Customer reviews

Hardcore Nation Classics
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£19.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 26 March 2007
and after being slightly underwhelmed the first time, I've had to revise my initial opinion.

It's very good.

Three discs:

1 - Hardcore: the most modern one in feel. Edging towards freeform, a little abrupt in some of the transitions, but can't really grumble about the track selection. You really can't have too much of "Injected with a Poison".

2 - Happy Hardcore: the one I was less impressed with the first time around. No idea why (must be a mood thing) but this time it seemed to hang together much better. "24 Track" is a cracker of a tune. On the other hand, "Boomstick" I could have done without, just once, on a mixed cd. Stu Allan's work, which accounts for the goodness.

3 - Old Skool Rave: not a familiar style to me, but this was the standout disc the first time, and it sounds every bit as great the next time.

If you missed out on the start of the hardcore thing, this is probably not a bad place to start. You can't beat it for sheer silly happiness. The drum'n'bass / breakbeat elements are disturbingly addictive.

So, I'm grateful for the chance to catch up on a style that went right on by me the first time around.