Customer reviews

Octopus
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 November 2016
Keep buzzing great album thanks
on 2 May 2016
Great album, would recommend if you like their other work!
on 17 May 2017
Both good albums by the Bees
on 4 April 2014
This is one of those rare albums that doesn't rightly sound like anything that I've ever heard before. The Bees got lumped into the 'indie' category, which didn't really do them any favours. While its true that previous albums had a style that was more akin to 'indie' on previous efforts (particularly 'Free The Bees'), this album looses that style completely. It sounds like a band spreading their wings and soaring majestically into new territory. This album has slide guitar, soulful harmonies, jazzy brass instruments, 60s psychedelia and ska/reggae offbeat...and it works! It has a remarkable summer vibe and it is both relaxing and yet cheery and upbeat. Its Latin sounding songs like 'left foot stepdown', 'got to let go' or 'listening man' are truly unique in the world of music (that I am aware of). There are always moments that sound familiar, but I've never heard music of such vastly different styles mixed into single songs with such apparent ease. If I could liken it to anything that I've heard it would be 'War - The World is a Ghetto' if only for its soulful style and Latin influences. The albums does unfortunately loose focus in its last two songs, which are rather mediocre by comparison, but there is still a good 35 minutes of terrific music to enjoy and I could not give it less that a solid 5 stars.

Sadly The Bees faded into obscurity, being grouped with musicians that had a fraction of the innovation that these guys had. This remains their best work in my opinion and while I don't think that their other albums are essential, this one certainly is.
on 25 April 2011
This is an absolute cracker of an album, by far and away their best release to date. Full of rock, funk, jazz and soul, this has little bits of everything in just the right proportions. These guys are so talented and versatile in the number of different instruments that they can play. Really great, great stuff and definitely one of the best albums released that year, absolutely brilliant and well worth a listen. If you've never heard of The Bees before, I heartily recommend this album and obviously if you're a fan then you probably don't need any more persuasion. Buy it.
on 7 May 2007
I first heard the Bees through their second album, Free the Bees, and thought these are quite good. Then I went to their first, Sunshine Hit me, and thought these are amazing. Now I have brought this album and have run out of superlatives. The Bees produce wonderful pop music with loads of variation and invention which really is as good as anything created by their more popular contemporaries.

It is perhaps the variety of influences and the skill with which they are put together that really makes this album good. Take the third track, Left Foot Step Down, which could almost be dub with its hint of a reggae beat and heavy use of production effects. The next, Got to Let go, has an irrestistable jazz hook and an infectious happiness that had me nodding my head completly involuntarily. Further on we have track eight, the Ocularist, which has, I believe, some Spanish lyrics, and a sitar. Such a mad combination could have fallen flat on its face but somehow the Bees have crafted them together perfectly.

Lyrically they are also good. Though slightly nonsensical they don't push the boundary and become pretentious, largely because of the warm feeling that the album creates.

This work is quitte easily the best i have heard this year. It is brilliant pop psychedilia and refreshingly upbeat. The Bee's are easily the best band the Isle of Wight has produced and are one of the most talented British bands around in my opinion. Furthermore this truely is their masterwork thus far. In my mind they showed fabulous promise with Sunshine Hit me but were comparitively disappointing with Free the Bees, indicating that perhaps they had peaked early. Octopus suggests they could go on to be a truely fantastic band.
5 people found this helpful
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 August 2007
The Band of Bees has always specialized in sunshiney pop that sounds straight out of 1967.

Well, they're a bit less sunshiney in their third album, "Octopus," and this talented Britpop band mix up the vintage psychedelic pop with some other sounds. But fundamentally their music is still rich, neosixities pop, but given new spins that render it timelessly beautiful.

"Who cares what the question is/when all your love's in messages?/Glorious in tenderness/when they enter my mind/it's all you know," Paul Butler sings over vaguely countryish guitars and a squiggling keyboard, giving it the feeling of psychedelic alt-rock. That carries over into the southern "Love in the Harbour," with its harmonica and sensual seashore feeling.

