Customer reviews

Overtones
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 September 2017
Love Just Jack ...this takes me back to the good old days we need more from you Jack 😎😎
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 June 2015
I bought this album after hearing the insanely catchy feel-good hit single 'Starz in their Eyes', dealing with the double edge sword of overnight fame, and was excepting more of the same. It came as quite a surprise then, that not all the other songs on 'Overtones' are quite as upbeat, but that certainly isn't a bad thing, not when most of those tunes are just so cool, and the lyrics, loaded with plenty of attitude and wit, are as good as they are. The other hit single, the feel-good for the Summer 'Glory Days', and the funky album opener 'Writer's Block', are two more tracks that really standout on this album, released in 2006.

A lot of the tracks deal with Jack feeling low and full of despair, drug use is mentioned several times in other songs, but this isn't a depressing record at all. We also hear how Jack turned his mood and life around in the same song, which is virtually what 'Glory Days' is all about, and I found this very refreshing, particularly as someone who is slowly overcoming depression and anxiety. When you're feeling low, get this one played on repeat, listen carefully to the words, take them on board, and it really does help.

If you like funk/electronic music, you'll like 'Overtones' for sure, and be won over by Jack Allsopp's very distinctive voice and positive attitude. On record, he sounds quite similar to fellow top artists like Jamie T and The Streets, but certainly has his own identifiable style.
on 7 March 2012
It's definitely not a 'hard' album but there are still pleasures to be found in it.

Obviously there's the smash hit Starz In Their Eyes but that aside there are snippets of good music which get overlooked a little bit and need to be played quite a lot - there's quite a lot of funk, always a good thing in my book.

It is only him, and therefore there's not going to be choruses and guitar solos.

The story of young men in their twenties with nowhere to go and nothing to do is pretty good - shame it's such a common aesthetic.
on 18 February 2007
Like most newcomers to just Jack I heard "Stars in there eyes" and thought what a great track, who is this guy. Now I find myself sat here 3 hours later having listened to Overtones 3 times over and over again. It gets better every time believe me. The funky tunes get funkier, the streetwise lyrics get more street. This is truly great, modern british music. This guy deserves a lot of props and in my humble opinion is streets ahead of the Street, really does skin Skinner. No time, Writers Block, Disco Friends my favourite tracks.... Roll on the third album...
on 20 December 2007
I'd never heard of Just Jack until "Starz In Their Eyes" (which, on the album, is a slightly longer version than the single with a slow break in the middle) but I'm pleasantly surprised. The rest of the album isn't quite as upbeat as "Starz..." but it is worth getting if you were ever a fan of Galliano and their brand of tuneful acid jazz (":4" is probably the album closest in style to this one). "Overtones" is a bit more modern, though (plenty of cockney rapping and some surprisingly complex tunes) but that's no bad thing. This guy's got attitude but this album is very listenable and not at all abrasive.
on 12 October 2009
I just can't rate this album high enough.. Every track is a good one- No fillers. His lyrics are great and so are the tunes. Buy It!
on 18 October 2015
One of the best whole albums I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. The guy is pure genius with his lyrics. Backing vocals when needed are always on point. Each song tells a complete story. Not like most of the crap that fills the charts nowadays. I will enjoy listening to this album for many years to come. His second album all night cinema was equally as good, Just Jack is an artist I admire in many ways and I hope people enjoy his music as much as I do.
on 6 July 2007
I love this album so much!
Sometimes when I hear the innane whitterings that some artists attempt to pass off as lyrics (you know who you are Mr Mc Cartney,) I despair. Three wonderful minutes in which you get your message across; in which to communicate something intelligent or meaningful, and they say doobeedootralala nothing.
But I love this album....(ooh, did I say that already, please excuse me, I confesss to being slightly obsessed).
The tunes are funky, the lyrics poetry, and it has rarely been out of my cd player since I bought it. Every time i listen to it it just gets better. I especially love "No time", which is the cheeriest interpretation of a destructive relationship I have ever heard. Buy this album.
on 20 November 2013
Good album from Just Jack he's got a good sound and some great lyrics to go with him, good album
on 26 November 2014