Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 19 September 2003
Well where should I start?
This film rates as one of my all time favourites. For the past thirteen or so years I have played this over and over again.... and that's not just at Christmas time. Thank goodness the DVD has finally come out on sale cos my video of it has seen better days.
The film still leaves my brother and I in stitches even though we know it word for word. Clarke Griswold just wants to fulfil his ambition of a 'Big Ole Fashioned Family Christmas' but for one reason or another, things just don't seem to go Clarke's way. Full of hilarious one-liners, and plenty of wacky scenes, this film will have you splitting your sides. Watch out for the 15,000 twinkle lights Clarke attempts to put onto the house - you'll be crying from laughter. Well, for my money he's added to my Christmas' in a big way and given me hours and hours of enjoyment. A classic for every household.
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2001
I discovered this film by accident a few years ago (recorded from satellite in error) but it had me and my family in stitches ... it's now a family tradition that we watch it a few times over the Christmas holidays - and we all still laugh out loud. Many 'laugh out loud' bits - but the 'Choosing the Christmas Tree, putting up the Christmas lights, the Squirrel incident, the loft scene, the lingerie shopping trip and the chainsaw scene' are particularly good ... but really the film is funny from start to finish...
on 22 September 2003
This movie is one of Chevy Chase's best!! Here he is planning the ultimate family christmas, and of course it doesn't go as planed! The opening scene is just faboulus...where the family is out looking for the perfect christmas tree.... Also they encounter the struggle of putting up christmas lights outside,and of course the unexpected christmas guests.
The movie is REALLY funny,but it also gives you the warm fuzzy feelings of family being together at the hollidays. This is a holliday-must in our family....we watch it EVERY year before christmas. Perfect for kids and grown-ups!!!
on 10 December 2015
If you're a fan of this movie, there's a good chance that you've heard about the remastered 25th anniversary stateside release. The U.K. re-release is NOT (repeat NOT) the remastered disc. It's the same shoddy upscaled release from '06 with the 25th anniversary cover art. Warner bros have been very shrewd on this fact, as not only does the U.K. release now sport a 12 rating (hinting at racier content), but it does NOT have the remastered banner on the back cover. So they've covered themselves very cleverly. I own both releases and the U.S. 2015 remaster is significantly better in PQ and AQ.

Don't ruin a videophiles Christmas with this cheap move from WB.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 30 December 2010
This classic is trotted out faithfully every Christmas in our household and familiarity just improves the experience. Although bordering on slapstick, Chevy Chase is just hapless enough to be believable. Who has not shared his experience of looking for that rogue bulb which is stopping the set from working but, of course, in his case he does not do things by halves - it is the entire house that is covered so it really is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

So top marks for the film. However, the Blu Ray DVD is another matter. Having got an LED TV and a Blu Ray player, we bought the Blu Ray version, expecting to be totally wowed. Frankly it was very hard to discern any difference between this and the regular version. So my advice would be, if you have not seen it the film is a real treat, but save yourself some money and buy the regular rather than the Blu Ray Version.
on 1 January 2016
It's a classic. The humour is at times crass, ott, and slapstick, but I just love it. Part of Christmas for me. The degeneration of Clark Griswold who wants a Griswold family Christmas, is terrific. Initially nothing fazes him and he is calmness personified, but as things start getting to him, he starts to lose the plot....brilliantly.
on 14 February 2016
As a family growing up this was a film we watched together on video every Christmas and very much enjoyed the self-satisfied yet good-hearted antics of Grizwold as he ploughed on against the odds in his pursuit of an ideal family holiday. Now buying to share with the grandchildren too. While there are many hugely funny scenes there are a couple ( in the store, as he imagines the family enjoying a new pool, some of the dialogue with his uninvited friend ) that do make me cringe a bit. So 4 stars rather than 5.
on 12 February 2006
This film is my best of all time.
My family watch it every year and we are never tired of it.
BUY IT- you will cry with laughter I can assure you!
on 9 December 2001
This film is the true story of christmas, The unwelcome visit of old relatives, the visit of relatives you would rather forget, the snobby neighbours, christmas expectations never living up, the fun of christmas and christmas memories, the dreams of perfect christmases,family? This is the only film which puts you in the christmas mood as soon as you watch it. A film you can watch every year and still laugh out loud without getting bored.
on 12 September 2014
This is a review of the UK Blu-ray National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

If you have only ever watched this film on VHS, TV or DVD you will have been watching the cut UK version which replaces one F-word with 'dancing'. For the first time ever we can now watch the uncut version of this film which I am all in favour of BUT unfortunately the packaging on the cover and disc of the Blu-ray states PG cert when it should be a 12.

If you purchase the box set with all 4 films you will notice the white cover on the disc and it has been changed to 12.
It is easier for a film company to use one master when authoring to Blu-ray and then up the certificate depending on country.

A recent example of this is 'Memphis Belle' which has always been a PG in the UK but was changed to 12 for the Blu-ray to allow the F-word that was always present on the US disc. The DVD remains unchanged.

If you wish to buy the Blu-ray to replace a DVD for the bump in PQ which it is, but not as much as you might expect then please do. BUT please be aware that it has a big, big F-word near the end of the film when Clark is flipping out which is not said quietly and which may surprise those that are used to the DVD.