TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 February 2016
I bought one of these back in 2013 and I have just ordered a second. Please note the original torch is still working perfectly, I am just so impressed with it that I felt I needed one for upstairs.

Don't be put off by the fact that this has a single LED, it is very, very bright. The focus on the beam is also adjustable so that you can have anything from a near spotlight to a fairly wide beam. The packaging says the beam will go 388 metres. I don't know if this is true and I don't really have any way of testing it but on the tight focus I can certainly shine a light on nearby trees and houses so it must be going at least 100m.

This torch feels very sturdy; it has a metal casing with a purposely roughened area so that you won't lose your grip in the wet. In spite of that, it has survived me dropping it without even a scratch. If anything, at 665g, it is possibly a little too heavy for prolonged use but apart from that, I can think of nothing to criticize.

It uses two 'D' cell batteries. Mine are still going strong after three years but in fairness I don't use the torch very often. I suspect that at my current rate of use, the batteries will expire before the torch drains them.

All in all, if you want a very good, bright torch then buy this one.
on 31 March 2016
A very well made torch (as you would expect) which is surprisingly light in weight (I disagree with others) and extremely bright, providing enough light to be able to walk in darkness and illuminate things to a good standard. I chose this one because it was LED so would hopefully be brighter and more energy efficient, meaning the batteries would need changing less often. Also with LED, the bulb shouldn't need changing. However, my only gripe, is because it is so bright it needs batteries replacing rather often with a number of different batteries. I am trying to find a high capacity battery to try and maximise the time before they need changing again. Apart from this, which I expected, the torch is very good and would be suitable for anything and should indeed last a very long time!
on 7 January 2016
Having finally got fed up with a filament-bulbed 2D torch whose beam barely reached the ground, I decide to go for a bit of quality. And this Maglite is top quality. A really solid feel with nice simple lines. It also lights up the place like a searchlight. The packaging claims over 400m of beam throw and I can well believe it. The only trouble is that my oh-so-smart Collie has decided that we can now play Fetch in the pitch dark. So if you have a smart canine, stick to a candle in a jam jar. Otherwise, don't hesitate to get one.
on 2 March 2014
As I said above, this torch is just fab and I also brought the same make but black as an xmas present. The black one was returned during xmas as it was faulty and didn't work correctly, we received a replacement black one and checked it and all seemed to be ok, until we actually used it for more than 5 mins, then we discovered that the torch became absolutely useless by dimming so dramatically it was absolutely pointless. So thats the 2nd black one that was absolutely crap. I would have said that the manufacturer had some serious issues, but this one is the same manufacturer and I absolutely love this torch. I am now hoping that Amazon can exchange the black useless maglite torch with yet another replacement (even though its now 3 months, but maglite torches do have a guarantee). If you do buy a maglite. Leave it on for 10 mins to make sure that it is in actual fact a fully working torch as these should be.
on 14 June 2017
I bought this for my evening walks through the local meadow during the winter. The light is very bright and the batteries last for several weeks. I'm using the Duracell MN1300 Plus Power Alkaline D Size with these.
on 3 January 2013
I got 3 of these to give as presents.

They are the newer, brighter, 134 Lumen ones, not the older 114 ones as stated on amazon.

They are simple to operate, with a single mode as well as a momentary on "mode" (If you press the on button gently the torch goes on, if you release it, it goes off.).

They are quite bright and throw their light at a large distance.

Good looking torches.

The zoom works OK.

They feel solid.

Note however that:

They are larger than expected; much bigger than normal 2D torches.

The spring on the back screw cap, which holds the batteries in place is very strong, making it difficult to screw in, with batteries inserted.
The batteries rattle.

Battery life is not great 9 (The 3D one is 10 times better).
on 17 August 2014
I love this torch. I turned it on in a dark room and found myself saying "let there be light!" It is really bright. I mean really bright. I have a garden that is perhaps 30 metres long. This torch made it look like daylight in the middle of the night in that garden. That is only a very slight exaggeration. It is quite a big torch and mean people will mock you if you buy it without actually needing it. It is not that heavy and seems pretty durable. It does not come with batteries. I only wish I actually had a good reason to buy it. People can be mean. Oh, it is not good for poking around in tight places as it is too big. It is good for chasing people through forests.....I imagine.
on 25 April 2015
Fantastic Torch really compact and very bright. I also have the Maglite 3D cell LED torch and this gives a very similar light output to it. I use this with a set of rechargable Energizer D cell batteries, I also keep a second set fully charged just in case. The batteries last a long time and light output is not effected by battery drain. If you need a torch which you can leave on the side and expect it to be ready to go this is it. I know there are torches available which have a higher output than this, but at this price you can't go wrong with this torch if you just need it for odd jobs around the house.
on 12 April 2017
Large but not too large and very strong. Easy to use and only a twist of top section is required to change size of light beam. Have bought one before and it lasted years so trust the brand. Would recommend
on 10 December 2014
This is a very sturdy and well made piece of equipment. However the battery life is nothing short of criminal and at £3 for a pair of Duracell that is a very expensive way to shed some light on something! In fact the battery life is so poor that at first I thought thee torch or the batteries were faulty and returned them for a replacement. Sadly the replacement is just as bad.

On the plus side, as I say, the torch is very well made and it pretty bright for an hour or so until the batteries start to fade and then it's just plain useless. Would I recommend it? No. Would I recommend it at half the price? probably still no.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse