Customer reviews

Anglepoise Type 75 Desk Lamp - Brushed Aluminium
Colour: Brushed Aluminium|Change

on 22 June 2017
Got this lamp when it was on a deal, as there is no way I would pay over £100 just for a table lamp, but with a saving of over £70 on "Today's Deals" I had to have it, and I am so pleased I did.
I look at the least stars first for the reviews, and a few people wen't happy with the product, some got it on black Friday deals, some found that it was defective upon arrival, so I though that these may be returns that they are sending out. Nope! it arrived the next day, packaging was intact, it had never been opened, and everything was perfect, set it up within 2 minutes and everything works fine, and it gives out a good amount of light to work from.
Fantastic light, well built, and looking at it now after seeing it and using it, I would pay over £100 for this lamp if I ever had the need to replace it
on 30 September 2017
I've wanted an Angle[poise lamp for years. So glad I waited until I could afford the real McCoy. It is, quite simply, a thing of beauty.
Supplied with an LED bulb and needing only minimal assembly, I was able to use it straight away. I'm delighted.
on 23 December 2012
I had an Anglepoise lamp for about 20 years & it broke. This is a modern version of what I had & I love it. You can angle the lamp & it comes with a powerful long life bulb. Really pleased I went for this.
on 21 September 2017
Classics never age. Totally practical. A work of art / genius. Love it. I now have three Anglepoises, including the floor mounted version.
on 7 June 2015
Very nice lamp that I bought for my boyfriend's birthday. He loved it.
on 14 August 2017
Very nice and functional.
on 16 August 2017
Not bad
on 31 August 2011
I previously had a similar anglepoise which I'd had since the 70's - yes it lasted that long! This new lamp had to be assembled, with just a small grub screw holding the lamp to the base . . . It also comes with one of those toxic, mercury-filled curly whirly bulbs, which make it look slightly ridiculous. The instructions (and illustration inside the shade) specify use of the enclosed category of 15w bulb or balance is affected. I telephoned anglepoise and complained, saying I'd prefer a halogen, and why were they so prescriptive when it came to the bulb. They told me a 60w max E27 screw-top should be okay, but not too heavy or it might mess up the balance. I tried a halogen golf-ball type bulb and it then gravitated towards the ceiling. I tightened the grub screws on the side springs and it works okay now. Anglepoise make a big deal about their new design. Frankly I wasn't impressed and nearly returned it. I would describe this lamp as a poor parody of a classic original.
review image
33 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2011
I recall having one of the larger lamps at art collage back in the early 1980s and I ditched it in a skip after buying a "long lamp bulb" style lamp from a high street store. WHY DID I DO THAT! Now, I have gone back to the most iconic lamp (the 75 version) for my home desk. The "installation" took less than 60 seconds, and with the supplied bulb it is perfectly balanced. The bulb, by the way, is a screw-in version and is bright and WHITE-LIGHT (and turns on immediately without any "warming-up" time as you get with some energy saving bulbs. Impressive.

The base is VERY sturdy and heavy and will not allow the lamp to tip over. The desk clamp (at a pricey £19.00) looks interesting and will buy this separately later.

The only design issue is the "in-cable" switch - I am sure that earlier designs had a button on the lamp shade/fitting to press. This would be better than the "in-cable" version. A minor quibble. Very minor.

Overall, this is stylish and a talking point with friends & visitors already after three days!

John Lewis stores sell this for £110 (26.11.2011) and I bought mine during BLACK FRIDAY deals for £47.99 reduced from AMAZON's standard selling price of £75.00.

Yes, it may be expensive for a lamp but it will last for decades.
on 22 November 2012
I don't know how much wasted money I have spent buying the wrong desk lamps ever since I was a high school student. If only I had gotten this beautiful Anglepoise right at the beginning!

Pros:
- The movements are really fluid as others have said.
- Black matte finish is nice to look at.
- Base is solid
- Bulb included - light is a bit yellow instead of white, but I'm not fussing; it was included after all.
- Quick three step setup - place remaining two springs into place, place onto base, tighten bolt with included allen keys.
- Doesn't get too hot to touch at all.

Cons:
- Light switch is on the wire - I never really was a fan of these types of switches attached to the power cord. I've clipped the cord using a quick release clip on the wall so the switch is now on the wall, visible and accessible.
- The point at which the base and the leg of the lamp is attached is a bit wiggly. Not so much it would fall off, but enough to make me notice when I swivel the lamp around. I've tried tightening the bolt/screw but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.
- (not Anglepoise's fault) The lamp shade has 3 nicks at the top near the holes when I got this from Amazon. The packaging was intact though. It seems someone noticed it; as it's been "painted/marked/covered" with a layer of black ink/paint to make it less obvious. Not too happy about this. It's the first time I got a damaged product from Amazon, but I'm not bother returning it. I got this on the black friday sale for about 50 quids.

If you're looking to get a good desk lamp that's going to be durable with a good range of positions, stylish and to add some artistic statement to your desk... I'd say definitely go for it. Don't think this will go out of fashion.
review image