Customer reviews

Desperation [DVD] [2007]
Format: DVD|Change

on 17 April 2016
I am really disappointed!! Despite it saying in the description that it is in Region 2, but when I recieve the product it is in Region 1. Now I cannot watch this product, which is annoying!
I wish to return this, as it is absolutely useless and not watchable!
on 13 March 2012
I read this book around 10 years ago and did enjoy the book after reading one or two weaker novels of Stephen King. This movie is pretty close to the book from what I can remember and I fully enjoyed it. The casting was overall very good and I noticed that Mr King has his favourites when casting (Trashcan Man) and the guy who played in Rock and Roll Heaven and the remake of the Shining (which I think is better than the Stanley Kurbrik one). Good solid cast, from the sheriff and especially to the young boy who played a fantastic role ahead of his years. Solid book, solid movie....good job!
on 11 October 2017
magic film
on 7 December 2014
Desperation can be scary in a sense but it is a brilliant movie to watch and i just totally love it as well and not able to get this film in a store near me.
on 15 July 2012
this film the way it started i knew i was in for a great film. then half way threw it changed its course spoilt it. why
on 9 July 2014
great film
on 16 May 2009
Another good Stephen King dvd to add to my collection.Although I prefer his earlier work I did enjoy this story.
on 17 January 2008
Unusually with Stephen King Films, I found myself liking about the film exactly what I liked about the book. I found myself equally irritated by things that I disliked about the book - which the film really could have taken the opportunity to address.

Set in a former mining colony in the desert, the best part of the film (and book) is the first part. Here we have plenty of weirdness and tension as a sinister (and huge) cop, excellently realised by Ron Perlman, patrols the outskirts of town hauling in travellers and visitors on trumped-up charges and displaying a marvelously acted mania, jumping from easy chat to screaming insanity and back again as he grills his victims on just what exactly they are doing in town.

The second part of the film deals with what this cop actually is, and why the town's population lie butchered and strewn around (in scenes slightly reminiscent of the 1980s Stephen King film "Children Of The Corn").
But my major gripe, notwithstanding the excuse that someone was trying to keep close to the original story, is the heavily layered preaching from the smart-arse boy. It became pretty wearying pretty quickly. Despite the survivors having lost wives, husbands, baby daughters within the last 12 hours, the boy's frequent reminders about why it's ok for a loving wonderful God to be so cruel (Conclusion: it's because he's God - well, that's alright, then) someone should have kicked him up the arse and straight down the mine shaft.
on 4 November 2007
The book was interesting especially in the descriptions of the decaying nature of Tack as embodied in the sheriff and any other being afterwards. To show it in flipping pictures has a lot less effect. The pangs of conscience and intellect of the main opponent, the one who is going to destroy Tack, or rather to bury him or it alive in the underground mine is less convincing on the screen. Yet the film is strange, just as much as the book was, because Stephen King inverts some essential elements of his vision. For him, over and over again, evil is on the surface and causes damage underground, in the doppelganger world that is supposed to support us and yet is obliged to bear the great destructions we impose onto it. Here evil exists underground and has to be buried alive back into that underground from which human greed has managed to get it out in the most brutal way: mining and exploiting Chinese who are transformed into some un-respected cattle. This simplicity of the relation between the surface and the underground world is surprising for Stephen King who has often accustomed us to more complex relations, like in the Dark Tower. That makes the film slightly superficial and standing only on the frightening leg. We would have liked to be terrorized in our minds more than out superficial nervous system. Apart from that it is well built and directed though the emphasis on God, of course the good old Christian God, is definitely excessive and it should have been widened up to a universal God, ,especially in the present period where some are willing to start religious wars against anyone who is of a different creed or faith.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris Dauphine, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne & University Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines
on 2 February 2011
Where do i start!, lots of important storyline missing, bad acting all round, some of the poorest camera work i've seen for a long time, in short, i would buy something else, does'nt come near to the book, shame because the book was well written.