But with the third song, we're into pure neo-psychedelic turf -- a dense pop tune full of sputtering Hammond and piano. It sets the tone for the rest of the album -- sleek shimmering hornpop, Halloweeny rock eruptions, joyously dancey psychedelica, vaguely jazzy psychpop, Spanish-style guitar ballads, and finishing up with the experimental "Hot One" and bouncy closer "End of the Street."

If "Octopus" has a flaw, it's that it's not as cohesive as the Band of Bees' past couple albums. Instead, it sounds like they're stretching their boundaries and exploring new styles, without losing their signature sound. They don't always succeed -- the first two songs are the weakest spot -- but when they stick to psychpop they are pure gold.

That's especially true because their psychpop has matured greatly since their last album -- the melodies are deeper and richer, even in the frothier songs. The solid percussion and driving guitars are wrapped in a colourful blanket of sputtering Hammond, rich wavering Rhodes, harmonica, blares of trumpet and sax to give it a carnival flavour, and the gentle ripple of your basic piano.

They even throw in some alarm bells and screeching tires in "Hot One" -- imagine how brilliant an entire album of that kind of pop would be.

With music that rich, it almost feels superfluous to mention that, oh yeah, there's some singing too. But Butler has a pleasant, smooth voice that tends to sink into the music, singing songs about being young and hopeful, or sixties-style odes to uncomplicated love ("Let love be the reason between me and you/As real as the morning, as fresh as the dew/If fate's got a hold then it's up to you/It's a simple thing we've got to do...").

"Octopus" has a somewhat weak start, but it rapidly blossoms into a little psychpop gem. This is music ideally suited for an autumn acid trip.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 March 2007
This is my kinda album. It's original and fun and upbeat and friendly and etc...

"Who Cares what the question is" is the first track and it's bluegrass/trippy/americana/psych/folk/rock

Beautiful. Then the sound developes into dub and more weird and wonderful genres. It reminds me a little bit of New Zealand dub music in places. It's def a summertime album, yet warm and deep enough to be enjoyed anytime.

The later tracks sound like something out of a Sergio Leone type wild west mexican stand off ...and they mix this with trippy dub styles that will either leave you smiling or tapping your toes till they get cramp.

WOW!

I can't recommend this album highly enough. I only heard their first single and I thought BRILLIANT. I took a chance on the album and it's a decision I don't think I will ever regret.

This is by far one of the best albums I have purchased in the last 2 years. I can't wait to go back and check out their other previous albums.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 May 2007
Having buzzed onto the indie scene in 2001 with the cult summer classic "Sunshine Hit Me", it's good to see the expanded Bees heading back to their IOW roots and recording what should have been the follow-up. Arguably this album is like a nice twist of the best of "Free the Bees" and "Sunshine Hit Me", and so presents the usual aural treat that Bees fans have come to expect. Cracking harmonies, chilled beats, tripped-out lyrics and 60's dub- welcome to one of British music's best-kept secrets.
9 people found this helpful
on 2 April 2007
I'd not actually heard of the Bees before. Not until I heard "Listening Man" played on Radio 4 one day and I thought, "I quite like that".

So I bought the album not really knowing what I was going to get.

I am still getting used to the genre of music. It's not "normal" and it's certainly not "pop". It's like a mixutre of Bob Dylan (without the vocals and harmonicia) and some other 60's icon I can't quite put my finger on.

If I'm being totally honest with you, it actually sends me back to being a kid and listening to "Folk in the Park" which was a gathering of hippies, kids and muscial instruments on hot summer Sundays in (yes you guessed it), the park. The album has that kind of lazy, unrushed, cider scented vibe about it.

Still. It's worth buying if you want something a bit different or at least want to increase your listening scope to beyond the plastic nonsense of X Factor replicas.
12 people found this helpful