Having ordered a Cathedral one which was so cheap and badly made, thus is a breath of fresh air. A little smaller that expected but the build quality really makes up for it!!
2 people found this helpful
on 1 April 2018
Good quality works well and looks very nice